Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

141 - 160 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
OK that's truly painful. You can smell the guy's fear.

Good ol Rory at Munroe Motors in SF sold me a couple of Ducs back in the early Aughties. And I'd stop in periodically to grab parts, that month's CityBike, and see what new toy he'd throw me the keys for a ride to tempt me. Total enabler. One day he tells the story about a tool that comes in, total neophyte with a big tude.. buys a new Superbike then plows it into parallel parked cars across the street as he leaves hard on the throttle. totals the bike.The sport doesn't suffer fools.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
That video ... reminds me of the 1990s when lawyers and "professionals" decided it was cool to own a Harley. That little softy boy in that video is pretty much an allegory for those rich punks that wanted to buy into the lifestyle/culture.

Pretty boy didn't know that you put your gloves on after you strap your helmet up. If that can be called a ~helmet~.

He was dressed up like he was cruisin' gay bars. Look boys, fresh meat!!

·
Registered
469 Posts
It's really hard to not be utterly contemptuous of these 'buy-into-the-lifestyle" idiots, whether they subscribe to the 'I'm a bad-ass Harley dude' or 'I'm a rocket-ship racer hero' variety. So I don't really make the effort :).
Don't misunderstand me - everyone starts somewhere. But I believe it is better to earn your rewards in life through effort, sacrifice and experience. These days a lot of people have increased financial resources and, whilst the necessary things in life (fuel, housing, care) get evermore expensive, luxuries (big TV's, exotic holidays, big, powerful motorbikes) become more affordable. So you get plenty of noobs tooling ineptly around on the same type of bike you've spent 10/20/30/40 (oh shit!) years building up to. That's gotta grind your gears!
This isn't a rant - I'm laughing as I key this and fully realise that I'm sad and outdated and soon, if not already, I'll be outnumbered.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
OK that's truly painful. You can smell the guy's fear.

Good ol Rory at Munroe Motors in SF sold me a couple of Ducs back in the early Aughties. And I'd stop in periodically to grab parts, that month's CityBike, and see what new toy he'd throw me the keys for a ride to tempt me. Total enabler. One day he tells the story about a tool that comes in, total neophyte with a big tude.. buys a new Superbike then plows it into parallel parked cars across the street as he leaves hard on the throttle. totals the bike.The sport doesn't suffer fools.
There is (was?) a video on the you toobs that is nearly exactly the same scenario. Mr. Moremoneythanbrains buys his first motorcycle ... a 600cc sportbike. Video shows him leaving the dealer's parking lot, going full-on "whisky throttle" with his legs dangling behind the bike, crossing a multi-lane street and eating shit on the other side of the street. I saw it a few years back. Friggin side splittingly funny. Seemed to be the real deal (unscripted).

·
Bon Vivant
10,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
You guys need to relax. These tools are good for the economy.. they buy full retail, then pee their pants on the first ride, park it for six months, finally admit to they bad selves they don't have what it takes, and sell it to us. heavily discounted. with 1600 miles on it.
A few years back I bought a 3 year old ZRX1200 with 300 miles on it... (for peanuts)

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Not just new tires, but the new slick tires that haven't been scuffed in. Some are worse than others.

I almost turfed a 1200 Aspencade over 30 years ago, because of new tires and fresh torque.

I had cleaned the carbs and synched them, then mounted brand new Dunlops. The bike had been setting for a couple of years before the owner brought it to the shop.

Anyhow, I pulled out of the shop door to go test ride it, and stopped to say something to the Svc Mngr who was checking a bike in. I left, and the 'Wing spun the new tire on the greasy hot asphalt due to the improved throttle response of clean carbs.

The rear end stepped out to the left as I was headed to the right. I counter-steered a split second too late, and the bike actually slid the front tire for a foot or two before the front wheel snapped left. Thank God I stayed in it, or I could have been high sided. I didn't drop it, or even have to put a foot down....wonder of wonders.

Left two impressive skid marks on the parking lot. Well, impressive to me, but not the Service Manager.

An ass chewing ensued when I got back to the shop...

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Not just new tires, but the new slick tires that haven't been scuffed in. Some are worse than others.
My stepdad nearly biffed his Harley FXRT. He spent big ass money on Jerry Branch heads, a full Supertrapp exhaust, carbs, cam, and so on. Did he change the rear tire to something better suited to the increased power output? Of course not ... he left that hard as concrete Dunlop freeway tire on it. First time he gave the newly pumped up engine a good squirt of the throttle the back end walked around, caught, and nearly pitched his goofy ass off the bike. No novice he! He raced flat track for years ... just one of those moments where he should have been more aware of things. Dumb luck kinda saved his behind and his pride.

:)

·
Registered
719 Posts
Noobs is one thing, the influx of mechanical retards is truly amazing. Makes buying anything second hand a real lottery when you read what some people with the mechanical aptitude of a cantaloupe who get their hands on tools with a desire to "save a buck" can do!

I know we all had to start somewhere but if you didn't learn to maintain your CB250 when you were also learning to ride it then learning now on your brand new Ducati after passing your test is an expensive recipe for disaster, much more expensive than leaving it alone or taking it to a mechanic!

141 - 160 of 249 Posts