Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm splitting the cases on 900 Darmah and was told I can loosen the electronic ignition flywheel off the taper by "smartly striking the flywheel with a ball peen hammer." Anyone have experience with this? I'm loath to do it, but don't have a flywheel puller. Any advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Are you talking about the ignition rotor or the flywheel? The ignition rotor should just pull off; if it is tight then you need a small puller. The flywheel can be sprung off by placing a short length of soft metal rod at the front face close to the edge. The rod must be opposite the keyway, then give it a smart clonk with a hammer and the flywheel will spring off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean the flywheel. Stuck at the office so I can't try your advice, but I assume you mean put a rod on the outside edge of the flywheel and give it a hit to leverage it loose. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Before I found out about the hammer and punch option, I used to use a puller, but the flywheel was a bitch to get off - keep adding a bit more pressure to the spanner, heat up the flywheel, bit more pressure, tap the crank end, nerves shredded until with a CRACK! the flywheel shot free. Using the other method, one tap and the flywheel just fell off. Magic.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I used a puller and had to give the centre of the puller one good thump with a hammer to get the thing off. Be firm! Tell it who's boss.

·
Registered
109 Posts
thanks
great tip
I've had to take the flywheel off 2 times in the past and it was nerve wracking with a puller and tapping until the thing flew off!
I'll be trying the rod tap method next time.
Ian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts