Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering I torque every nut and bolt to spec I have not idea how it happened, but the threads on one of the three studs on the bottom of my fuel tank (that hold the fuel pump assembly in place) has boogered up threads. How the heck am I going to fix this??

I have a tap and die set and these studs appear to be 6mm, 1.0 pitch, however the threads don't seem to match up perfectly when I try to run the die over one of the good studs.

Despite that fact, the one that is messed up is the only one with part of the tank protruding next to it. My hex die doesn't have the clearance to spin.

Any suggestions???

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Disregard, I got it.

If anyone ever runs into a similar problem, I was able to slightly bend the flange that holds the stud away from the protrusion in the gas tank, slowly work the die over the stud with lots of oil, then bend back the flange to it's original position. It torqued to 8Nm so I got off lucky this time.

Mess up one of those studs beyond repair and now you're welding.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
can you run a stud in there and threadlock it in place? You could then use a nut to hold the pump flange in place instead of a bolt.....if the stud holds in the damaged thread

·
Premium Member
12,321 Posts
Torquing ,the specs are for new fasteners ,If you put anti-seize or grease you might want to go 10 % less . I've spent lots of time torquing very large Studs and Nuts in refinerys some up to 3 to 4 inch dia studs = big nuts...
Sometimes we measure the length of stretch of these large studs, and other times it is done with a hydraulic wrenches, at set pressures. On plastic (pipe fittings) you are required to go back and retorque after 24 hours.
Small stuff go by feel ...8Nm that is so little how do you know your Torque wrench is calibrated ??
Well you got it anyways ,good show!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
JB Weld.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts