Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Send me his email.
Anders (at) mullo (dot) se

A good friend of mine is operationsmanager at one of Swedens biggest Ducati dealerships and he lives less then 30min ride from Sala.

Mutually beneficial at the very least.

I know of XBB in any case. Vehicle lighting is something Im familiar with, having added auxillary lights to all my cars since I was 16.

I have a pair of 10" lightbars on my BMW.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Ok.
Job done. Multistrada 950 and V4 lined up to go over to XBB for testing, thanks to Ducati Arboga. Now I just need contactinfo to Karl-Henrik. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a set of Clearwater Darla lights mounted on my front wheel and they are AMAZING. I run them at 50% and people still flash me occasionally. Talked to their sales team and they are working on a CANBUS system for the Ducati right now. They Clearwaters have a little nob where you can control the brightness which is great, its not just two settings. Their customer service team is awesome as well.

I am interested in replacing the factory fog lights with some type of Denali flood light as the Darlas are more of a focused beam.

·
Registered
2018 Multistrada 1260 S
20 Posts
I have a set of Clearwater Darla lights mounted on my front wheel and they are AMAZING. I run them at 50% and people still flash me occasionally. Talked to their sales team and they are working on a CANBUS system for the Ducati right now. They Clearwaters have a little nob where you can control the brightness which is great, its not just two settings. Their customer service team is awesome as well.

I am interested in replacing the factory fog lights with some type of Denali flood light as the Darlas are more of a focused beam.

View attachment 1004775
Yes they had their CanOpener product but they pulled it due to the same issue everyone is struggling with - detecting high beam on/off. They confirmed several weeks ago that they are working on it.
Thank you for sharing!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Following up on this project:

After discussions with a Ducati service technician regarding the use of auxiliary lights powered by the main power harness (not recommended due to possible control module 'no likey' situations) I went this route...

Utilizing the fog light 3-wire terminal (Key-On Power (ACC) Red: Left / Fog Switch Power Yellow : Center / Ground Black: Right) I purchase the mating terminal (not an easy task to source these btw) and wired in an AutoSwitch AS7 module (see pic) As these are parasitic solid state relays that require minimal power, I feel comfortable powering them from the fog light terminal vs a EM relay that could spike current back to the computer and throw a code or toast something expensive.

The AutoSwitch will trigger a standard EM relay via the Fog Light Switch trigger, which will in turn activate the accessory lights. I am going to further isolate the EM relay with a power control harness (INNOVV Power Hub). This is probably not necessary, but I wanted to avoid wiring the relay to the Aux ACC (Key-On) power (via the rear usb port) as I know this shares the same fuse as the Fog Light Terminal. Better to isolate power spikes from the relay on both ends of the system.

I am waiting for the Power Hub to arrive, so I do not have the lights operational, but I completed the wiring and installation of the lights (Diode Dynamics.. Fog on RHS and one Driving on LHS). I also tested the AutoSwitch via the fog light switch and the LED indicator lights indicated the all was working properly.

Due to the nature of the AutoSwitch and how I am wiring it to the Fog Light terminal, it will activate the EM relay and therefore the DD lights with a double tap of the switch.

Fog Light Switch Sequence:
Press Once (which activates the Yellow Center Wire)..wait for the AutoSwitch LED to flash..Press Again to trigger the A.S. to activate...which deactivates the Center Wire Power.
Same procedure to turn off the lights.
The nice thing about this is the Fog Light Power (Center wire in the terminal) basically never stays on, besides the two seconds to trigger the A.S. This makes it far less likely for the computer to sense anything that may cause problems.

The Diode Dynamics lights install took some time as I utilized the stock mounts that came with the Touratech/Ducati crash guards. I had to bend the mounts to make this work, but it all turned out well enough.

I chose one Fog and one Driving bc I wanted to :) In comparison, Denali equivalent pods use secondary lens/filters to produce 2 fogs and 2 driving (2 over 2) for each pod of 4 lights.
DD does not use overlay/secondary lenses as this reduces available light through refraction losses...another reason I chose this brand.

Attached are a few more images of the setup and I will follow up once I get the Power Hub and complete the install.

Happy Weekend!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Good afternoon folks. I'm sorry it's taken me so long to pop in. I'm the guy who made the CAN-bus controlled unit for amullo's friend. It looks like you guys have made some good progress, and that XBB solution sounds pretty awesome, way better than mine in fact.

In my solution, I monitored the CAN bus at the diagnostics port beside the battery. I can recognize any switch press in the left-hand switchgear except for the depression of the central signal cancel. That doesn't activate a switch, instead it causes the cancellation of the left or right switch.

My system was pre-programmed to respond to the desired switch in the desired sequence. I did not include any way to update the programming via bluetooth, or anything quite so user friendly as programming from a smartphone. That's a very nice feature in the XBB.

If you guys have any questions, please let me know. I'm happy to help if I can.

·
Registered
2018 Multistrada 1260 S
20 Posts
Following up on this project:

After discussions with a Ducati service technician regarding the use of auxiliary lights powered by the main power harness (not recommended due to possible control module 'no likey' situations) I went this route...

Utilizing the fog light 3-wire terminal (Key-On Power (ACC) Red: Left / Fog Switch Power Yellow : Center / Ground Black: Right) I purchase the mating terminal (not an easy task to source these btw) and wired in an AutoSwitch AS7 module (see pic) As these are parasitic solid state relays that require minimal power, I feel comfortable powering them from the fog light terminal vs a EM relay that could spike current back to the computer and throw a code or toast something expensive.

The AutoSwitch will trigger a standard EM relay via the Fog Light Switch trigger, which will in turn activate the accessory lights. I am going to further isolate the EM relay with a power control harness (INNOVV Power Hub). This is probably not necessary, but I wanted to avoid wiring the relay to the Aux ACC (Key-On) power (via the rear usb port) as I know this shares the same fuse as the Fog Light Terminal. Better to isolate power spikes from the relay on both ends of the system.

I am waiting for the Power Hub to arrive, so I do not have the lights operational, but I completed the wiring and installation of the lights (Diode Dynamics.. Fog on RHS and one Driving on LHS). I also tested the AutoSwitch via the fog light switch and the LED indicator lights indicated the all was working properly.

Due to the nature of the AutoSwitch and how I am wiring it to the Fog Light terminal, it will activate the EM relay and therefore the DD lights with a double tap of the switch.

Fog Light Switch Sequence:
Press Once (which activates the Yellow Center Wire)..wait for the AutoSwitch LED to flash..Press Again to trigger the A.S. to activate...which deactivates the Center Wire Power.
Same procedure to turn off the lights.
The nice thing about this is the Fog Light Power (Center wire in the terminal) basically never stays on, besides the two seconds to trigger the A.S. This makes it far less likely for the computer to sense anything that may cause problems.

The Diode Dynamics lights install took some time as I utilized the stock mounts that came with the Touratech/Ducati crash guards. I had to bend the mounts to make this work, but it all turned out well enough.

I chose one Fog and one Driving bc I wanted to :) In comparison, Denali equivalent pods use secondary lens/filters to produce 2 fogs and 2 driving (2 over 2) for each pod of 4 lights.
DD does not use overlay/secondary lenses as this reduces available light through refraction losses...another reason I chose this brand.

Attached are a few more images of the setup and I will follow up once I get the Power Hub and complete the install.

Happy Weekend!

View attachment 1004849 View attachment 1004850 View attachment 1004851 View attachment 1004852
Hi Divergenti,

Nice work and good luck with it. You solved most of what I’m looking for. I’m still being a bit stubborn for now in hopes that I will be able to switch the aux lights between dim and full power with the high beam switch.

Could you please tell me more about the connector for the OEM aux light hookup? What do I need and where can I find it?

Again, good luck and keep us posted. I’ll do the same.

Regards

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Hi Divergenti,

Nice work and good luck with it. You solved most of what I’m looking for. I’m still being a bit stubborn for now in hopes that I will be able to switch the aux lights between dim and full power with the high beam switch.

Could you please tell me more about the connector for the OEM aux light hookup? What do I need and where can I find it?

Again, good luck and keep us posted. I’ll do the same.

Regards
You can find the terminals on this website: corsa-technic ... The terminals are the HM-3S (the one you want in the smaller diameter of the two available options). The mating terminal, the one that comes on the bike is the HM-3P. I bought a few of the HM-3S in both sizes to make sure I got the right ones.

I will follow up when I have everything activated...have a great weekend.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Good afternoon folks. I'm sorry it's taken me so long to pop in. I'm the guy who made the CAN-bus controlled unit for amullo's friend. It looks like you guys have made some good progress, and that XBB solution sounds pretty awesome, way better than mine in fact.

In my solution, I monitored the CAN bus at the diagnostics port beside the battery. I can recognize any switch press in the left-hand switchgear except for the depression of the central signal cancel. That doesn't activate a switch, instead it causes the cancellation of the left or right switch.

My system was pre-programmed to respond to the desired switch in the desired sequence. I did not include any way to update the programming via bluetooth, or anything quite so user friendly as programming from a smartphone. That's a very nice feature in the XBB.

If you guys have any questions, please let me know. I'm happy to help if I can.
Nice to see you back Mark!
Would it be possible to make another box like you made Cay?
Also.. it seems it would be possible for you to send separate signals depending on what buttons you press on the left side? Would that include separate signals if the rider presses the PASS vs highbeam button?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Nice to see you back Mark!
Would it be possible to make another box like you made Cay?
Also.. it seems it would be possible for you to send separate signals depending on what buttons you press on the left side? Would that include separate signals if the rider presses the PASS vs highbeam button?
Hi Anders! Thanks!

I'd have to find my design files but I'm sure I could make another box. I tailored the one I made for Cay to suit his specific needs. I could do the same for you but the fancy Bluetooth programming would take a bit more time. :)

When it comes to the high beam vs pass switch, I may be able to detect the difference between the two but I'd have to play around with it to be certain. Worst case I could detect which switch is used based on the "on time" duration. Since the Pass switch is momentary and the High Beam is a toggle, I could look for a short press (<1 second) vs. a long press (>1 second).

·
Registered
2018 Multistrada 1260 S
20 Posts
Hi Anders! Thanks!

I'd have to find my design files but I'm sure I could make another box. I tailored the one I made for Cay to suit his specific needs. I could do the same for you but the fancy Bluetooth programming would take a bit more time. :)

When it comes to the high beam vs pass switch, I may be able to detect the difference between the two but I'd have to play around with it to be certain. Worst case I could detect which switch is used based on the "on time" duration. Since the Pass switch is momentary and the High Beam is a toggle, I could look for a short press (<1 second) vs. a long press (>1 second).
Hi Mroberto,

The device you created looks really cool. Very impressive. Is this something that you sell to those of us interested or is it a one-off sort of thing. Is it user programmable? I’m thinking about support and future updates.

Thank you

·
Registered
2018 Multistrada 1260 S
20 Posts
Ok.
Job done. Multistrada 950 and V4 lined up to go over to XBB for testing, thanks to Ducati Arboga. Now I just need contactinfo to Karl-Henrik. :)
Hi,

I checked with Karl at XBB a few days back and he said he hasn't been contacted by anyone regarding Ducatis. Do you know the status? Does the dealership still plan to loan a couple bikes for testing?

Thank you for your help.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Hi,

I checked with Karl at XBB a few days back and he said he hasn't been contacted by anyone regarding Ducatis. Do you know the status? Does the dealership still plan to loan a couple bikes for testing?

Thank you for your help.
Yupp. I talked with a close friend who is head of sales at Ducati Arboga. As I understand it Karl was going to take a trip over and have access to all their Ducatis.
It was mearly a matter of timing.
BUT.. My buddy has been on vacation last week. Should be back duting this week.

·
Registered
2018 Multistrada 1260 S
20 Posts
Yupp. I talked with a close friend who is head of sales at Ducati Arboga. As I understand it Karl was going to take a trip over and have access to all their Ducatis.
It was mearly a matter of timing.
BUT.. My buddy has been on vacation last week. Should be back duting this week.
Excellent! Thank you again. Hopefully, their connection will be a successful one.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi Mroberto,

The device you created looks really cool. Very impressive. Is this something that you sell to those of us interested or is it a one-off sort of thing. Is it user programmable? I’m thinking about support and future updates.

Thank you
The original device started off as a project for my own bike. I wanted to be able to trigger a garage door remote using the flash button and I didn't want to modify the bike at all. From there I made the light controller for Anders' friend which was another one-off. My system, as originally designed, had limited user programmability - only the button used to activate the aux lights could be changed. The XBB system certainly has me beat with their ability to interface with smartphones, etc. If they also provide firmware updates, then they could update their system to do anything.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Just had some contact with the guys at XBB and Ducati Arboga.
I would expect something on this in a week or two. :)

·
Registered
2018 Multistrada 1260 S
20 Posts
Just had some contact with the guys at XBB and Ducati Arboga.
I would expect something on this in a week or two. :)
Does anyone know if the 950, 1260, and V4 use the same CAN messages, i.e., if XBB learns from a 950 and/or a V4 will that recipe work for the 1260?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Does anyone know if the 950, 1260, and V4 use the same CAN messages, i.e., if XBB learns from a 950 and/or a V4 will that recipe work for the 1260?
Thanks
XBB will have access to all current models for testing. It sort of depends how Ducatis canbus operates. Lets hope they learned from Audi to re-use old integrations

41 - 59 of 59 Posts