Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an email back today, sounds like they are on to it..

Dear Mr Black

Thank you for your recent correspondence and I must apologise for the delay in my response, with regards to the poor running at low rpm this has been reported to us by the dealer and with the information that they have been able to supply we have passed it onto the technical department at Ducati Spa who are investigating the problem and very shortly a fix will be available and your dealer will be in contact with you directly.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention

Yours sincerely

Steve Cox
After Sales Department

·
Registered
185 Posts
Spoke to a dealer today (not my dealer) and he called DNA in the States to discuss a customers bike with this problem. DNA said that they now of the issue and are working on a solution.
Ken

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Spoke to a dealer today (not my dealer) and he called DNA in the States to discuss a customers bike with this problem. DNA said that they now of the issue and are working on a solution.
Ken
Good to hear, hope it doesn't take more than a couple of months...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I wouldn't hold your breath for a quick fix. This is a problem that is inherent in the way fuel-injected bikes using closed-loop ECU operation and exhaust oxygen sensors function to meet the strict Euro 3 emission rules. I have an '08 KTM SuperDuke (awaiting delivery of my '10 Red SFS), and SD'ers deal with the same issue and same potential solutions. The solution is either to use a huge catalyst so the emissions can be held down even with richer fuel mixtures than stoichiometric (not really feasible), or to convert the ECU to open-loop operation (which is what a "racing exhaust" without a catalytic converter and an ECU change bring about for the SF or the SD). The latter is not actually a legal solution for street use in many states, but is not much enforced at present.
I just put a non-catalyst Akrapovic slip-on exhaust on my SD, along with an ECU remap that eliminates closed-loop operation. I will probably use the same solution (Termi racing slipons and racing ECU) with my new SFS, depending on how bad the problem is after I ride it for a while.
I'm interested in what Ducati NA decides to do to try to ameliorate this issue short of going to open-loop operation.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Yep ducati will be a bit hamstrung in solutions as it has to be emissions compliant.

Chris

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'll be interested to see. I doubt it is a TPS problem, as the same issues on other bikes are more fundamental to the fueling system. We'll see.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Flat Spot

A TPS reset doesnt do anything to fix the flat spot. I have tried this on both a customers SF an our current demo SF an to with no luck at all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So I just had my bike in for its first service and had them look into and from what I was told it doesn't sound like they are going to try and fix it. My techician called his rep at ducati and he said they've been looking into it but 3100 to 3400rpm is where they measure for emmissions so I could buy a ducati performance ecu if i wanted the flat spot gone... Soo that tells me he's saying we're pretty much SOL unless we want a new ecu

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
As Yogi Berra once said, "This is like Déjà vu all over again"

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Spoke with my dealer's Ducati mechanic yesterday about the flat spot/surging/stumbling isue...his take is that a solution will not be forthcoming as Ducati's hands are tied by EPA emissions requirements...

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well they may be tied by some strong fuckin rope if they dont sort it

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have been able to address "popping on decel" and "jerky throttle response" at low load and low rpm on various other motorcycles with Denso Iridium plugs gapped at the maximum for the respective bike. Gapping them too much causes a problem and gapped less than the max doesn't seem to do anything. Denso doesn't appear to have a cross for the 1098. I pulled my plugs and checked them and was surprised to find they were both gapped below the recommended .8 to 1 mm. While I doubt the motor can handle a non Iridium plug gapped at or over max, I thought they should at least work fine gapped in the middle. The gauge I was using had a wire measuring .89 mm so I used that. After replacing the plugs, I took a short ride around the block staying in first gear between 3k & 4k. It was better and a short while later I took another ride and it was better yet. I can't say it is totally gone but is now barely noticeable. I have not tried opening the gap even more as I haven't decided if I even need to. I should mention that I have Fat Ducs installed and at the 13.5 setting which also helped.

·
3,234 Posts
How easy is it to get at the plugs to check them?
Also, how many turns out on the bleeders did you go?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sorry to hear those that are having fueling issues...I just picked mine up over the weekend and (knock on wood) everything works as it should. Smooth throttle response from tickover on up...

·
Registered
18 Posts
The spark plug wires are held in with allen head screws. The horizontal plug is in the front in open sight. The vertical plug is under the tank. I removed the ignition switch cover (4 screws), the seat (2 screws), the plastic trim from the bottom of the tank (3 screws on each side) and the bolt at the rear of the tank. I slid the tank back and up. I held it up while removing the vertical plug (another person would be nice) with spark plug wrench that came with the bike tool kit (small end to loosen, large end after that to use the rubber to grip the plug for removal).

I did not need to adjust the bleeders.

I have about three hundred miles on the Fat Ducs at that setting and have not tripped a light.

·
3,234 Posts
Nice to hear. I'm still at the 12 oclock position, 13.5 i think, no more lights being thrown, but I backed off the bleeders a smidge. both are at about 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 turns out. I'm going to put some more miles on before another tweak. On slow throttle, the spot is there, on light/moderate throttle less obvious, on heavy throttle, I try to wear a seat belt :)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Bong .. I rode your bike before you bought it and it had a huge dead spot like all the others... and it had the termis on..... what did they do to it?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Spoke with my dealer's Ducati mechanic yesterday about the flat spot/surging/stumbling isue...his take is that a solution will not be forthcoming as Ducati's hands are tied by EPA emissions requirements...
This is the same thing my dealer told me. I have the termi system on order and this is a complete fix.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts