Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Two weekends ago I was in Perris, Calif., for the final pro flat track event of the season. Perris Auto Speedway is a half-mile dirt track about 80 miles east of LA, and the track is located at a fairground. There was a fair going on at the same time as the races and you could see the brightly lit carnival rides rising behind the grandstand. A group of Marine reservists brought a large U.S. flag onto the front straight for the opening ceremonies. It was pretty cool to see.

For racing photos I use a Canon 7D MkI, mounted w/either an EF70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM or EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens. But I also carry my trusty Lumix FZ200 camera. This little workhorse is the camera that I use nearly every day, even away from the races. I use it around the house, in my shop, on trips, and even I bring it along on dirt bike rides. It's not the best for taking pictures of fast moving objects, but for stationary subjects it works pretty well. It takes nice video, too. I used it for these photos.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Here are some more photos I took with the Lumix/Panasonic FZ200. While I was in SoCal a couple of weekends ago I visited the Petersen Automotive Museum. I had not been there since they remodeled the whole place a few years back. They are currently having special exhibits of Ferrari and Bugatti cars. That's really what drew me there. I also enjoyed seeing Steve McQueen's 1956 Jaguar XKSS. The museum is nicely lit and there are minimal barriers. The FZ200 w/its f2.8 lens worked well without using the flash.

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Whazzup with the F&R brakes on the Trump? Thought that was a no-no in Flat Track....
As usual, great shots!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Whazzup with the F&R brakes on the Trump? Thought that was a no-no in Flat Track....
As usual, great shots!
Thank you. The vintage Triumph is done up as a TT bike, where front brakes are allowed. It was piloted by retired speedway champion Sonny Nutter for a lap of honor, wearing the leather jacket and number plates of Skip Van Leeuwen, a TT expert from back in the day. Skip passed away in June of this year. He was 78 years old.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
They were back at it again at the Oregon State Fairgrounds last Saturday night. There was a good turnout of expert racers as people came from outside the area to tune up for an upcoming big-money pro race in February. There were two pro classes with cash payouts, 450 Pro and Open Pro. In theory, you can run a bigger motor than 450 cc in Open, but no one does. Everyone just wants to be able to race two classes and this is how they make it happen.

There were twenty-seven entries in each pro class, competing for eighteen main event grid positions. Each class had four heat races and a B main to set the grid, and each class also had a four lap dash-for-cash race for the heat race winners.

The first photo shows four of my young friends; Jeremy, Zach, Cole and Austin. I've known these guys since they were children. They are now fine young men and representative of the bigger crowd at these events. Three are in their early 20s, one is still a teenager. Two work at Boeing in Everett, Wash., building jet airliners, one is in college studying engineering, and the fourth is studying HVAC at a trade school. They are also pro motorcycle racers who travel the country on weekends and vacation, competing at the sport's highest level.

One of them wore my Go pro for the evening. Organizers don't allow video at big national championship events, but at little barn burners such as this they welcome any coverage. Here are a vid and some photos. Once in awhile in the vid, you'll see a flash go off in the infield. That's me, taking photos.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Another summer of fun and travel coming up. Big thanks to the organizers for giving me access. I'm looking forward to seeing lots of races, searching for great BBQ and other neat stuff along the way, and sharing the adventure on a couple of bike forums and on my FB pages. First stop this year is the Atlanta short track on April 7.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts