Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm Ryan from Korea and I just joined the club today.
It is really good to be with people who love motorcycle, especially ducati, like myself.
I have one question to ask you.
Now I have monster S4RS and I luckily have a chance to buy Forgaty 996R and Bayliss 1098R.
There is only one Fogarty 996R and three Bayliss 1098R here in Korea.
Both are brand new, but price of 1098R is about double of 996R.
Of course, there are big differences in performane and specs between two models. However what I really care is the value. What I mean by value is not about re-sale value but the value of having the one which someone who loves ducati thinks that it is the one you want to have for your life time.
Plz give me some advices.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
There is no Fogarty 996R. 996 SPS Foggy Replica, yes. But no 996R.

If you really want one for posing... well, get a Desmosedici. I´d buy the 996R, because it´s a cool machine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

If you really want one for posing... well, get a Desmosedici. I´d buy the 996R, because it´s a cool machine.
Thanks Ben.
I didn't know it wasn't 996R.

·
Registered
61 Posts

I'd defintely rather have the Desmosedici, but dont know if they are available in Korea tho.....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd defintely rather have the Desmosedici, but dont know if they are available in Korea tho.....
Yes there are about 10 Desmosedici in Korea, but I am looking for something that I can ride on the street too. Desmosedici is not able to be resistered here in Korea, so you can only ride in the racing track.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ryan, the 996 SPS Foggy Replica used to be sold in rthe UK in limited quantities.

Check out this Flickr photoset for images:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/giege/sets/72157594245094471/
Thanks ben.
I knew it is limited version but did not know it was made only in UK.
I heard they only made 201.(the first one for Fogarty and 200 for fans.)
The one I found here is No51. There is only one in Korea, and it's 0km brand new condition.

Ben, would you know how much it was when they were selling in UK?
Because I am not sure the price this owner asking me is resonable or not.
It is about US 30,000 $.

one more thing, what is the difference between sps and "R" version?

·
Registered
654 Posts
The uk foggy replica was £21,500 they made 202 of them, one ducati kept
and one for Carl fogarty the other 200 for sale to the public.
This was the only foggy replica made it was a 916sps which had the 996cc
engine in it like all the 916sps bikes.
the other version is the ducati factory sbk and then the ducati factory pista sbk, 996sps
that some people call, foggy reps but aren't.
this is mine and if its a true foggy replica it should have the tag on the
upper fork clamp.

brian.

The 996R had the first testasretta engine and in
my humble opinion was the best bike ducati produced.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I(!) wouldn´t fork out 30 grand for a 916 SPS. Screw the Foggy sticker kit and the badge.

SPS had a Desmoquattro engine like all 916 and the 996R, as Brian said, had the new Testastretta engine. Different frame, airbox, shower fuel injection, different engine management and new fairing.

btw cool bike Brian.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Owning a 996 SPS AND a 998 (modded)... AND having recently ridden a 1198S......

I'd buy the Foggy:)

Then again i'm supremely biased

Call me fickle, but theres something I don't quite like about the new SBK's...

a well sorted SPS is quite a ride!

The bottom line is what makes YOU happy...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I guess it depends what you want.

They are two very different propositions.

The SPS is a great bike and very collectible but is on an utterly different performance level to the 1098R.

I had a 998R and I now have a 1098R Bayliss rep.

The 916/996/998 is a great bike to ride and the best looking bike that Ducati have ever produced. It is a modern classic. Finding a nice one is also becoming increasingly difficult.

The 1098R however is a different animal altogether. The performance is in a completely different league. It is ballistically fast but pretty harsh and uncompromising. The Desmo is pretty similar.

If you want a nice road bike then buy the Foggy.

If you want to be really impressed then buy a 1098R or Desmo. Choice is yours. I made mine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree. The 1198 is the best engine that Ducati have ever made. The power and delivery is superb. It is an absolute gem.

The 1198S is probably the 'nicest' to ride as it is just a little less manic then the 1098 / 1198R. The R is the ultimate Ducati experience but can be a little too much most of the time. :)

·
Registered
862 Posts
Owning a 996 SPS AND a 998 (modded)... AND having recently ridden a 1198S......

I'd buy the Foggy:)

Then again i'm supremely biased

Call me fickle, but theres something I don't quite like about the new SBK's...

a well sorted SPS is quite a ride!

The bottom line is what makes YOU happy...

Yeah the power can be a little scary for some:)

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
996r..

I had a 996R for a short while and my relocation to Bangalore, India forced sale. However I could not live without a Duc so bought a 2000 SPS last month.

996Rs are rare - I looked for over an year. BTW there was cherry sample on sale on Ducati.ms for a very reasonable price recently. 998Rs are even more difficult to find - I missed an opportunity to buy one in San Francisco..

996R would be my choice - purely emotional; hard to argue against the performance leap you would get with the 1098 series but that is not your objective [rightly so]

Krishna

1 - 18 of 18 Posts