Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flyn should be here any minute :)

Got my bike back yesterday after having the full Termi system put on. What a difference in every way. The flat spot at 3500 rpm is gone. The bike runs so smooth and effortlessly. The power difference is amazing as well. Note that I was the original thread starter of "3500 rpm flat spot" and I am now satisfied more than I thought possible. And yes, it is closed loop. Termi changed over everything to closed loop succumbing to the EPA.

So, that was the good news.

I left the dealer and put about 75 miles on the bike and went home. I took the bike out after dinner and was about 5 miles from my house doing about 60 mph and the engine just cut out. No sputter or anything. Just dead. Had it towed to my home since the dealer was closed and then had it towed this morning to the dealer. I hope to find out what happened later.
Ken

Probably will get it back and they will say that we can get it to run only with the flat spot. If you want to no flat spot then we cant get it to work for you.
:(

·
Registered
295 Posts
Flyn should be here any minute :)

Got my bike back yesterday after having the full Termi system put on. What a difference in every way. The flat spot at 3500 rpm is gone. The bike runs so smooth and effortlessly. The power difference is amazing as well. Note that I was the original thread starter of "3500 rpm flat spot" and I am now satisfied more than I thought possible. And yes, it is closed loop. Termi changed over everything to closed loop succumbing to the EPA.

So, that was the good news.

I left the dealer and put about 75 miles on the bike and went home. I took the bike out after dinner and was about 5 miles from my house doing about 60 mph and the engine just cut out. No sputter or anything. Just dead. Had it towed to my home since the dealer was closed and then had it towed this morning to the dealer. I hope to find out what happened later.
Ken

Probably will get it back and they will say that we can get it to run only with the flat spot. If you want to no flat spot then we cant get it to work for you.
:(
My dealership here had just put the full Termi system on their demo bike that I rode on Tuesday. They were saying that the ECU that came with the system may have been the one for the Slip-On kit instead of the ECU that's required for the Full kit. Eariler in the day they were having hesitation/stalling issues with it. I didn't notice any on my ride, but just be forewarned....it may be the wrong ECU.

·
Registered
395 Posts
So……. before you had a dead spot and now you have a dead bike....things progressing quite nicely ;)

On a serious note: could it be the fuel pump hose coming undone?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So……. before you had a dead spot and now you have a dead bike....things progressing quite nicely ;)

On a serious note: could it be the fuel pump hose coming undone?
That was pretty good.

I'm going to stop down there shortly so I can check if they know anything.

I doubt it was an ECU issue as mentioned above or it wouldn't have run well at all. It wouldn't have run perfectly and then stopped. It ran perfectly up until it cut out.
Ken

·
Registered
102 Posts
...And yes, it is closed loop. Termi changed over everything to closed loop succumbing to the EPA.
I'm not sure I follow this. Termignoni doesn't make anything except the exhaust. The ECU is a Magneti Marelli component, and they and Ducati decide how the engine runs. The complete exhaust with carbon silencers is constructed without catalytic converter, is "for racing use only", and does not need to use closed loop operation, because there is no catalytic converter.
http://www.ducati.com:80/shop/category.jsp?catid=cat2060106
Who told you it was "running closed loop" after this update?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It wasn't an "update". The tech told me as well as my own two eyes looking at the 02 sensors. When I said "Termi" I was referring to the system that is sold as a kit with the ecu.

Ken

·
Registered
102 Posts
It wasn't an "update". The tech told me as well as my own two eyes looking at the 02 sensors. When I said "Termi" I was referring to the system that is sold as a kit with the ecu.

Ken
I'm not at all trying to pick a fight :), but I am interested in making sure information that is presented on the board is as accurate as it can be. As discussed in other threads on this board, just because the O2 (lambda) sensors are sitting in their bung holes on the headers, and connected by their cables to the ECU, does NOT mean the ECU is using the O2 sensor signals to operate in a closed loop mode at any point in the fueling map.

It's easier and more flexible (in case you need to return to street exhaust with catalytic converters and street ECU for emissions testing) to leave the O2 sensors intact and make a bung hole for them in the replacement "race" headers than to remove them from the bike and adjust the wiring harness and ECU to their physical absence.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No worries. I am not technical and am repeating what the tech guy told me about being closed loop. I was under the impression when I ordered them that it was open loop. The tech guy said he was surprised when he saw the O2 sensors. So, three comments:
1. Not sure therefore if open or closed loop.
2. The bike runs unbelievable.
3. I am sending an email to DNA and asking them.
Ken

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's the answer from the horse's mouth. I sent an email to DNA:

Dear Mr. Kloss,

Thank you for contacting Ducati North America.

We are happy to hear that you are pleased with the performance of your new Ducati Streetfighter. In regards to your question about the Full Racing Exhaust Kit, this is a closed loop system. We hope that you continue to enjoy this wonderful machine.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us or an Authorized Ducati Dealership. To find an Authorized Ducati Dealership, please visit www.ducatiusa.com and click on "Dealer Locator" or utilize our dealer locator by phoning 1-800-231-6696.

Best regards,

Customer Service
DUCATI North America
10443 Bandley Drive
Cupertino, CA 95014

·
Bon Vivant
10,996 Posts
Could it be that the new o2 sensors are the wide-band type and the new closed loop system is used to tune on the fly? This would be good news.

Did the o2 sensors come with the exhaust system or did you re-use the old ones?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could it be that the new o2 sensors are the wide-band type and the new closed loop system is used to tune on the fly? This would be good news.

Did the o2 sensors come with the exhaust system or did you re-use the old ones?
I have to ask. I don't know.
Ken

1 - 12 of 12 Posts