Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an e-mail on Friday night from a fellow West Australian Ducatisti with an 06 mono. He had heard about the Wasp top mount damper kits but does not frequent this forum and had no idea where to get the kits.
Apparently he had been searching and asking questions for quite some time.

Anyhow, he finally got my e-mail address (turns out he lives 5km away) and organised to pop over to the Wasp-nest today for a fitup.

During the install he was telling me his horror stories of headshakes and wobbles and was really keen to give his new kit the test run.

40mins after leaving here (he must have taken the loooong way home), he sent me an e-mail expressing his satisfaction with the outcome.

"Part" of his e-mail.
Hi Greg,

You must have put the correct amount of clicks into the damper, I went straight over the bumps instead of wobbling over them. I actually didn't realise how badly the bike handled bumps until now, I was probably used to it. It's a big improvement. I'll try experimenting with different settings when I get a bit more experience riding with it.
I'm back late on Friday, so I'll try to catch up with you over the weekend.

Thanks for the advice and the expertise in fitting it.

Best regards

Doug

One thing that took me by suprise (and that I had not seen before) was the 999? (he thinks) brake and clutch mastercylinders/reservoirs he had fitted.

Check em out.... I think they look magbloodynifficent.
Very clean lines and not as agricultural as the standard fitment.

The only suggestion I had for Doug (and gave him the e-mail address) was to get in touch with Dietrich to send over some gauge lowering blocks

Greg.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeh Roger - I'm actually investigating get'n-me-suma-dem but would have to put black CRG or Pazzo levers on.

Very tidy cockpit :cool:

Greg.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Greg, you are a top bloke for not mentioning that I nearly came off in the gravel of your drive when I departed after the damper was fitted. That would have ruined, amongst other things, my pride and reputation. Do you think that we can thank the damper for saving me, because it certainly wasn't my skill level?

Doug

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Greg, you are a top bloke for not mentioning that I nearly came off in the gravel of your drive
Doug
Ahhhh yes the infamous gravel of Wasp.
I bet Greg has a camera hooked up filming our gravel teetering antics.
Would make a good blooper reel.
Glad the dampner is working for you.
GreyDuck

·
Registered
296 Posts
Greg, got a mostly unrelated question for you. Not sure if you remember, but I am the bloke in Hawaii that ordered the last Ohlins equipped damper kit you had. Well, I still haven't gotten around to installing it yet (mostly due to the fact that I am now in Afghanistan), but since then I have purchased a set of 999 forks. Do you have a fork tube clamp that will work on the 53mm tube of a SBK fork? Cheers mate.

Ben

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Greg, got a mostly unrelated question for you. Not sure if you remember, but I am the bloke in Hawaii that ordered the last Ohlins equipped damper kit you had. Well, I still haven't gotten around to installing it yet (mostly due to the fact that I am now in Afghanistan), but since then I have purchased a set of 999 forks. Do you have a fork tube clamp that will work on the 53mm tube of a SBK fork? Cheers mate.

Ben
P.M sent.

No luck in fitting them to Superbike legs.

Greg.

·
Registered
258 Posts
noice loiking bike, needs a tail tidy perhaps :)
When I first saw the the Sport1000 in a magazine article I thought it looked perfect, but in the cold light of day the large plastic number plate holder and clumsy mudguard/fender and the almost agricultural looking brackets holding the fluid reservoirs very proud of the bars really detracted from the overall look of the bike. I quite like the look of the standard tail light and indicators, sort of suit the retro look. This bike is from the first batch in Australia and there weren't any non home-made options for a tail tidy going around at that time, but I happened on the DP Cars version after about 6 months of ownwership. So that is what is fitted at the moment. Sorry you don't think it looks tidy enough Corks.

As for the second styling gaff with the reservoirs (faired bikes hide them so they aren't noticable). I did a bit of research and originally ordered some ISR radial master cylinders with integrated reservoirs. But they never arrived and after about 6 months of emails with all sorts of excuses from the supplier I got fed up and got my money back. I was a bit sorry about this outcome as they really looked the biz. Then a friend who is building a chopper showed me the Brembo levers Jesse James of West Coast Choppers is using on his bikes. I couldn't find them on the Brembo site, but found a pair through Scooters Performance in Florida. When they were being fitted I was told that they were the same as those fitted to the 749 and 999. I quite like the look they give but agree with Wasp about the large levers and will get something better looking eventually.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Bolts that hold instruments

The only suggestion I had for Doug (and gave him the e-mail address) was to get in touch with Dietrich to send over some gauge lowering blocks
Dietrich's brackets finally arrived today. The boss let me have a few minutes off whilst she cooked the evening meal so I took the opportunity to fit them. I wish everything I attempt was that easy.
The original fitment bolts for the instruments had a lot of white corosion on them and were a bit stiff to remove. I'm no diehard, so the bike has not been ridden in the rain, and because of this has not been washed all that often. So I suspect the corosion is a dissimilar metal thing, with the zinc? plating on the bolt reacting with the insert in the gauge bracket and/or the alloy in the clamp where the instruments are mounted. I have temporarily taken care of the problem by putting Aqualube on the bolt threads and the shoulders that go through the inserts. Does anybody know of an anodised replacement ( or stainless steel or anything smarter) bolt that would be a permanent fix to this problem?

·
Registered
76 Posts
tank protector on yellow bike

what is the make of the tank protector in the bike pics?

·
Registered
697 Posts
what is the make of the tank protector in the bike pics?
That is the bottom half of a Ducati two piece tank protector. Here is what it looks like on mine with the top half installed.

Wasp, sorry I don't have any pics of my bike with your damper installed. I will put that on the list of things to do this week.:eek:

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm running with the DPcar tailkit, and love it for pretty much exactly what you said. if only the lights were metal and glass rather than all that plastic :( then it would be perfect in my book.

When I first saw the the Sport1000 in a magazine article I thought it looked perfect, but in the cold light of day the large plastic number plate holder and clumsy mudguard/fender and the almost agricultural looking brackets holding the fluid reservoirs very proud of the bars really detracted from the overall look of the bike. I quite like the look of the standard tail light and indicators, sort of suit the retro look. This bike is from the first batch in Australia and there weren't any non home-made options for a tail tidy going around at that time, but I happened on the DP Cars version after about 6 months of ownwership. So that is what is fitted at the moment. Sorry you don't think it looks tidy enough Corks...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts