Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you made some modifications to jump-start an ST without removing most of the front fairings?

I found that AntiGravity makes a short pigtail for use with many lithium jump start packs, and picked up a couple, after an earlier attempt to build my own.

It's important that these leads are short due to the high currents involved in jump-starting, and tradeoffs of fitting large gauge wire. I think there is enough length to feed through the black plastic trim in the right-side main fairing.

It would probably be easiest to tape it over top of the black plastic trim insert/scoop. Should I go through the trouble of hiding it inside this piece, and if so any recommendations for fitting? I wasn't sure if this is a heat vent or active aero at speed.

Cheers!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I guess the question still remains why do you need to jump start the bike?
With battery, regulator/rectifier and starter in good condition I would have thought jump starting would be an emergency situation only and so rare you wouldn't need a set of special leads.
Or am.i missing something?

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
Have any of you made some modifications to jump-start an ST without removing most of the front fairings?

I found that AntiGravity makes a short pigtail for use with many lithium jump start packs, and picked up a couple, after an earlier attempt to build my own.

It's important that these leads are short due to the high currents involved in jump-starting, and tradeoffs of fitting large gauge wire. I think there is enough length to feed through the black plastic trim in the right-side main fairing.

It would probably be easiest to tape it over top of the black plastic trim insert/scoop. Should I go through the trouble of hiding it inside this piece, and if so any recommendations for fitting? I wasn't sure if this is a heat vent or active aero at speed.

Cheers!
For the negative, you can clamp to any bare metal.

For the positive, I did drill a hole above the negative terminal to attach a jump lead to a probe, like a large nail. I covered the hole with tape.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
If your battery is that hurting replace the dang thing. Why take any chances? Mine last for about 6-7 years, I keep them on a battery maintainer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I keep the bike on a maintainer while at home, but what if the battery drains while I'm on a tour somewhere? It's more than a pain-and-a-half to disassemble all the fairings if not necessary just to get home.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,233 Posts
I keep the bike on a maintainer while at home, but what if the battery drains while I'm on a tour somewhere? It's more than a pain-and-a-half to disassemble all the fairings if not necessary just to get home.
1. If your battery can't hold a charge while riding it daily, you need a new battery or there's something wrong with your charging system.
2. You only need to remove the lower right fairing to get access.

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
I've been able to get a jump lead on the positive terminal by removing the two bottom fairing screws, the large one on the side, and pulling the fairing outwards.

But, the hole in the air scoop trick works great. As I said above, you only need to hit the positive terminal. The negative can be clamped on to any bare metal. I've used my CycleCat rearsets before.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I've done similar to the right "Air Conveyor". Chopped off about 3 inches of the forward edge, and now I can see and get a screwdriver or 10mm socket on the + post of the battery. I did have to jump it one time since I did this mod many years ago.

I place the tool on the + bolt, and the + jumper clamp goes to the shaft of the tool -- which would be a phillips head shaft. And just before starting, I twist the screwdriver to ensure it can force 100 or so Amps into that bolt.

Works a treat!

Reactions: tonered

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
How often is that going to happen? Especially if you are touring, I wouldn't go on an old battery. If it happened how many minutes are at stake here? It's not even 10 minutes work.

·
Registered
779 Posts
It's more than a pain-and-a-half to disassemble all the fairings if not necessary just to get home.
A number of folks here have done the Dzus conversion and there are still kits available. If you tour a lot, might be a better option as it would allow you to get to other things if needed, as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts