Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

161 - 180 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
When I was young, had never ridden a motorcycle before, a “friend “ let me sit on his running Triumph, then explained the clutch and throttle to me. I put it in gear, dropped the clutch, and rode straight into the side of the barn. I knew the theory of how to ride, but the reality was a bit more abrupt than I had imagined.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
I agree. However, I think we should have a tiered licensing system like them ferriners. ..........start small and work your way up. Its utterly ridiculous that complete noobs with no riding experience can purxhase whatever they want right out of the crate. Notwithstanding the dickhead dealers who push big bikes on people. I think its fabulous that the 300's and 400's have made a return. Some are actually extremely capable sportbikes.
"Someone" here rides a nifty little 400 Nunja on the track and I have been told he is quite a good rider on it. (as well as his other big bikes) I am certain by gettingon the track runnin the lil dawg makes him a better rider on the big dawgs simply because of what he's learned from the Nunja. (Not that he wasnt already accomplished before ) The smaller bikes: Not very expensive to ride and a perfect teaching aid.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
When I was young, had never ridden a motorcycle before, a “friend “ let me sit on his running Triumph, then explained the clutch and throttle to me. I put it in gear, dropped the clutch, and rode straight into the side of the barn. I knew the theory of how to ride, but the reality was a bit more abrupt than I had imagined.
Aw geez! Y'know, I had a friend when I was in the 8th grade that hadn't ridden before ... he lived across the street and hung around when we were goofing with our motorcycles. So I had a Honda TL125 at that time, mild mannered 125cc four stroke trials bike with a nice low and narrow seat making it easy for short little shits like me to ride it. Very unintimidating motorcycle. I talked my friend into giving it a try in my driveway ... went through the clutch and throttle control issues with him. So he pins the throttle WFO and dumps the clutch in first gear, does one of those "whiskey throttle foot dragging wheelies" right into our garage door. BuhLAM .. !!! That was his first and last adventure on a motorcycle. He was very unhappy with the result of his first ride, and very unhappy with me since I was nearly throwing up from laughing so hard at him! It was this fekking Keystone Cops scene .... I've just bursted out in laughter again as I scroll through the memory of it all!

:)

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I agree. However, I think we should have a tiered licensing system like them ferriners. ..........start small and work your way up. Its utterly ridiculous that complete noobs with no riding experience can purxhase whatever they want right out of the crate. Notwithstanding the dickhead dealers who push big bikes on people. I think its fabulous that the 300's and 400's have made a return. Some are actually extremely capable sportbikes.
"Someone" here rides a nifty little 400 Nunja on the track and I have been told he is quite a good rider on it. (as well as his other big bikes) I am certain by gettingon the track runnin the lil dawg makes him a better rider on the big dawgs simply because of what he's learned from the Nunja. (Not that he wasnt already accomplished before ) The smaller bikes: Not very expensive to ride and a perfect teaching aid.
I met Dave Aldana (famous flat track racer) once at Perris Raceway in the early 1970s, I think I was 12yrs old. Normally, you'd see Dave at Ascot on Friday nights banging bars at 90mph on the 1/2 mile dirt oval. That day at Perris he was racing in the 90cc class in a TT race. The 90cc class! I asked him about that, he told me that you'll never really master the big bikes until you master momentum. Racing in the 90cc class was all about strategy and momentum. He'd race at Perris TT on Sundays in the 90cc class to hone that part of his edge. Friday nights he'd be at Ascot applying the lessons learned while racing on a 90cc on Sundays.

:)

Here's Dave at Peoria TT ... jumping a 750cc Norton.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Cool facts..........I also have met Mr. Aldana at a bike show in Chicago. Laid back, sincere and very approacheable. I remember him and the skeleton leathers he wore. Back in those days, to be an AMA champ you had to run 3 styles of racing. He is also one of my childhood heroes. (and now, as well)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Cool facts..........I also have met Mr. Aldana at a bike show in Chicago. Laid back, sincere and very approacheable. I remember him and the skeleton leathers he wore. Back in those days, to be an AMA champ you had to run 3 styles of racing. He is also one of my childhood heroes. (and now, as well)

didn't you have to win road racing, flat track and MX to be overall AMA champ in the 70's?

That's hard core right there!

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
didn't you have to win road racing, flat track and MX to be overall AMA champ in the 70's?

That's hard core right there!
Yes sir. So 3 disciplines and win all of them to wear #1 plate.

Hard core is putting it mildly my friend.........

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Grand National racing had FIVE disciplines. And each one required an entirely different motorcycle!

1/4 mile "short track" dirt oval (250cc two stroke).
1/2 mile dirt oval (750cc).
1 mile dirt oval (750cc "mile bike") .
TT dirt course (750cc set up to turn left and right as well as jump).
Road Racing (750cc).

... we've really wandered off-topic here ... I guess that's what happens at 3:30am when two screwballs start talking! ....

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Well, I shit corrected............errrrr SIT corrected

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Well, I shit corrected............errrrr SIT corrected
Ummm ... not really I guess. I suppose it depends on how a person defines "discipline" when describing the different Grand National races. You could group all of the dirt track races together as a "discipline" just as easily as I left all five types of events as separate disciplines.

Makes us both right ... all nice and warm/fuzzy like. :)

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Ummm ... not really I guess. I suppose it depends on how a person defines "discipline" when describing the different Grand National races. You could group all of the dirt track races together as a "discipline" just as easily as I left all five types of events as separate disciplines.

Makes us both right ... all nice and warm/fuzzy like. :)

Oh you big furry teddy bear..................:love:

·
Still needs a life.
12,543 Posts
I cannot find it on You Tube, but there is a famous video of someone dropping a Ducati going nearly 0 mph as he is leaving the dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
So.................. I got thinkin again. (I know..............I know, obviously I don't do that very often) We aren't really bashin noobs here. If one were open minded enough, they might actually learn something "gasp" by reading this thread..................

File it under the title, "How to NOT look like a noob"

·
Registered
469 Posts
I humbly submit .....

- Riding my buddies 50cc Malagutti dirt bike up and down a 100 yard stretch of road (first time on a geared bike) and answering his shouts of 'change up!' with 'there's not enough room!'
and
- Dumping my first new bike (Honda XL125S) the morning I picked it up - the dealer never mentioned new tyres needing to be scrubbed in. In fact it took me more than 10 years to realise why I lost the front on that simple corner (other factors surely contributed, such as being a proper little squid).

·
Registered
2015 Ducati Hypermotard 821
3 Posts
Morning, folks. Newbie here. Just my second post on this site. Don't worry, I'm hardly a Millennial. Turning 50 something in August. Just joined the message boards the other day, posted the obligatory new guy introduction and threw a few pics up on my profile. Got my first ever Ducati, the 821 Hypermotard, just in time to not be allowed out to ride it (Hypercovid?)! Despite that, I've managed to sneak around 400 miles on it and only soiled 1 pair of undies. Been riding since I was 12 and the HM is the first bike I've owned that I believe truly wants to kill me. I bought it to rekindle my desire to ride, as I'd grown tired of cruisers just sitting in the garage. So far it seems to be doing that.
My purpose in replying here is to reassure you all that some of us get it. I now join at least 1 forum for every vehicle I have, Dodge Ram, Dodge Challenger, Pontiac Solstice, GPZ900R and even remain active in forums that I've joined and then moved on and sold that vehicle, Yamaha Stratoliner, Vespa, Lambretta, until I eventually leave because I've posted everything useful that I can post.
I can promise you that if I ask a question and it is answered, I'll thank whoever answered and maybe even contribute to the general discussion if I learn something valuable. I can't promise I won't ask a stupid question. I did a 4 year aircraft mechanic apprenticeship at British Aerospace in the UK. One of our instructors reassured us that "there are no stupid questions". Now I'm old enough and wise enough to know that is a load of bollocks, but if I do ask a stupid question, it will be because I couldn't find the answer on Google or the Forum search tool and genuinely didn't know it was a stupid question. Sometimes asking a few stupid questions can lead you to asking the right question.
I'll probably lurk for a while, as I learn this fine piece of machinery, until I get to the point where I feel any contributions I make are coming from experience. I have a wealth of engineering knowledge that I'm happy to share, but very little, so far, regarding the Ducati.

Best wishes to all!

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
I’m going to say, Everyone asks a “stupid”question every now and then, but if you try to find the answer on your own first, at least you have a good excuse. Now, if we can refrain from giving stupid answers, everyone benefits.

161 - 180 of 249 Posts