Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentleman,

It seems that a lot of bugs are affecting a number of STs recently, so I just wanted to add a positive thread about how wonderful Ducati STs can be.

Just returned from a great 1,000 mi. ride to the "thumb" in Michigan. Rode from Cincinnati up to Detroit where I met a buddy (Guzzi Norge rider); from there we rode north. The weather was wonderful, the roads were well maintained (though too straight) and the ST ran so beautifully, I have a hard time describing it.

Here's to hoping that all of us who have been having difficulties with our motos might get them sorted quickly and that those of us who have dodged the bullet this time around might all have a safe summer a riding.

Best regards,

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I had 52,000 mi. on my ST2 when I sold it recently. The only "nibbles" were the fuel line inside the tank, and a lousy coolant temp. sender for the ECU that made the bike run weird (unfortunately it was on a 2500 mile trip!). But neither left me hoofing, and I became more knowledgeable about the bike. Basically, it was trouble-free while it was mine.

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Touch wood, mine is a beautiful thing too, I just can't stop buying her things.

She has never let me down, touch wood again, just got her some 'new' panniers, and a comfort touring kit all courtesy of Ebay.

I have a 1000km trip planned for the weekend to see my Mum for her 69th birthday, so hoping for great weather and riding.

Long live the ST's!

Craig

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have a great ride

Dear Stick and cb,

Mine has been almost trouble free too and, as cb wrote, touch wood, it has never left me on the side of the road.

Hope that your ride to see you mother is a great one. Have a great time with your family.

Best,

·
Registered
117 Posts
30k trouble free miles on my '07, knock wood. I love to ride it and it loves to be ridden.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
No troubles with my 04-ST4s (48,000 miles) up until my accident. I was looking at other motorcycles yesterday. There is nothing out there like the Duc ST series. It is a shame Ducati dropped it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
14K and no issues except for temp sensor. (Wood-knocking as well)

I will give you all a report in a few weeks as next week I leave for a 10 day trip a'la ST, estimated miles @ 4K.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just did a 3,500 mile trip from No Cal to Jasper, AB and back. Road two up with the spouse so it was loaded heavy. Ran perfectly with no mechanical issues at all. Got 45-50 mpg. Weather ranged from high 30's to high 90's and the better part of a week of rain. The only thing that showed any sign of wear (other than tires) was the chain and I think the weather played a big part in that. All kinds of roads from freeway to twisty mountain roads. I can't believe how well it performed.

Jeff
2004 ST3

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm still in love.
18K+, never stranded. Only positive comments from onlookers. Slly grin each time I ride.
A few sets of tires, one CPS cleaning and I just ordered a new clutch today (I'm so excited).
What a versatile, fun, exciting, energizing, smile-inducing machine we have here...

·
Registered
18 Posts
a fine, fine machine

Couldn't be happier with the ST4s. Has made want to ride more and more. No problems at all. And Bill,there are a couple of STs for sale at the dealership in Salt Lake if your looking needs to range farther from home. Safe travels to all

·
Registered
3 Posts
whew - from new guy

I'm glad to read of the flawless performance. I'm a new guy here and just bought my first Ducati, a 99 ST4, last week. The next day, I had to leave it in the garage, so I have only ridden it a few miles. The bike is gorgeous and beautifully maintained (w/ records to prove it); it looks more like a three yr old bike than 10 yrs.

Reading a few of the stranded threads made me start worrying about whether I'd made the right choice. Since I'm totally anal about maintenance, I think I'll be ok after all.

I can hardly wait to get back to the bike and get some miles on her.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am on my second ST. I now have a 04 ST4s and I love it. Fast, beautiful and so far reliable. Had a great trip to the WSB races in Utah and was able to really let her rip through the middle part of Nevada. Unfortunately, my first ST, A 98 ST2 was not so reliable. I loved the bike, the handling, the power, but was let down 3 times and had to be towed. Twice the voltage regulatr, once the fuel line inside the gas tank, and a few times other problems that I was able to patch up on the road side and continue on. Even the salesman at the local Ducati dealer said that that should not happen in this day and age, breaking down on the road. I couldn't agree more, and bought the ST4s. I plan on keeping this baby for a long time. Ready for a trip in September up to Oregon along the coast from the Bay area. Maintenance is important, but some of these things creep up on you despite routine maintenance. Electrical issues give you no warning.

·
Registered
442 Posts
This is the thread that I have been wanting to post for some time. I have this positive feeling every time that I ride my ST4s. I put 19,000km on my first one when I lost it to a incident with a moose and now have over 58,000km on my current one with out a single issue with either one. At 40,000km I decided to spice up the power with simple tuning (Guy Martin head work, tighten up squish, cam timing and fuel mapping on a dyno) with the stock parts. I currently have 123hp/78lbs of torque. This bike runs sweetly at all times, starts and idles VERY WELL and can be brought down to under 2000 rpm in a high gear with out snatching. I have done all my own service from the beginning and only work on the bike in the winter - Ride in the summer. I see and read a lot of threads of people having problems, I don't want to flame anybody but feel that a lot of problems are self inflicted (often by a dealer). Ducati bikes probably get worked on to often! I am sure that if more Hondas were touched mechanically that there would be more Hondas with problems. Ride them more that is what they like!

Jerry
04 ST4s

·
Registered
125 Posts
Although not an ST4 or ST3, this all sounds like good news to me because I'm prepping (new tires, non-mechanical fiddly-bits from Desmo Times) my new-to-me 2000 ST2 for an August trip to Tennessee and back. I've put 1,000 on the bike since I purchased it and except for some occasional back-firing on spirited riding throttle roll-offs, it runs like a champ. From all that I've gleaned from others experiences and riding my brother's MTS1000 (2-valve motor) I'm comfortable with hitting the road.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Feeling the love...

What an excellent bunch of fellow riders. It is great to read your posts and to share good times. We own wonderful machines!

Best,

·
Registered
3 Posts
being prepared

So in the interest of being prepared on a trip, what are some spares that would be a good idea to take along on a road trip?

·
Registered
442 Posts
GOOD QUESTION, & what about tools?
What kind of repairs are you prepared and/or able to do on the road? I suppose you may want to be able to remove the wheels in case of a flat tire. You may want to have the tools needed to remove the fairing panels as it is hard to do much with them in place, after this it is a matter of deciding how far you might go with a "possible" road side repair. Likely some fuses, light bulbs, a power tester and a safety kit would be a good idea.

Jerry
04 ST4s

1 - 20 of 20 Posts