Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry, maybe a bit of a dumb question here. i checked the manual for oil capacity and it says around 3.5 quarts. i changed the oil and filter yesterday and to get it to directly between the lines next to the window, it held closer to 3.8+ quarts. i'm of course looking while the bike is as close to level as i can get it. do you think i overfilled it?

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Ummmm...seems high to me but if it's between the marks when level that's where you want it, so don't sweat it. Last time I changed mine with the filter, pulling the screen to clean it, letting it sit for several minutes,and rocking back and fourth to get all the oil out, it took 3 quarts, 8 oz. That put mine right at the top of those little holes behind the window which I translate to almost center,or a little higher than, half way between the two lines.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. i used about 3.5 initially and then added a bit more after a ride. i've spent a half hour down on the ground with a flashlight looking at that little window trying to decide if i should drain a couple oz's. :eek:

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Like I said...if it's between the lines don't worry about what the book says it should take. If you think it's too full, drain some. Peace of mind is priceless.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I actually heard that its better to be a little bit lower then between the lines closer to the bottom one

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
racedfila is right. I know from my hot rod days you don't want to much oil in the pan because the last thing you want is the crank splashing around in the oil if the pan is too full. That robs power but worse off it causes the oil to foam and get's all over everything. I don't know how the internals on these motors look or if that same principle applies but I still wouldn't want it to high. As long as it's not over the top line I'd bet we're OK.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the follow-up galaxy. i think i'll drain a bit...so i can be at peace. ever since i got this thing, i've been paranoid. sexiness has its price (so i've heard) :D

·
Registered
184 Posts
When i first got my bike it was over filled and the ducati tech at my local shop said that the oil went up into the airbox and came down the drain tube right in front of my rear tire

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
racedfila749 said:
When i first got my bike it was over filled and the ducati tech at my local shop said that the oil went up into the airbox and came down the drain tube right in front of my rear tire
:eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts