Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
wishes it was summer
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Does anyone know if the piping shown below of my LV exhaust can be repaired to remove the crimped sections on the piping or am I SOL? Someone's motor let go at Thill this past weekend dumping oil all over the track and the exhaust took the blunt of the damage.

There is also a small crack where the brackets on the muffler mount to the piping that will need to be welded shut. Any shop recommendations or technical comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
What about just sending it to Leo and having them repair it to new spec. I don't know if they do this, but ZARD does so I would think other Italian exhaust manufacturers would too?

·
wishes it was summer
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about just sending it to Leo and having them repair it to new spec. I don't know if they do this, but ZARD does so I would think other Italian exhaust manufacturers would too?
I just talked to them and they said that they won't do any repairs :( Short of purchasing a new system, all they could do for me is provide replace parts for the parts shown in the pictures.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Definitely repairable needs to be tig welded but any aftermarket exhaust shop should be able to do it . They will need the bike there as well to make everything fit just make sure to remove the battery.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I just talked to them and they said that they won't do any repairs :( Short of purchasing a new system, all they could do for me is provide replace parts for the parts shown in the pictures.
Depending on the cost differences (repair vs. new or used) it may be more cost effective just to replace the parts instead of attempting repairs. Ti requires complete shielding on both sides of the weld and most shops are not equipped to do this correctly. I doubt from the looks of it those pipes could be repaired trying to straighten the original damaged tubes. IMO, New tubing would need to be welded in place to do it right.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Depending on the cost differences (repair vs. new or used) it may be more cost effective just to replace the parts instead of attempting repairs. Ti requires complete shielding on both sides of the weld and most shops are not equipped to do this correctly. I doubt from the looks of it those pipes could be repaired trying to straighten the original damaged tubes. IMO, New tubing would need to be welded in place to do it right.
Ive been welding Ti for many years and have only ever shielded the side that I have been welding , with no ill effects , made my own Ti pipes for my old 999s and still have them in my garage . No cracks and two years use , and wrapped , only ever used argon shield . Must get right filler rod though.

·
Registered
213 Posts
If they'll sell you the component parts that's probably the best route... The pipe coming up the side of the bike as well as the endcap/Y-pipe going into the canister looks to be all that's bent. Add $3 worth of rivets and you're back in business. No?

·
wishes it was summer
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If they'll sell you the component parts that's probably the best route... The pipe coming up the side of the bike as well as the endcap/Y-pipe going into the canister looks to be all that's bent. Add $3 worth of rivets and you're back in business. No?
Yea I also thought that ypipe going into the canister could be purchased separately, but according to LV they are not separate pieces and I have to buy a whole new muffler as well as the pipe coming up that connects to the ypipe.

·
Registered
511 Posts
If you are in San Jose, there are a number of race/specialty shops that could probably do it. I haven't worked there in several years, but there were a bunch of race shops off of McGlincy Lane in Campbell, I'm sure there are a bunch of new places that could do the job for you.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Ive been welding Ti for many years and have only ever shielded the side that I have been welding , with no ill effects , made my own Ti pipes for my old 999s and still have them in my garage . No cracks and two years use , and wrapped , only ever used argon shield . Must get right filler rod though.
I did say done correctly: :)

http://tisquaredtech.com/welding_titanium.asp

Gas shielding of the titanium weldment is critical to the success of arc welding. Maintenance of an inert atmosphere until weldment cools below 426°C (800°F) is obtained by using three distinct gas streams, one to shield the molten weld puddle, one to protect the hardened weld metal and heat-affected areas, and one backup shield to protect the underside during welding and cooling.

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
Oh Boy!! that is a big headache ,even new pipes are a pita to install .
Does it have to be titanium ?
To save some $$ a speciality shop might be able to fit some Stainless Steel parts in its place . The joints where the smaller fits into a larger pipe could be siliconed to make up for any different rate of expansion, Or there could be a couple of sets of flanges installed .
There might even be some pre bent parts that you can mix and match to Jerry Rig it , You might get lucky ...50/50 chance
How important is looks ? Anything can be fixed .

One thing for sure you are going to need a talented person who knows what he is doing with Patience = $$$

Being a pipefiter for 30+ years .I reccommend letting the experts handle the job...Lots of options its all about cash .

The Y piece has enough straight pipe to be cut and another pieces slipped over , the other piece cut and new bend installed You can save it

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
you can also try finding a used system on classifieds or ebay.

Replace the parts you need and try to sell the rest.

·
wishes it was summer
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just got off the phone with LV and the pricing for the muffler alone is $2300. The pipe that connects to the muffler is another $350. At this point, looks like I might as well purchase an entire exhaust since they go for around $3k brand new or pick up a used Termi full system which go for a bit cheaper.

I've contacted a few places that can weld titanium and am still waiting to hear back. I don't mind running some parts in aluminum so if I can't find a place that weld titanium I'll inquire about fitting aluminum piping.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I don't mind running some parts in aluminum so if I can't find a place that weld titanium I'll inquire about fitting aluminum piping.
Aluminum piping? You might want to inquire about stainless steel instead. I can't think of one exhaust application that uses aluminum tubing (but then I haven't been around the marine industry much)

Titanium is even sort of questionable to use for exhaust pipes due to how it handles heat. Yeah, I know race bikes use it but they don't come with warranties either... At least with stainless you can find people to weld it.

EDIT: Even if you could find aluminum tubing, how would you attach it to the back of the muffler? You can't weld steel or titanium to aluminum...

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Just got off the phone with LV and the pricing for the muffler alone is $2300. The pipe that connects to the muffler is another $350. At this point, looks like I might as well purchase an entire exhaust since they go for around $3k brand new or pick up a used Termi full system which go for a bit cheaper.

I've contacted a few places that can weld titanium and am still waiting to hear back. I don't mind running some parts in aluminum so if I can't find a place that weld titanium I'll inquire about fitting aluminum piping.
not sure if this fits your bike
$2375
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Leo-Vince-full-exhaust-system-for-Ducati-999s-and-749s_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem1c060fcae2QQitemZ120360782562QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
wishes it was summer
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Aluminum piping? You might want to inquire about stainless steel instead. I can't think of one exhaust application that uses aluminum tubing (but then I haven't been around the marine industry much)

Titanium is even sort of questionable to use for exhaust pipes due to how it handles heat. Yeah, I know race bikes use it but they don't come with warranties either... At least with stainless you can find people to weld it.

EDIT: Even if you could find aluminum tubing, how would you attach it to the back of the muffler? You can't weld steel or titanium to aluminum...
Craig, sorry I was thinking ss but typed aluminum. What I was thinking was cut off the bent sections of titanium and then have the ss piping "slip" over the two pipes coming out of the muffler.

I think I am in luck though, as one of the local fabricators who welds titanium mentioned he should be able to fix the exhaust.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts