Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, need some opinions. I just purchased the 1 piece CR fairing from sharkskinz and need to decide which color to go with when I paint it (or get someone to paint it...not sure yet). I have always liked the idea of a flat black bike (I would repaint the tank and tail as well). My other option is to match up the red and just go back to red. What do you all think? I would also re-decal the bike tastefully.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Ok, need some opinions. I just purchased the 1 piece CR fairing from sharkskinz and need to decide which color to go with when I paint it (or get someone to paint it...not sure yet). I have always liked the idea of a flat black bike (I would repaint the tank and tail as well). My other option is to match up the red and just go back to red. What do you all think? I would also re-decal the bike tastefully.
I'd rather be seen than to hide. Red is my choice.

·
Registered
68 Posts
When I first picked up my bike it was a terrible black paint job with runs etc. Before that was yellow. My finaly decision was to red. I didn't use the Ducati paint color but went with Ferrari red. I find it to be much more of a rich color that looks a lot deeper red than the Ducati factory color. It was more of a personal choice because I wanted to lose all the decals anyways.

Granted a blacked out bike looks pretty sweet, most flat black paint jobs look like they were done by a buddy in a basement. If you like the black look check out the gloss black. I can not remember who on here has it but it's an amazing looks gloss black. Check the pic thread. If you do go with a black make sure rock some gear that can be easily seen.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the input everyone.

Hmmm...yeh, I know what you mean when you say how crappy most of the flat black jobs look.

I saw one of those flat blackish monster's ducati released at my local dealer a while back and almost flipped my shit. I thought it looked sick! Been wanting a flat black bike ever since. I'd probably have to go with a professional to get the kind of quality job I saw on the monster. I dunno...decisions, decisions. I've prob got a week or two to decide.

Has anyone ever gotten a professional to paint a tank, tail, and fairings? Any ballpark figures out there?

I prepped and painted one of my busted fairings with a can of satin black paint (can't remember which kind, but found it highly recommended after reading around a bit), and I think it turned out really nice. No runs...really smooth and even. I'm so tempted to just save a few bucks and spray the sharkskinz piece myself. If I do choose that road, and decide to go back to red, is there a spray known to match the ducati red pretty well?

My bike took a dive...some parts are scratched and whatnot, so it will never be a showpiece or anything. I'm riding around right now with no front fairings at all. Anything will look better than that ;)

Here are a ton of pics: The paint it black folder has a pic of the fairing I test painted (still wet)...then the haha folder has a pic with it on my bike (dry)...and I tried to photoshop everything black, but couldn't match it up at all. Feel free to take a look

http://digitalghetto.org/bike/

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had a chance to check out the pictures. Bummer on the damage. Check out page 107 of the SS pics, member BreazuRacing. That is a good looking black.

I had my bike professionally done, it cost me around $1000. I found that to be reasonable because he did a lot of work for me. I had damaged farings, lots of prep work and a dent in the tank. You may think you are saving money and getting a good paint job by doing it yourself but if you ever compare it to a professional job it is night and day. Accidently dripping gas on a self paint job will not be good for it. Whereas if I get gas on mine... no biggie. The debt of color won't compare either. Rattle cans look like patio furniture paint jobs because it's just that, a rattle can.

If you like the look of flat black then go with it but at least have it professionally done. Repair whatever you can and get the prep work done yourself. Between those and a flat black should save you some cash to replace exhaust and other misc pieces. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Black Is Beautiful!

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Red

When I first picked up my bike it was a terrible black paint job with runs etc. Before that was yellow. My finaly decision was to red. I didn't use the Ducati paint color but went with Ferrari red. I find it to be much more of a rich color that looks a lot deeper red than the Ducati factory color. It was more of a personal choice because I wanted to lose all the decals anyways.

Granted a blacked out bike looks pretty sweet, most flat black paint jobs look like they were done by a buddy in a basement. If you like the black look check out the gloss black. I can not remember who on here has it but it's an amazing looks gloss black. Check the pic thread. If you do go with a black make sure rock some gear that can be easily seen.

Ducati Red and Yellow are Ferrari colors? I always had Red Duc's

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you do black, I'd suggest gloss as opposed to flat. Flat black just doesn't look good unless you keep it super clean. It's also a harder color to get right for a do-it-yourself paint job.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I'm just going to get a pro to match up the red....simply due to cost. There's no way I can afford to have someone do the entire bike in black. Maybe one day I'll have a black rocket. Thanks for all of the input.

Is there a certain kind of paint I should purchase and take to the painter that matches up well with duc red?

·
Registered
68 Posts
The color red you choose is a personal choice. I wasn't the biggest fan of the Ducati Red so I had my painter make up a few options and show me. He should be able to do that with ease. If you are just trying to eye the parts to match them I would not recommend that.

Btw M5zealot, pardon my language but that is a fucking sexy looking bike!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
either or ?

Flat black is too shovelhead.... the coolest paint job on a SS I've seen on these pages is silver with a fat light blue racing stripe down the middle of the tank and tail - dead cool bike. And red: my sp is red, and it's nothing more than traditional... imho.... But do what You like

1 - 15 of 15 Posts