Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning guys,

I bought a pair of brembo p4 calipers for my '98 916 and when they turned up it turns out they have a 65mm spacing and after more reading the later 9XX bikes had a 65mm fork caliper mount spacing unlike my early 40mm spacing I didn't know anything about this.

My question is apart from sourcing the forks themselves is there anything else I need to fit the later 65mm forks to my '98 bike? are both the upper and lower fork clamps the same between early and late bikes?

cheers
chris

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
Straight bolt on with the newer forks. No mods needed. You can fit 748 (1999 on newer), 996 or 998 forks.

You will need a new front break line. When I did this to my 916 I sourced two Galfer lines with straight banjos that could be indexed and a double length banjo bolt for the master, making a double line system. I don't remember the length. I eventually found a set of OEM lines off a 996R that was a perfect bolt on. If you can find a set of lines off a 996R, 998S or 998R they will be a perfect fit as they came with these calipers AND the axial master. Unless you are also changing to a newer radial master, this is the cleanest option. Harder to find used since there were fewer of those bike made. You can buy a new set of lines made to fit those bikes, but it is a bit pricier.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I have a set from my 998 TIN coated if you're are still looking for a a set

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Have a set of brake lines you need as welk

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies guys,

Gary those adapters both seem to be for fitting 40mm calipers to 65mm mounts, i need them the opposite way around 65mm calipers onto 40mm mounts.

I'm aware I need new brake lines due to the line attaching at a different point on the calipers, I've found the 2 line ducati lines for reasonable money but currently I run a 999 master cylinder and the line connects on the bottom of the m/c, I suspect with a double banjo there for 2 separate lines it will hit the air box runner on full lock which I'd want to avoid so I may go with a custom made set of lines to solve the issues

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
currently I run a 999 master cylinder and the line connects on the bottom of the m/c, I suspect with a double banjo there for 2 separate lines it will hit the air box runner on full lock which I'd want to avoid so I may go with a custom made set of lines to solve the issues
If you're using a 999 master, you should have an easier time sourcing brake lines. OEM 749 and 999 lines are on eBay all the time for little money. Not 100% sure regarding length, but the early 749/999 series used P4 calipers. OEM lines would be correct at the banjos. I can't imaging length would be much different, but for the cost of the lines, it's worth a shot.

I think the 999 used a two line set up, but the double banjo is at one of the calipers with a single line running down from the master and the second line going from one caliper to the other..

·
Registered
353 Posts
thanks for the replies guys,

Gary those adapters both seem to be for fitting 40mm calipers to 65mm mounts, i need them the opposite way around 65mm calipers onto 40mm mounts.

I'm aware I need new brake lines due to the line attaching at a different point on the calipers, I've found the 2 line ducati lines for reasonable money but currently I run a 999 master cylinder and the line connects on the bottom of the m/c, I suspect with a double banjo there for 2 separate lines it will hit the air box runner on full lock which I'd want to avoid so I may go with a custom made set of lines to solve the issues
The adapters are 40 mm fork to 65 mm brake calipers - NOT the other way around

SHOWA caliper adapter (40mm to 65mm caliper) https://www.performanceparts.de/en/...OWA-caliper-adapter-40mm-to-65mm-caliper.html
Three colors to choose from: SILVER, BLACK, GOLD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts