Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this was discussed on the old board, but I can't access it now. What does one do to refinish scratches/scrapes on the rough lower half of the bags? Thanks in advance for your help on this one!

·
Still needs a life.
12,609 Posts
Fine sandpaper + black liquid shoe polish seems to be the remedy of choice.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Bill_Anderson said:
Fine sandpaper + black liquid shoe polish seems to be the remedy of choice.
Is 600 grain fine enough? I have some of that I'm using for paint repair.

·
Still needs a life.
12,609 Posts
thewall67 said:
I have never tried it myself, just passing on info from "The Big List". I have also heard of someone using a woman's fingernail file. Try the sandpaper on a small spot and see how it looks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Bill, I remembered the sandpaper...

but not the liquid shoe polish. I'll give it a try and report back!

·
Registered
403 Posts
grabdawg said:
I know this was discussed on the old board, but I can't access it now. What does one do to refinish scratches/scrapes on the rough lower half of the bags? Thanks in advance for your help on this one!
I had to repair a few scratches and I used a single edged razor blade to cut off the 'fuzzy' portion of the damage. Then like others have mentioned, use black scuf cote for shoe soles.

The finish of the bags are not smooth. So you are not trying to go down to where the surface is smooth. Once it is smooth the repaired area will stand out as - a repaired area.

Dave Harhay

·
Registered
887 Posts
thewall67 said:
I've used sandpaper and shoe polish but had far better results with a coarse flat bastard file to remove any clingies and Meguiars Gold Class Trim Detailer. It comes in a black squeeze bottle and can be applied to the entire black portion of the pannier for a uniform look. No need to get carried away with the file because the Trim Detailer really helps hide the scuffs and makes the plastic look new again. Use it liberally and let it sit awhile before buffing the excess off.

I've had good results with peanut oil as well but the Trim Detailer is better. Available at any auto store that carries Meguiars products.

·
7,733 Posts
Once the surface has been worked using whatever material/method you choose, try dabbing on some black gloss "roll bar paint" with a sponge. It has a thickish, shiny black "plastic" finish when dry, and the sponge application gives it a slight dimpled effect. Try and keep the sanding/refinishing to the smallest area possible. I found the more I had to work it, the larger the touch up area grew.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike, I can't find the Meguiar's product anywhere...

even on the web. How long have you had your bottle of the trim detailer? I've been to 2 major parts stores out here and looked on the web with no luck at all finding it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts