Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a Ducati 748 2002 9,000 Miles, I haven't ridden it since I bought it, just switched in on a few times. Anyway... the day after I bought it I noticed what I thought to be an oil leak at the top of the cylinder head. I have since realised it may not be oil it may be fluid of some kind as it has no smell.
The leak starts at the top and it goes down the side of the cylinder head and seeps out the bottom.
This only happens when the bike is cold. It doesn't leak when you have the bike running.
Example: On Monday morning I start the bike and leave it running for say 30 minutes, when I have a look Monday night there is no leak. When I look Tuesday morning there is a leak, and it is on the floor, it leaks onto the fairing. Sometimes when it has been started the leak may not appear for 1 or 2 days. Or it will appear 1 day and not the next but then come back again without starting it.
Any help would be much appretiated, as it is really doing my head in. If you need anymore information please ask. Thanks.
I will try to add a picture so you can see.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Rod748, photos might help but you're going to have to do some basic troubleshooting to help yourself out......there are no "mystery fluids" in a Ducati. The fluid will be either oil, coolant, brake/clutch fluid, battery acid. Try feeling/smelling a sample of each from a fresh container and try to match it to what's leaking from your bike. (careful with the battery acid tho) :)

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
Not a very typical Ducati flaw, but sounds like a head gasket and the fluid is coolant. You can try to retorque the heads to spec. Otherwise it's a new gasket and hope the head isn't warped. Not doom and gloom if you are handy with a wrench, but some $$ if you need a dealer. Probably a good time to do a full service anyway.

And this is why, in the current market/economy you can get 748's for $4k and 996's for $5500. Unless you can verify service and condition, budget for service work.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Sounds like a head gasket, I've had the same problem with my old 748.
Try a re-torque of the heads. If that does not work then replace head gaskets, and while in there, change your belts.....

Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advise, I have since spoken to a Ducati Technician and have shown him the picture of the leak and he said it is coming from the front cylinder exhaust valve rocker cover. It is most likely to be a seal that has broken in a gasket in there, has anybody had a similar situation.
Also how do I upload the photo's onto here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another thing, it is leaking on the left hand side of the bike, no where near the head. The exhaust goes up into it. It is a clear/light yellowish substance that has no smell.
How do I upload photo's?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it sorted now, it is coming from the front valve cover on top of cylinder, there is a metal plate which is held on by 4 allen key bolts, under the plate is a gasket, to replace it will cost £30.
Thanks for all your help. :abduct:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Got it sorted now, it is coming from the front valve cover on top of cylinder, there is a metal plate which is held on by 4 allen key bolts, under the plate is a gasket, to replace it will cost £30.
Thanks for all your help. :abduct:
I thought you said it was coming from "no where near the head." The valve cover is pretty damn close to the head. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have added a picture

What do you think?
The leak is coming from where my finger is poiting and where the arrows are pointing.
I have been told it's the front valve cover,
The stuff leaking is thick like oil but is clearish with no smell.
once again any help would be appretiated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts