Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever drilled holes in the stock top clamp and mounted Monster/Cruiser style risers and flat track bars?

I can buy the complete setup from places like Spiegler, but the cost is prohibitive.

Just wondering if there is any issue with modifying the stock clamp. I actually have all of the pieces to do it in my pile of stuff. I would have to admit to people that my Duc is part Harley Davidson, but what the heck.

I understand that I will need longer brake lines and such, but that's not a big deal.

Any other ideas how I can get standard bars on the bike for cheap?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I'm not sure if I am just missing it, but I don't see what SS you have, so it will be difficult for anyone to answer.

If you have a post-99 bike, though, you will not be able to have bars that high because the fairing only allows for a slight increase in height, even if you bend the stays as I did to fit my CycleCats as I wanted them.

Can't talk for the older models, but I suspect you'll have the same problem.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I think it would ruin the intent of the bike, but it's been done before, just not by me. I think going the other way is better. Do the SB fork converstion and mount 999 clipons to the forks. I wimped out and put them above the triple clamp, but a real man would put them below the triple clamp....

·
Chilehead
6,979 Posts
I actually had to lower the bars on mine once I installed the CF fairings by removing the spacer above the bars, as otherwise the switches would hit the fairings.

I suppose if the bars are wide enough before the rise they could clear, though.

Tom

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure if I am just missing it, but I don't see what SS you have, so it will be difficult for anyone to answer.

If you have a post-99 bike, though, you will not be able to have bars that high because the fairing only allows for a slight increase in height, even if you bend the stays as I did to fit my CycleCats as I wanted them.

Can't talk for the older models, but I suspect you'll have the same problem.
Sorry I wasn't more specific.

The bike is a 1996 900SS/CR.

The stock fairings are toast, so clearance is not an issue. The bike is a 'project' that I bought cheap and I'm not intending to spend a lot of money on. It only has 12K miles and runs like a million bucks, but all the stock plastic is scabbed and many of the exterior frame/engine surfaces are very stained by a battery acid spill of some kind. It's not a looker for sure. The PO installed an AirTech SuperMono kit, but the paint is crap. I'd like to ditch the AirTech kit, but don't know how to get it shipped anywhere for an affordable rate.

My intent is to just run it naked as a commuter/hooligan bike. I'd like to get the bars up higher for a more comfortable ride. I've discovered that I don't really like clip-ons unless I'm moving over 60 mph or so... just too much weight on the hands and wrists for extended casual riding.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've thought about a naked 90's SS with a monster top clamp and handle bars. Sort of like a street standard for bombing around NYC.

I suppose I could find a Monster to work on, but I'm up to my ears in SS parts.......

Dez
NYC

·
Registered
29 Posts
....man of my own thinking.

I am going to a monster top triple/front headlight assembly. I've aquired all the monster brackets and bar, I just need the risers and headlight and I will finish off a la Naked 900SS. Although, drilling the stock triple may work too....good idea :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just buy the LSL kit from Spieglerusa for about $350 and just bolt it on. I did that on my '99 after having arm surgery and it came with brake lines, new upper tree and superbike bar(in gold of course). Install was a whooping 1hour for the whole thing. Worth the money for the time spent. Just another idea

·
Registered
29 Posts
If I drill the stock triple, I can keep my stock ignition location. I can just tap for the headlight bracket and the risers...maybe. I'll have to look at it when I get home.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
My intent is to just run it naked as a commuter/hooligan bike. I'd like to get the bars up higher for a more comfortable ride. I've discovered that I don't really like clip-ons unless I'm moving over 60 mph or so... just too much weight on the hands and wrists for extended casual riding.

Well, that's why you let you back and legs support your upper body and not your arms when you're on the bike. Your body weight should be on your wrists only when you're braking. You should be able to flap your elbows like a duck while you ride.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts