Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Multistrada 1260 S
20 Posts
For anyone interested in a Can Bus controller like those available for BMW, KTM, and Harley from Denali, Clearwater, and XBB, perhaps if we can generate enough requests, they will bump Ducati up on their priority list. I was told by Hex (they make the Denali CANSmart interface) that if they get requests for Ducati they will put it on their list and possibly develop an interface. They told me they are currently working on new Can Bus interfaces "for Triumph and others based on demand". The same may be true for Clearwater who told me they pulled their CANOpener Ducati interface from the market because it wasn't working with the LED high beam. I don't know whether there's any sense of urgency on their part to get it back on the market, but maybe if they get enough requests they will make it a priority. XBB also has a BMW interface but nothing in the works for Ducati. Anyone interested should shoot those guys an email and let them know. Ride safe!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
This is some of the most useful info I've been able to find on this topic. Thank you!
One more thing I am still trying to find out is whether the Ducati fog lights turn off when the highbeam is turned on. I want to install aftermarket driving lights and I'm trying to figure out a way to have them run at low brightness during the day but switch to 100% when the bike's highbeam is turned on. So I need some sort of trigger from the highbeam. Does anyone know if can be accomplished using the built-in fog light accessory plug? If that's not an option, is there a solution out there?
Denali told me they were planning a CanSmart interface for Ducati, but Hex (the ones who actually manufacture it) said it's not even on their radar. Clearwater had a CanOpener for Ducati but informed me that they pulled it off the market because it didn't work with the Ducati LED headlights.
I was able to confirm using a voltmeter (see above on positioning) that the Fog Light Switch is independent of the High Beam Switch.
When the Fog light switch is ON, the Center Wire on the plug activates and this does not change when the High Beam is either ON or Blipped.
Hope that helps with your plans.

·
Registered
2018 Multistrada 1260 S
20 Posts
I was able to confirm using a voltmeter (see above on positioning) that the Fog Light Switch is independent of the High Beam Switch.
When the Fog light switch is ON, the Center Wire on the plug activates and this does not change when the High Beam is either ON or Blipped.
Hope that helps with your plans.
Thank you once again. It at least confirms that I still need a solution for what I’m after 🙂. If I ever find one I will post it.
Regards

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Sorry for being late to the party here.

As for controlling/getting/using signals from the 2015 onwards Full LED headlights.
A member on here (mroberto) made a custom plug and play light control box that fit under the seat on a friends 2015 MTS 1200S.
See the white labeled box in pic below..

The controller could be programmed for diffrent outputs, but it basically triggers a hot 10amp outgoing 12v on highbeam activation.
It could also send a second signal if you, for example, tripple flash. To trigger a garagedoor opener for example!

The solution was put together as a project, but if there is intrest, I can see if I can ping the user to come over in the thread here for a chat.
Screenshot_20210227-214156_Messenger.jpg
Screenshot_20210227-214354_Messenger.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

As for controlling/getting/using signals from the 2015 onwards Full LED headlights.
A member on here (mroberto) made a custom plug and play light control box that fit under the seat on a friends 2015 MTS 1200S.

The controller could be programmed for diffrent outputs, but it basically triggers a hot 10amp outgoing 12v on highbeam activation.
It could also send a second signal if you, for example, tripple flash. To trigger a garagedoor opener for example!

The solution was put together as a project, but if there is intrest, I can see if I can ping the user to come over in the thread here for a chat.
Interesting and thank you for adding to the thread...I think it would be great to get his input and see how the box works..It does sound like it has similar functionality of the Autoswitch.

·
Registered
2018 Multistrada 1260 S
20 Posts
Interesting and thank you for adding to the thread...I think it would be great to get his input and see how the box works..It does sound like it has similar functionality of the Autoswitch.
I second that ... and thank you

·
Registered
2017 Multistrada 1200S Touring
1 Posts

View attachment 1002979 View attachment 1002980
Yes, yes, yes, so much yes!!!!!! I'm in the midst of an install of aftermarket lights right now and I'd like to be able to trigger off of the horn and bright switch (both blipped and locked on).

Secondarily, I saw somewhere else someone use a "Sumito" plug adapter an connected to the stock Ducati fog light connector for the switch toggle as well that I'm researching. I don't want to have to drill a hole in the fairing if I can instead trigger off of the fog light switch (after enabling in the ECU).

·
Registered
2018 Multistrada 1260 S
20 Posts
Yes I read the same somewhere about the wire connector. Apparently you can buy the connector that will plug directly into the fog light connector on the bike. It’s a Sumitomo connector I believe, but there are many types and I don’t know exactly what to buy.

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
878 Posts
Have light s and Mounts coming. Interested in this topic. If you wan, you can trigger the relay w the GPS connector. Comes on w the pwr on.

·
Registered
2018 Multistrada 1260 S
20 Posts
Have light s and Mounts coming. Interested in this topic. If you wan, you can trigger the relay w the GPS connector. Comes on w the pwr on.
Thank you. Unfortunately, the issue isn't triggering the aux lights with ignition on, it's controlling dimmable aux lights with the bike's high beam switch. For the higher intensity lights you need to dim them during normal night driving with oncoming traffic (whenever your high beam is off), but when you need the extra light of your high beam you want the aux lights to switch to full power. You can do it with a separate switch but that's not practical nor safe in real world conditions.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
I usually run my VisionX Optimus with the dimmed "Halo" function on at all times and then have the lights come on full with the highbeam. But Im on a old Halogen setup..

Let hope @mroberto can chime in

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Anything?
I had contact with him through mail, and he stated he would try to swing by.
I will see if I can get him again.

Who would be intrested in a plug and play solution?

·
Registered
2018 Multistrada 1260 S
20 Posts
I had contact with him through mail, and he stated he would try to swing by.
I will see if I can get him again.

Who would be intrested in a plug and play solution?
I would be interested in learning more about it. Thank you

·
Registered
312 Posts
Me too!

·
Registered
2018 Multistrada 1260 S
20 Posts
FYI for those interested in an integrated solution. I just got this info from XBB. It sounds like a pretty cool concept....

On Mar 19, 2021, at 11:11 AM, Karl-Henrik Söderqvist <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi,

My only problem is that I don't have an Ducati to test on, I don't have any contacts with a dealer and so on, but if you have someone from that forum who lives in Sweden they are more than welcome to visit us in Sala for a read out! (approx. 1h from Stockholm)

For you information, We will release a new product called PP-CAN, It looks like a regular relay with two outputs (87 and 87a) fully programmable with CAN and bluetooth, you don't really need any recipes or beforehand CAN data to make it work, you just hook it up to the desired CAN-network, connect your smartphone to it and turn on/off the function that you want to use/registrer.

All the CAN data will then be sent up to our cloud server, analyzed and sent down again with the desired function within approx 30 seconds.

The best part on this solution is that our server will recognize if another user has used the PP-CAN before on the same vehicle and then you don't even need to activate any functions, it will send you a full list of functionality that already had been discovered by other users.

The recipes/functionality will be partly built by the users.

We will also open up the possibility for users to write their own recipes and change everything they want with all our libraries, so if you want, for example a PWM functionality for any output/function you can write it by yourself as a hobbyist.

All XBB products will also be fully interchangeable over the Bluetooth communication, for instance if you want to use the Dongle it can communicate with the PP-CAN to activate outputs, and if you have a PP-CAN but want to have more outputs you can connect it to a XBB PowerUnit and so on. All from our web portal and smartphone app.

Karl-Henrik Söderqvist

21 - 40 of 59 Posts