Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any of your guys fit your own tyres and what tools to you use?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I mounted then using some tire spoons and glass cleaner as a lubricant. But I usually take them to a shop to be balanced. Also make sure you mask the spoons in some tape as to not scratch the rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
49 Posts
I haven't in a while, but I used to have a "station" made out of a 15"(i think?) car rim mounted to a table. Split garden hose lined the bead on the "up"side, making a perfect platform to hold the MC wheel being mounted. The MC wheel was secured to the platform using a threaded rod, big washer and wingnut.

some soapy water and momentum makes getting the first bead onto the rim easy(just slam that sucker on there). Then you only have to deal with the second bead with, as IKARUS404 says, tire spoons and lubricant and patience.

think i've seen a few youtube vids on balancing, but again i haven't done it recently enough to verify any of them.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I mount all mine using some basic motionpro tire spoons and a big c-clamp to break the bead. As IKARUS404 stated, take care not to scratch the finish. The paint along edge of the rim will chip easily.

I also balance my own with a static balancer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
oh yes, good call on the c-clamp. i'd forgotten about getting the old tire off.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
Bead popper (Motion Pro Bead Popper - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore)
2 spoons (MotoCentric 10" Spoon Tire Iron - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore)
Big tire lever (MotoCentric 16" Tire Tool - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore)
Cut up dishwasher detergent bottle for rim protection
I use a water based lube on tough tire/wheel combos. Laugh all you want, it works great. I use a static balancer. After you change a few, you learn the tricks. Its not bad at all. If you are fighting it, you are doing it wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts