Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I've had a bunch of time on my hands with no motor for the ST2, I decided to fix a problem with the hard luggage cases. The plastic straps on the inside of the cases which keep the front lid of the case from extending too far down had pulled out from their fastened locations. The problem with this design is a simple sheet metal screw holds the strap into a small amount of plastic on the case.

So with a few new fasteners, aluminum spacers, and some drill bits I fixed the problem permantly. The strap will have to break before the fastener pulls out.

I used #6 flat head screws, #6 Nylock nuts, 1/4 X 1/4 ID aluminum spacers (painted black), 1/4" forstner bit, and a #6 chamfer bit to flush mount the flat head screws.

I attached some pics below. If anyone is interested on more of the details let me know.

Attachments

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
Nice. Not visible at all. You migt want to add a touch of RTV to keep water out.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I actually did that, just forgot to mention it. I seem to be forgetting a lot of stuff lately. The larger hole for the aluminum spacer does not got all the way through the case. Just slightly into the channel mold on the outer half of the case. Which I did apply a liberal amount of RTV silicon to. Thanks for reminding me about that as it is important. It did turn out pretty well and like you said it's not visible at all. We have a textured black powder coat at work that matches very well with the textured black plastic on the luggage cases.

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
Speaking of textured coatings, I really need to get around to sanding and texture painting my cases.

Have a good one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts