Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a flat spot around 3500 to 3800 rpm? My bike is smooth until I get near this area and then it is really stumbly for lack of a better word. Once move past this range and hot 4000 an up and I am ok. I don't ride at that RPM but I got to go through it though. Anyone else notice this, and can this be tuned out somehow? TPS adjustment maybe?

Thanks,
Ken

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
Most all bikes have a smog-related flat spot around 4k rpm, it's normal. The best way to get rid of this is with a Termignoni slip-on kit with the ecu/filter. It will help a lot, however, it's not perfect.

My 1198S *really* woke up. But still is running lean below 4k rpm. Waiting for a PCV to be released so I can correct it.

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
On my S4Rs Monster with full termis and DP ECU, a power commander was needed to get everything perfect. The difference was night and day. I would suspect that this sort of work is needed on all modern Ducatis because of noise and emission constraints that we now all face. The details of the work done etc and outcome are here

·
Registered
169 Posts
Mine runs like a tractor at low revs around town :mad:but once I'm out on the open road it just pulls and pulls over about 3800rpm.:eek:

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have the Termis and I still have a slight flat spot in the low 3's. It has a audible sputter as well but it isn't really bothersome.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What RPM's do you guys typically ride at when around town or a highway. I mean riding other than when you are out there to push the bike.
Ken

·
Bon Vivant
10,919 Posts
Ken, I normally ride at around 4000 to 5000 RPM. My bike, in addition to the flat spot, surges at steady throttle under 6000.
The flat spot is not a problem anytime except initial take-off from a stop but I know it's not right and that it could be...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ken, I normally ride at around 4000 to 5000 RPM. My bike, in addition to the flat spot, surges at steady throttle under 6000.
The flat spot is not a problem anytime except initial take-off from a stop but I know it's not right and that it could be...
4000 to 5000 is my range as well. My bike only has the area in that one select range. It is true that it is only a bother when starting off. I guess it is more bothersome that we all have to have this problem and that Ducati delivers a bike this way. I would have to believe they could have tuned this out some with through a TPS sdjustment or something else. It's a shame to get a new bike and spend this kind of money and that have this issue. I'm sure it doesnt have to be that way either. I have had a lot od HD's and still have one. There bikes are certainly affected by the EPA crackdown causing bikes to rub very lean. In HD's case, the fuel injection and throttle response is as smooth as it can be. Of course there bikes run hotter than hell until you add slip ons, air filter, and PC111 or something like it.

One good thing I got out of this thread is that everyone is affected. Now I don't have to lose my relationship with my dealer by ranting and raving about my bike since I know I am not alone.

I may try the Fat Duc, but it will have to come off once I get my slip ons.
Ken

·
Bon Vivant
10,919 Posts
Ken, I have to believe that the bike is delivered this way to pass EPA and EC3 euro standards for emissions.
I'm sure that Ducati has made it as close to correctly fueled as possible.

I may try the Fat Duc, but it will have to come off once I get my slip ons.
Ken
why?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh. I'm sure it is delivered to be able to pass the strict EPA emmissions. I am not a tuner but I have to believe that having the bike pass the emmissions and not running smooth are not mutually exclusive. This would mean that every 2010 bike would run this way from every company. Of course I do not know if this does happen but I would doubt it is. My HD doesn't.

Did you mean why would I use the Fat Duc, or why would I take it off? If it was the latter, its because I heard that it doesnt work well with the slip ons and new chip.

I am curious if there are any downsides to the Fat Duc. Any warranty voiding issues?
Ken

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My guess is it's a lot easier hide a slight fueling issues when you have 65 HP trying to push 900 lbs...
But I'm sure all types of engines are different and have different sets of issues.

No. bad running is bad running no matter what it is. I actually later on I did smem work on my Fatboy (more like 600+ lbs) and ended up with 112 ft lbs torque (at 2800 rpm) and 104 hp at the rear wheel. Bike ran great.

I think I'd test that for myself.
I am going to.
Kem

1 - 20 of 52 Posts