Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took about 4 hrs. Previous owner had dropped the bike on both sides in parking lots and scratched up both panniers. Both the black plastic, and red covers were all scratched up. I removed the red covers, sanded them, filled the deep scratches with filler and sanded again. Primed, a d painted hem with satin black for now until I get some factory Ducati red. Stuck a couple vinyl stickers I made our of a roll of Italian flag sticker vinyl on them. For now it looks OK until I paint them for real. I used Cerakote recoat on the black plastic and it's now like new.
Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Entertainment Fender
o

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I need to do the same on my silver panniers. How difficult to remove the color part of the side cases?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcome to the group,
Removal of the two top panels is about 7 #1 Phillips head screws p/bag, and are small enuf to easily loose so find a small bag or container to stash them in.

I decided after buying my Red ST4 that I enjoy having panniers and was able to find a new but unused pair from a guy on craigslist at a very good price. and found the red paint was better custom matched due to the bike having been completely repainted several years ago. I also found at an automotive paint supplier shop in Auburn Ca where I used to live and the guy matched it by eye and did an outstanding job! I removed one of the side panels to leave with him for a day for his match, and bought their minimum pint bottle and have plenty left for a future touchup or my own use to fill the growing number of rock chips up front. A local shop charged me $40 to shoot the two bag tops and I was done besides the few mounting bolts washers and a spacer to buy and install them for just over $300.

I'm quite pleased with the my bags and how they turned out, with one exception - the bags were from two different sets (and colors) so each one has two keys that aren't universal so I hope to find a savvy locksmith one day who can help with the key barrels to unify the bag access problem along with getting me an ignition key blank and cutting a much needed spare and put my mind at ease!

Good luck,
Mitch

good luck!
Mitch

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need to do the same on my silver panniers. How difficult to remove the color part of the side cases?
It's super easy, open the case and there are like 6 or so Phillips screws holding them on. Two up behind the Jane's and 4 or so others at the edge....pull than all out and it comes right off. Takes five minutes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts