Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Easy, loosen the exhaust valve cable, pull it from the assembly - done. I will work on putting the cable someplace later. The valve is just for noise. Get a glove and start the bike cold. Now move the valve by hand, you'll hear the difference. Also got rid of the evap canister. Almost forgot red standard.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Easy, loosen the exhaust valve cable, pull it from the assembly - done. I will work on putting the cable someplace later. The valve is just for noise. Get a glove and start the bike cold. Now move the valve by hand, you'll hear the difference. Also got rid of the evap canister. Almost forgot red standard.
When you remove the evap canister, do you just cap the lines?

·
Bon Vivant
11,310 Posts
I was really hoping you were on to something so I gave it a try... it's free and it only takes a few minutes (I have a lift which makes it much easier)

Sorry, no cigar! flat spot still there, surging still there... made no difference whatsoever.
Didn't throw an error code though. Oh well, fat ducs next :cool:

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
It would be sweet if Jason (Fatduc) would give a slight discount to SF owners. We do have to add two Manipulators if I recall from a previous post. Even if he doesn't, it's still a very inexpensive fix to a bothersome problem.

·
Registered
267 Posts
It would be sweet if Jason (Fatduc) would give a slight discount to SF owners. We do have to add two Manipulators if I recall from a previous post. Even if he doesn't, it's still a very inexpensive fix to a bothersome problem.
I'm reluctant to give a discount because it will create an unfair advantage to the dealer's that stock and offer the product. How about free shipping? It's only about 5%, but it's something. Send an email to [email protected] after you place an order for two and mention the ducati.ms forums. I'll credit the shipping back when the order ships. Thanks for your support!

·
3,234 Posts
Jason,

Even if you didn't offer a discount, I'd buy it. I'm up to nearly 13,600 miles on my '06 S2R1k with the Manipulator. Zero issues and it was one of the prototypes installed I think when I had under 6k on it last year. Hell it works so well, I don't think about it.

·
Bon Vivant
11,310 Posts
logic would tell us that if you have problem that looks like it was caused by improper fuel mixture (like burnt valves, worn rings, fried plugs etc)
and you've had one of these devices on your bike, It's gonna void the warranty.

If your clutch goes out I don't think you're gonna have a problem :p

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
logic would tell us that if you have problem that looks like it was caused by improper fuel mixture (like burnt valves, worn rings, fried plugs etc)
and you've had one of these devices on your bike, It's gonna void the warranty.

If your clutch goes out I don't think you're gonna have a problem :p
Yep pretty much my thought as illegal in the US for manuf. to completely void a warranty and not just a subsystem. I think tho, I'll live with the flat spot, just not really a big deal, after riding it on the 3rd long ride of about 150 miles today. And I'm finally starting to get comfortable with this bike now too! :)

Chris

·
3,234 Posts
If the flat spot is the exact same symptom as previous euro 3 tuned ecu's have been showing, the bike is run way too lean from idle to 4k. Richening that up would only help. It will be easy to tell once you compare how it handles in low speed traffic. Since many dealers and after market parts dealers are selling the "fix", I would think they tend to agree that this is just a fix to what the euro3 tuning has done to the bike (Thanks to world governments and global whatever groups) . Apart from pulling off from a stop light, 95% of my riding is done over 4k, but there is nothing more embarrassing than chugging through a parking lot and the bike has a the rough cadence of a drunken monkey and lurchey nature of a crackhead whose missed his fix and gone into the twitches. The motor hates being run lean. Isn't it enough that we have to explain our "diesel powered" engines noise? It did it on my ST3, cured by spending way to much money for the DP kit and it did it on my S2R1k, which has the Manipulator. Plugs are perfect every time I've inspected them. No lurch. Able to idle through the neighborhood quietly at 2500rpm.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am going to put the Fat Duc's on my bike as well. I guess though that we all have to look for another option once we all put new slip ons on the the bike though. With regards to warranty issue, I would assume that richening up the fuel mixture is not going to cause any issue with the engine. It only going to make it run richer which is probably where it should be anyway before the EPA made the motorcycle manufacturers tune their bikes so lean.

I would also assume that if there was an issue that you could take them off before you went to the dealer. The only thing though would be if the manipulator throws any codes that get stored and then the dealer could find out. Does any one know if this would it does throw any codes?

It seems to me though that this flat spot issue feels like a TPS adjustment. Can't this be tuned out?
Ken

·
Bon Vivant
11,310 Posts
It seems to me though that this flat spot issue feels like a TPS adjustment. Can't this be tuned out?
I asked my dealer the same thing when I had the 600 mile service done and he said my TPS was set correctly. I just don't have a good feeling about the tech that worked on my bike. I may go to another dealer to have them check a few things for me that I'm not 100% satisfied about and that will be one of them.

If you do install a Fatduc o2 manipulator I think you should take it off anytime you take the bike in to the dealer.
I wouldn't do that with my bike but if you decide to do it there's no reason to give them something to question.

Also remember Ducati Seattle has the fatducs installed on their demo bike, that should be a pretty good endorsement of the product
should any questions arise from their use.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I asked my dealer and they said that all SF run that way. That is a bullsh*t answer to me. I think what we all should do is contact Ducati NA and complain.

To be honest, I think it is almost a safety issue. I am riding off a light slowly accelerating and then I hit 3500 rpm and it gets stuck there. Unless I am careful as I twist the throttle, next thing I know I'm jerked back as the engine gets past that point. If nothing else, it is really annoying. I'm actually thinking of telling the dealer when I bring the bike in for the 600 mile service next week that they need to take my bike period unless they fix the issue.
Ken

1 - 15 of 15 Posts