Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was about to give up on ever fixing my 1994 900SS/SP front floating rotors. Then I began to read posts written by other folks having the same issues.

So I am going to talk to my machine shop guy about making me up some new carriers for my discs. It seems like the discs last a good long time, but the softer metal of the aluminum carrier wears and allows for radial movement.

Would any of you have any interest in purchasing a set to repair your worn front carriers?

Trust me, I am not out to make a profit, it is just that the thought of spending $700 for new replacement sets puts me off.

Thanks for reading.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you know what the conversion rate is from NZD to USD? Those sound like exactly what I am looking for. I will now compare pricing from my guy to this company's item. Thanks so much for the lead.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Yep US$1 = $1.22 (approx) at today's exchange rate, so whats that, about US$565. Still expensive but made out of better stuff so should last a lot longer.

You're welcome. "Wobblyas" is the owner of that business.

Good luck.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I enquired with Wobbly about these, and at the time he told me he needed a certain number before he could supply them i.e. his guy makes them in batches or something. I don't know what the magic number is though.

Sounds like a group buy kind of deal needs to be done. I'd be up for at least 1 set, maybe 2 sets, whether it's just the carriers or the complete assembly I'm not fussed.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just a quick note..I bought some replacement pads from this mob in Queensland via Ebay & noticed on their website & Ebay site they also have the complete front rotors for the carby supersports eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d I'm always skeptical of Ebay stuff that doesn't say where its manufactured ..so its a safe bet it's from Asia somewhere..but it has the TUV rheinland approval & ADR compliance..so who knows?? Pretty well priced for a complete rotor..might have to do a bit more research methinks

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is all good info. For under three hundred USD, I would be inclined to buy a set myself. I will look into both avenues. If this awful weather persists here in Pennsylvania, I will have a ton of time to get this set up.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The problem ( well it is a problem for me anyway ) with the eBay discs is that the carriers are not the same pattern as original. The ones Wobbly has / can get, are the same as original. So if originality matters to you, there looks to be only one option.

·
Registered
293 Posts
PFM makes buttonless ductile iron rotors for less, that's what I would buy, but my carriers don't need replacing just yet.

·
Registered
664 Posts
floating rotors ...

The aluminum carriers of my front rotors also wore out. I replaced them with rotors from a 748, paid $100 for both rotors, and the new ones are 3 & 1/2 pounds lighter than the cast iron stock rotors. They stop me just as well as the old ones, and they don't jangle when you are rolling the bike around. And they use the same pads, so no change in the pads is necessary, due to stainless versus cast iron.
Win, win, win.

Fred

·
Registered
664 Posts
carriers . . .

Actually, they look like this. The buttons have worn away the anodizing.
Cast iron rotors (5mm thick) & carriers = 7.5 lbs.
Stainless rotors (4 mm thick) & carriers = 4.0 lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am running the same setup right now(mine were also about $100USD) used from ebay. BUT....I can definitely feel a difference in the lever with the thinner rotors. The originals had much firmer initial bite.

I am in no way paying $600 for a set of carriers.

I will update this thread as new developments occur.

The aluminum carriers of my front rotors also wore out. I replaced them with rotors from a 748, paid $100 for both rotors, and the new ones are 3 & 1/2 pounds lighter than the cast iron stock rotors. They stop me just as well as the old ones, and they don't jangle when you are rolling the bike around. And they use the same pads, so no change in the pads is necessary, due to stainless versus cast iron.
Win, win, win.

Fred

1 - 20 of 25 Posts