Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I received the Diopa Seat last friday. Today I went to the local upholstery to discuss the seat form. Problem was the Diopa did not fit. I had to bend the helmet guard on the frame and put an extra shim under the pin in order to lock.

Also we had to correct the part which leads towards the tank. I needed to be shortened and smoothed out. The Diopa needs some more support on the sides because it moves to much.

Now the seat is in production and I can choose material and style on wednesday.

Because the Diopa is shorter and does not cover the frame my custom tail looks like shit now. I have to cut this one as well to fit the line of the frame.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I had to bend the helmet guard a little on my SC but oddly enough it was ok on my Paul Smart. It was only a few degrees and doesn't effect the function. (Not that I've ever used my helmet lock loop).

There is some variance on how these Diopa's fit, but hopefully you received the extra washers with the seat which allow you to set the rubber post height to exactly how you want it. I also lengthened the locking pin and had to redrill the hole it was fitted into, as it wasn't in the centre... (lazy drilling)

...however...

Now that I've fiddled with it (took me 30 mins) the seat is a solid and perfect fit, as good as OEM and doesn't move one mm, even when hanging off.

I've also had the seat reupholstered as I didn't like the gap between the two pads.

As you say, my Palatov Tail tidy needed to be moved, as it's made with the old bodywork in mind, overhanging the rear of the frame, but that's not Diopa's fault. I simply re-drilled the mounting holes about 12mm further back, but it also needs 12mm shaving of the straight edge or you have to lift the undertray at the back to fit it flush to the frame (which also works fine with two 5mm spacers). ...Don't try to re-cut the curved end!

After all that, I was able to help Ianhear fit his Diopa seat in ten mins with what I learned from fitting mine. Also, because the locking pin can be relocated I was able to move his seat forward a centimeter or so to reach the tank of his GT, so I think it's a great option for cafe-racer loving GT owners.

Ian's GT

(I've suggested he remove the spacers on the Palatov, if possible)

My SC

My PS

·
Registered
796 Posts
Can anyone explain why it is that the GT rear frame loops are made from nice smooth round tubing while PS and S1K frames have those ugly dimples crushed into the sides of the tubes? I would consider buying or perhaps even fabricating a new seat pan that was a bit narrower and exposed the frame tubes like a vintage Duc... except for those silly dimples that seem to have no reason to be there.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
^ Some filler and paint may do the job.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Can anyone explain why it is that the GT rear frame loops are made from nice smooth round tubing while PS and S1K frames have those ugly dimples crushed into the sides of the tubes? I would consider buying or perhaps even fabricating a new seat pan that was a bit narrower and exposed the frame tubes like a vintage Duc... except for those silly dimples that seem to have no reason to be there.
Saves weight ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today we found out that the upper cushon needed a third point to fix it. Now it is much more secure and does not move around. I had a test drive with just the foam. It is great. Feels like sitting in the bike instead of on top of it. I can highly recommend this mod.

So I brought the back to the bodyshop to get it painted. The tank will follow next week due to a trip on tuesday with the bike.

So far I am happy with my decision on going for the Diopa.

I will post some pics when everything is done...

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OMG! Ducati Dealer is not able to get the black stripes for the tank. Project delayed because tank and seat need to me painted at once. Next date for the finish is August 8th.

I have a security training on August 11th and therefore need the bike then.
Is it just me or do you make the same experience that more and more people do not do their job correctly? They do not read your mails and do not keep the dates for delivery at all.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Welcome to the world of: "trying to get your bike done just like you want it, and just in time for that important ride / trackday / event."

Almost never happens...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The black stripes are alle here now. The parts are being painted over the weekend. Pickup on tuesday. Same with the new leather seat.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Striped down the bike because now it needs a whole custom paint job. I am going for british racing green from jaguar with yellow stripes and 70ies decal all paint, no sticker...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The bike is finished and I managed to reassamble everything. Looks great. I need to make some good pics. I already have some but can not post them from my iPhone..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ImageUploadedByMO Free1345747175.011454.jpg

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There you go...
Added a thrid hole in the middle an this thing is really thight now. The material is real leather and has a special material mix underneath to protect my bud ;-) I love the seating now!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And here is the whole thing custom paint job jaguar britsh racing green. I think it came out pretty well. All decals are painted.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1345747335.150613.jpg

·
Registered
693 Posts
^ Some filler and paint may do the job.
Reason why I still have the stock seat is because of these dimples. Any other solution other than filler and paint?

·
Motorbike Junky
654 Posts
Could always swap out your subframe for one without... But in my opinion that's a few hundred $ more than the problem is worth!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts