Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went back to my Ducati dealer (Speed's in Elkridge, MD) yesterday to inquire whether the Fat Duc O2 manipulator would adversely affect my warranty (that, and my buddy wanted to look at 1198's). They showed me a maintenenace bulletin email (dated Tuesday, 16 JUN) that stated that dealers are to adjust some screw setting (and yes - I'm an idiot for not recalling the details) and that I should bring my bike back in and leave it with 'em for a couple of hours - and that this should address the "flat spot" issues. I would have brought my bike in today for the service, but it's rainin' cats-n-dogs here in MD this mornin'. So, the bulletin is out there - maybe somebody smarter than me can call up their Duc delaler and get the details.

Oh, and my dealer said that the O2 manipulator would not affect my warranty, btw.

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
I picked up my bike last night,, and the whole way home I was looking for this flat spot.. I either don't have it, They fixed it, or I just don't know what to look for. .. FUUUUNN !!!!
I drove it to work this morning ... mmmmm

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm, if ya picked her up last night - and the bulletin came out tuesday - methinks maybe they adjusted yours before delivery? although to be honest, i never really noticed it much until a day or two after riding her (and esp sitting in traffic).

·
Registered
610 Posts
I test rode one and found it very easily just below 5K rpm. Glad they have a fix for it. That and the dang exhaust being in the way are my only grippes against the SF1098.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The service bulletin says that the ground wire needs to be tightened to the ECU on bikes with a VIN# B002437 and prior.
Ken

·
Registered
465 Posts
The service bulletin says that the ground wire needs to be tightened to the ECU on bikes with a VIN# B002437 and prior.
Ken
Where did you get this info? I called my dealer and they didn't know about this. They are looking into it.

I'm not sure how that could resolve what seems like a fueling issue but I'm no mechanic. I hope this is it!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I called the dealer that the original poster mentioned. If they are talking about the ECU, what do you think controls all of the fueling parameters as well as timing, and so on.
Ken

·
Premium Member
2012 Matte Black SFS
426 Posts
Ken
Can u get a scanned copy / location of that bulletin? Would definitely like to see it...thanks!

·
Registered
185 Posts
How can I do that? I just got the info from this forum and called that dealer. I'm just a poor schmuck like the rest of us trying to get our bikes running correctly. I am bringing my bike in next week for the 600 mile service next week. If they don't know anythign about the service bulletin, I'm just going to tell them to tighten the ground wire. By the way, I was told by someone else that the service dept should also use a 4 gap analyizer as well (not sure what that is), check that the throttle bodies are aligned, etc.
Ken

·
Bon Vivant
10,912 Posts
The ground wire is a separate issue from the op's service bulletin.

There are two things going on here, a loose ground wire and a "procedure" issued from Ducati about the flat spot. The techs are adjusting the air bleed screw on the throttle bodies.

I talked to techs at two different shops today, The air bleed adjustment, from what I can gather, has had limited effectiveness. I think it may help smooth the issue a little but so far is not a complete cure. The severity of this problem varies quite a bit from bike to bike so if you have just a minor flat spot the air bleed adjustment could cure your bike completely.

I'm taking my bike in next week we'll see how it goes...

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,232 Posts
I agree, there is only so much you can do with slightly adjusting the bleed screws. The ECU ground issue would be a situation where if it were lose, the ecu would lose power or throw a code and not start since the ecu does not have a complete circuit. Since I think the ECU is just a basic ECU, dealers cannot adjust the map or reflash them with a better map. That would defeat the whole euro3 tuning which is something they cant alter... hence when you purchase a DP ECU it is supposed to be "track use only", since you usually throw a full exhaust on at the same time, which eliminates the EPA required CAT, another "track use only" thing. Enjoy the aftermarket now, your children will not have the same experience. An example... no more open exhaust for bike builders that "manufacture" choppers. The answer was to start using SuperTrap exhaust systems.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Gee. that's kind of disappointing. I was thinking on the way home how could a loose ground wire cause the flat spot issue. Anyway, my appointment is next Tuesday. I'll see what happens.
Ken

·
Registered
188 Posts
I went back to my Ducati dealer (Speed's in Elkridge, MD) yesterday to inquire whether the Fat Duc O2 manipulator would adversely affect my warranty (that, and my buddy wanted to look at 1198's). They showed me a maintenenace bulletin email (dated Tuesday, 16 JUN) that stated that dealers are to adjust some screw setting (and yes - I'm an idiot for not recalling the details) and that I should bring my bike back in and leave it with 'em for a couple of hours - and that this should address the "flat spot" issues. I would have brought my bike in today for the service, but it's rainin' cats-n-dogs here in MD this mornin'. So, the bulletin is out there - maybe somebody smarter than me can call up their Duc delaler and get the details.

Oh, and my dealer said that the O2 manipulator would not affect my warranty, btw.
My dealer in New Orleans just did mine on my service....no more lurching or flat spot....whoppeeeeeeeeeee

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
flat spot

hey guys, i have an 1198s that was doing the same thing rally annoying, we fitted a full termi and chip which really improved it, [expensive bandaid] rode it around for a while and had the tps reset felt like the tps reset did as much as new pipes and ecu. i have a pc5 arriving soon and i,m going to get my mech to check the cam timing/ignition when he tunes it.i also have a sport 1000[06] and i think it suffered the same problem although it was disguised a bit more as the power is a lot less so it felt more like a like a flat spot[fitted a pc3 termis ,ecu]fixed problem . where as the 1198 s it s feels like it was surging[ due to more power?. if i end up getting a sf[thinking about it will have to do the same thing pipes, ecu,pc5 check cam timing/ignition. i wonder if all these problems are caused by ducati having to meet the adr, exhaust /noise /pollution regs,eg euro 3. another thing when i fitted the termis ,ecu to my 1198s and the bike was idling u could smell how rich the bike was running[too rich] when we reset the tps most of the smell diappeared. hope this helps, still a big fan of the sf. cheers derek.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My SFS has the Termi slip on, ecu and filter. I have the rich smell AND surging below 4k rpm. Ducati NA will be hearing from me on Monday.

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,232 Posts
With the Termi kit, your bike should be fine. If it's running rich, then you just need it to be tuned. The Termi ECU should be a "race use only" which ditches the whole Euro3 stock ECU mapping problem.

I whole heartedly agree that when "we" spend this amount of money, I think that "we" should be afforded both ECU's/Pipes. This is unquestionably one of Ducati's top shelf bikes... even more so for those of us who bought the S model.

The actual cost of the ecu/pipes is small for Ducati to produce. This is not the first bike to have this situation. The question is where do they draw the line where the "race kit" is part of the purchase. They do it with the Troy Baylis replica, the DDRR, and the 2008 1098R.. bikes such as the 1198S and the F1098S should probably fall into that category too. It's almost as if everyone is in on the scheme, accept the buyer. Or at least maybe the dealers need to just add that to the conversation so if you are financing, it can all be lumped into the loan, as opposed to going through all this steps, only to have to come up with $1800-$3000.

I guess I was blinded by lust and thought the tuning was not an issue, or at least not as bad a situation as it turned out to be. I guess we'll all see how this plays out.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Ken

My VIN is B00831 and I've not had a surging or flat spot issue, but will bring this to the dealer's attention next week when I bring it in for the 600 mile service.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My VIN is B00831 and I've not had a surging or flat spot issue, but will bring this to the dealer's attention next week when I bring it in for the 600 mile service.

Thanks for the info.
I was misinformed on this. This is an issue that had nothing to do with the flat spot issue. By the way, my bike falls into this VIN number and the ground wire was fastened tight.
Ken

1 - 20 of 21 Posts