Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got any photos of how they did it? It goes without saying there's precious little room. I can always go the suction-pad-on-the-tank route, but I'd prefer somewhere inside the fairing; easier to glance down.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
techmounts

I tried ram mounts and wasn't happy with them. Techmounts were a little expensive, and a little roughly made, but they are super solid when installed, and really low profile. 2 years on mine, very satisfied.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried ram mounts and wasn't happy with them. Techmounts were a little expensive, and a little roughly made, but they are super solid when installed, and really low profile. 2 years on mine, very satisfied.
Many thanks for that; any chance of a photo of your bike with the Techmount and a GPS fitted? I want to use a Garmin nuvi and I'd like to know what would be obscured by this installation.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
I modified the handlebar ram mount that came with the Zumo450 kit and mounted to a drilled and tapped OEM upper tree steering tube cap. LT Synder over at Desmotimes sells of one these caps ready for installation. Desmo Times Product 89- Steering Stem Nut

With a short ram mount, the GPS housing is attached. If you tuck while riding, it makes the GPS a little hard to read due to taking eyes off road. Ideally, it would be a little higher up, perhaps an inch longer ram mount would suffice. In the current configuration, it does not block gauges. The last photo is with a tank bank.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Very cool - I like that.

·
Registered
692 Posts
GPS Mount...

Very cool - I like that.
Now would it be possible on a "carby"??? I have the Desmotimes nut (I guess I would have to tap it) and that's it! Right? Mine actually has the hole were I am running the gas tank "vent-valve" tube(line) thru.

Thanks for the pics and suggestions for a "carby". ;)

Vickon:abduct:

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
vickon, at a minimum a few ideas :think:.

i have an extra emission canister (black wart) from my Hypermotard if you want to mount as a suitable solution :D

one family yo!

·
Registered
836 Posts
i had my GPS mounted on the suction cup mounted to the top triple and as security i just strapped to cable ties around it to hold it in place. have done 1000's of k's with it like that too.

·
Señor Member
8,300 Posts
For quite some time I ran my GPS, a Garmin I bought for my old truck, in my tank bag. What I didn't like about that is I had to look straight down which took my eyes off the road for a few seconds. At times the glare from the sun made it very hard to see. Being the cheapskate and tinkerer that I am, I decided to fab my own mount based on others I had seen. I took 0.080" mild steel and formed a piece to fit the top of my fork tube that is above the upper triple clamp. I welded a flat piece to it that the suction cup flat plastic could stick to. I made a power cord that would plug in to my trickle charger lead with a cigarette lighter end attached to the mount with an Adel clamp. I attach the power cord to the frame, leading up to the mount. I bundle the GPS power cord out of the way and I'm set. The first picture shows the view from a riding position. The lower numbers of the speedo are all that are blocked. Next picture is my power cord plugged in to my charger lead and the routing. Next is the mount on my fork tube. Last two are the mount I fabbed and how the cigarette lighter is attached. The screw attaching the clamp on the lighter to the mount is not through the plastic piece, only the metal plate. Doing so would cause air to get under the suction cup allowing it to come loose. It's very stable at freeway speeds and most of the sun's glare is not a problem due to the angle of the screen. I did attach a lanyard from the mount to a fixed part of my bars in case the suction cup lets go I don't lose my GPS.

"in God we trust"

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
I drilled the clip-on end plug, on the end closer to the gauges, to thread in a ram mount ball. Back filled the void with epoxy, although it was quite snug on its own. Bought the straight spring clamps and wound up using one about 6" long. Blocks the speedo, but the GPS supplies me with a more accurate reading anyway.
Dez

Pics if needed

·
Registered
836 Posts
For quite some time I ran my GPS, a Garmin I bought for my old truck, in my tank bag. What I didn't like about that is I had to look straight down which took my eyes off the road for a few seconds. At times the glare from the sun made it very hard to see. Being the cheapskate and tinkerer that I am, I decided to fab my own mount based on others I had seen. I took 0.080" mild steel and formed a piece to fit the top of my fork tube that is above the upper triple clamp. I welded a flat piece to it that the suction cup flat plastic could stick to. I made a power cord that would plug in to my trickle charger lead with a cigarette lighter end attached to the mount with an Adel clamp. I attach the power cord to the frame, leading up to the mount. I bundle the GPS power cord out of the way and I'm set. The first picture shows the view from a riding position. The lower numbers of the speedo are all that are blocked. Next picture is my power cord plugged in to my charger lead and the routing. Next is the mount on my fork tube. Last two are the mount I fabbed and how the cigarette lighter is attached. The screw attaching the clamp on the lighter to the mount is not through the plastic piece, only the metal plate. Doing so would cause air to get under the suction cup allowing it to come loose. It's very stable at freeway speeds and most of the sun's glare is not a problem due to the angle of the screen. I did attach a lanyard from the mount to a fixed part of my bars in case the suction cup lets go I don't lose my GPS.

"in God we trust"
almost identical to my set up :) was easy to see and did not get in the way at all either :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts