Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

241 - 260 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know that we have a new format and maybe a new parent company? but how are we getting so many new members? are we hitting new markets to find people? what is going on?
All Ducati leg humper squids..aka noobs. The unfortunate this is all of these monkeys could never ride a modern day superbike if it wasn't smothered in electronics that allow a novice with low to no real skillset ride a 200HP machine. Most of these guys will kill themselves on my 148 HP 996sps

·
Registered
231 Posts
All Ducati leg humper squids..aka noobs. The unfortunate this is all of these monkeys could never ride a modern day superbike if it wasn't smothered in electronics that allow a novice with low to no real skillset ride a 200HP machine. Most of these guys will kill themselves on my 148 HP 996sps
Ducati brand avatar, ranting about your own fictitious skills, chooses the name DucracerUSA (seriously?) Does it get any more noob than this?

·
Premium Member
739 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,631 Posts
No shit, who is this? Really?

·
Registered
54 Posts

How about this one?

·
Registered
478 Posts

How about this one?
Unfortunately I used up all my self-restraint on Pedro. Svensken got the response he deserves.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
LOL, the older I get the faster I was............................ ;)

·
Registered
2019 Ducati Hypermotard 950SP
30 Posts
Dunno, but they should learn manners... (yeah, i know don't say it....)

Simple manners like replying with thank you once members answer their questions, or maybe posting up if they find an answer to make the thread worthwhile for future questions on the same topic. To make the "search" function more relevant.

There are serial offenders and mostly noobs and i for one just ignore them if they can't have any courtesy....
Dunno, but they should learn manners... (yeah, i know don't say it....)

Simple manners like replying with thank you once members answer their questions, or maybe posting up if they find an answer to make the thread worthwhile for future questions on the same topic. To make the "search" function more relevant.

There are serial offenders and mostly noobs and i for one just ignore them if they can't have any courtesy....
i had no idea any of this was a thing. If anything, this information should be provided in the new members section or at least in the sign up section. Forgive my ignorance if it is, but I don’t remember reading anything related to this.

posting up if they find an answer to make the thread worthwhile for future questions on the same topic

I am new to Forums, and this forum. Ive never thought about extending these courtesy’s because I thought it was improper to reply on old posts/strings. For example, my 07 1098. I’m using information provided to the forum that was posted 10 years ago. It felt like a silly idea to reply to it and have it appear in the recent activity sections. When it’s been irrelevant for such a long time but it makes sense the way you’ve stated here and that I’ve bolded in parenthesis.

·
Super Moderator
5,008 Posts
What started out as an observation that there were a lot of new people joining the forum somehow turned into "noob-bashing." While apparently some of the members here were blessed with profound knowledge of mechanics and inner workings of Ducatis from birth...I'd like to point out that many of us had to start from scratch, i.e.: we were ALL noobs. All us "non-noobs" reached non-noobiness through different paths. Some from hands on experience starting from childhood, some through a parent/brother/friend that was mechanically inclined, some by learning on the internet.

That being said, I can understand the frustration of seeing the same old questions over, and over, and over again. Questions that a simple search through the archive would reveal the answers. This could be laziness, but, sometimes a less experienced person may not have enough info to know to look. It could also be a reason for someone to engage: a way to start a conversation.

Then there are the cases where there's a problem... forum members will suggest a logical course of action to follow..."do A, then do B, do C..." and the noob goes on to do C then X and dismisses A and B and wonders why it didn't fix the problem. That's harder to take...you've asked for help, you've been given the steps, but you choose to ignore the process and still ask for help. But...that's not just a noob issue, non-noobs can be guilty of that too.

Most frustrating yet is the: "ask for help, get an answer, then, s i l e n c e" scenario. Members invested time and effort in helping, then there's no contact from the original poster as to whether or not the proposed solutions worked let alone a "thank you" for your time. Often enough the problem is unique (or at least rare) and people are spit-balling ideas. I would be nice for everyone to know if one of those suggestions worked. Help expand the communal knowledge.

So, as I'm departing my soapbox, I'll just say that all of us view and use the forum differently, some use it as reference, some as a sounding board, but quite a few of us view it as a community of friends. We were all noobs at one time and, like our parent's taught us, a little "please" and "thank you" goes a long way.

·
Registered
751 Posts
posting up if they find an answer to make the thread worthwhile for future questions on the same topic

I am new to Forums, and this forum. Ive never thought about extending these courtesy’s because I thought it was improper to reply on old posts/strings. For example, my 07 1098. I’m using information provided to the forum that was posted 10 years ago. It felt like a silly idea to reply to it and have it appear in the recent activity sections. When it’s been irrelevant for such a long time but it makes sense the way you’ve stated here and that I’ve bolded in parenthesis.

It's more for members that post a specific issue question, like "why isn't my battery charging" for example, such an open ended question but when someone uses the search button and uses "battery" or "charging" it will populate with that thread.
It would be helpful if once the issue has been solved (if it has, i guess...) then the thread starter reply with what was his/her issue so that people who actually use the search button have something to check just by reading a thread with a solution rather than a hundred questions asking the same thing with plenty of helpful suggestions, sure, but very few, if any definitive answers on how their issue was solved.
It kind of makes the threads more valuable and regardless of how old or new they are they still show up with a search so the more relevant they are the more people will add to them so they come up more often and higher up the order, making the function more useful for everyone.

·
Premium Member
5,337 Posts
What started out as an observation that there were a lot of new people joining the forum somehow turned into "noob-bashing." While apparently some of the members here were blessed with profound knowledge of mechanics and inner workings of Ducatis from birth...I'd like to point out that many of us had to start from scratch, i.e.: we were ALL noobs. All us "non-noobs" reached non-noobiness through different paths. Some from hands on experience starting from childhood, some through a parent/brother/friend that was mechanically inclined, some by learning on the internet.

That being said, I can understand the frustration of seeing the same old questions over, and over, and over again. Questions that a simple search through the archive would reveal the answers. This could be laziness, but, sometimes a less experienced person may not have enough info to know to look. It could also be a reason for someone to engage: a way to start a conversation.

Then there are the cases where there's a problem... forum members will suggest a logical course of action to follow..."do A, then do B, do C..." and the noob goes on to do C then X and dismisses A and B and wonders why it didn't fix the problem. That's harder to take...you've asked for help, you've been given the steps, but you choose to ignore the process and still ask for help. But...that's not just a noob issue, non-noobs can be guilty of that too.

Most frustrating yet is the: "ask for help, get an answer, then, s i l e n c e" scenario. Members invested time and effort in helping, then there's no contact from the original poster as to whether or not the proposed solutions worked let alone a "thank you" for your time. Often enough the problem is unique (or at least rare) and people are spit-balling ideas. I would be nice for everyone to know if one of those suggestions worked. Help expand the communal knowledge.

So, as I'm departing my soapbox, I'll just say that all of us view and use the forum differently, some use it as reference, some as a sounding board, but quite a few of us view it as a community of friends. We were all noobs at one time and, like our parent's taught us, a little "please" and "thank you" goes a long way.
For the record sir, I wasn't "noob-bashing"... it's just that particular Far Side really hits the nail on the head for so many people, including by the way the bulk of my family. I don't often get a chance like this to use it, where it is soooooo appropriate. I had to do it...

;)

241 - 260 of 271 Posts