Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a USA import with a spread tank. I was aware of this prior to the purchase and had the cost of a replacement deducted.
In any case, I had a spare spread tank with which to experiment.

I'll list what I did, as it may help others come to a suitable solution.

1. Measure gap between internal wings of tank. I did this at the point of where the rubber grommets were attached. The dimension was 340mm. The new tank I had on hand was 320mm. There fore 20mm spread.

2. Use painter's tape (blue in photo) to provide protection with out risk of paint damage. Followed by regular masking tape to give additional protection.

3. Apply a ratchet type strap around the circumference. I modified a strap so it formed a closed loop

4. Tension the strap to close the gap to beyond 320mm. Being an experiment, I went to 315mm, allowing for 5mm spring back.

5. Fill tank with boiling water and allow to cool naturally.

6. Remove water once cool, and let the tank stand for a couple of days with the strap still in tension.

When I removed the strap, the tank did spring back 10mm. This gave a dimension of 325mm. Over the next day or so, it spread to 330mm. It has maintained that position now for a couple of weeks.

I will attempt it once more in the near future. Given the results, I would guess that the correct amount to over tension the tank would be in the order of 10mm to 15mm. This should compensate for spring back, and minor growth.
So, instead of closing the gap to 315mm, I perhaps should of gone 305mm to 310mm.

See pics, happy experimenting!:)

Note: the tank is on the angle in the sink as there is no fuel pump installed, or fuel cap.

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Great experiment. If your guestimations are correct and you can in fact 'fix' that spread tank then you are going to have some very happy people on this forum.

Keep us posted.

As for me... my mono is nearly 5 years old (20,000km) and no tank spread to date. Keeping my fingers crossed though.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I tried this, but used a big clamp to put the tension on the sides of the tank.. it slowly returned to the original width and soon afterward I had a small blister/bubble in the plastic on top of the tank. I'm not sure if the blister/bubble was related to all the water I used to heat the tank or not. I just used hot water from the tap, and maybe it wasn't hot enough.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
So simple... Good work fella.

This should be a sticky.

...also think of all the tanks that are now junked that could be brought back to life. Anyone wanna sell me a swollen black tank?

·
Registered
206 Posts
My concern with this "fix" is that it might warp and/or deform the tank. When the tank spreads, it doesn't spread evenly on both sides. it just sort of grows and expands. Usually more on the right than the left. Just squeezing the tank sides together might risk deforming the tank. These tanks don't just spread, they also blister and deform.

BTW, I'm on my 3rd tank.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If you drain the tank and hang it up, doesn't it shrink back to its original size? I thought I read about some people doing this before sending their tanks off to get coated.

·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My concern with this "fix" is that it might warp and/or deform the tank. When the tank spreads, it doesn't spread evenly on both sides. it just sort of grows and expands. Usually more on the right than the left. Just squeezing the tank sides together might risk deforming the tank. These tanks don't just spread, they also blister and deform.

BTW, I'm on my 3rd tank.
Hi goldberm

The tank I'm playing with appears to have spread (and shrunk) symmetrically. It also is free of blisters.

I figure if a tank has spread beyond the rubber grommets, this may be worth a try. In this state, the tank is useless and risk of further damage is of no concern (IMHO)

Cheers,
SM

·
Registered
821 Posts
my tank has blistered on top, and while it fits tight in the brackets, it doesn't feel like it fits right... i'm gonna have to take a measurement now and see if it actually spread... now if I can only figure out how much 320mm is in inches :D

(I hate the stupid SI measurement system, and yes, I do know how to operate the far superior metric system)

·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Curious. Why not shock it with cold water to "lock" in the shape/molecules/etc?
Good Question petrole.

I didn't want to move the tank while it was potentially 'softer'. Possibly could be done with a pump?

Cheers,
SM

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you drain the tank and hang it up, doesn't it shrink back to its original size? I thought I read about some people doing this before sending their tanks off to get coated.
I've tried this too.. I hung an unsealed thank up dry in April and it had 14 3/4" between the mounts. I just measured it and it's 14 1/2".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts