Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, It was accidental, but still!

So I'm riding back home last night and I pull up to a light on the highway. I have the panniers and top case on (lightly loaded) for the first time since having the MTS.

As I am waiting for the light to change some guy pulls up in a Ranger pickup (??) in the right lane and starts doing the rocking back n' forth thing. I'm thinking what's his deal then I notice that his lane ends and he has to merge up ahead. Well, I decide I don't want to ride behind him so I'll give it a bit of juice and get out in front. The light changes to green and I give her a moderate crank with the right wrist, bearing in mind she's still only got 1700km and is not broken in so I'm not supposed to rev over 7000 rpm until 2500km. As a point of reference I gave her as much throttle as I WOULD have given my VStrom 1000 last year. I'm easily out on front when I think "what's wrong with the windshield?? Why is it so high??" It's at that point that my cro-magnon skull registers that my front wheel is a foot off the ground and has been for a while! LMAO.

:eek:

I have no intention or desire to be a marauding dangerous rider, etc. so will be more careful in the future, but the thing that struck me as important was my response to it. Without thinking I gently eased back on the throttle and the wheel dropped back down to terra firma (where I would like it to stay). I was really pleased with my reactions and thank my schooling and riding with some seasoned riders who have taught me well!

Lesson learned - be careful and especially watch it with full panniers. Thought some of you guys might get a kick out of this story...

:D :D

Des

·
Registered
137 Posts
Welcome to the wheelie club....had a similar experience once and have a healthy respect for the power now...waiting for the accidental power slide now :D

OK, It was accidental, but still!

So I'm riding back home last night and I pull up to a light on the highway. I have the panniers and top case on (lightly loaded) for the first time since having the MTS.

As I am waiting for the light to change some guy pulls up in a Ranger pickup (??) in the right lane and starts doing the rocking back n' forth thing. I'm thinking what's his deal then I notice that his lane ends and he has to merge up ahead. Well, I decide I don't want to ride behind him so I'll give it a bit of juice and get out in front. The light changes to green and I give her a moderate crank with the right wrist, bearing in mind she's still only got 1700km and is not broken in so I'm not supposed to rev over 7000 rpm until 2500km. As a point of reference I gave her as much throttle as I WOULD have given my VStrom 1000 last year. I'm easily out on front when I think "what's wrong with the windshield?? Why is it so high??" It's at that point that my cro-magnon skull registers that my front wheel is a foot off the ground and has been for a while! LMAO.

:eek:

I have no intention or desire to be a marauding dangerous rider, etc. so will be more careful in the future, but the thing that struck me as important was my response to it. Without thinking I gently eased back on the throttle and the wheel dropped back down to terra firma (where I would like it to stay). I was really pleased with my reactions and thank my schooling and riding with some seasoned riders who have taught me well!

Lesson learned - be careful and especially watch it with full panniers. Thought some of you guys might get a kick out of this story...

:D :D

Des

·
Registered
36 Posts
OMG - I picked up my Mutli on Saturday and did EXACTLY the same thing! Word for word! Hahahahaha. :D

This bike is absolutely AWESOME! I tell you what tho - the accidental wheelie did put the wind up me for a bit, the power compared to the old Triumph Daytona I had is unbelievable.

I think that the guy in the car next to me thought the massive wheelie from a bike that is somewhat large and had panniers on it was pretty funny. ;)

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
Be careful, wheelies can be addictive with this bike. Next thing you know you are replacing fork seals and getting tickets for 'careless and reckless'. Ask me how I know this...:eek:

·
Registered
293 Posts
My advice, be extra careful of uphill starts, the front comes up even easier. Especially when pulling out into traffic from a parking lot or side road and hitting it kinda hard to get up to the speed of the other cars.

not long after getting mine I pulled out (turning left) from a parking lot uphill into heavy traffic going about 50mph. I gave the wrist a little flick to get up to the speed of the traffic and ....... you guess it the front came up while I was leaning into the left turn. Needless to say it was unexpected.

I thought my Buell Uly was the easiest bike to wheelie with, until I got my Multi.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
My advice, be extra careful of uphill starts, the front comes up even easier. Especially when pulling out into traffic from a parking lot or side road and hitting it kinda hard to get up to the speed of the other cars.

I thought my Buell Uly was the easiest bike to wheelie with, until I got my Multi.
Dennis

Curious as to which mode brings the front up for you the easiest: and at what DTC setting is that mode set for.

Dan

·
Registered
293 Posts
Dennis

Curious as to which mode brings the front up for you the easiest: and at what DTC setting is that mode set for.

Dan
I have a Standard so I dont mess with the DTC, but it is Sport that catches me by surprise the most (even though it shouldn't). The throttle is just so much more twitchy/tight/whatever you want to call i, for day to day commuting and around town riding.

I used to leave it in Sport all the time, but for the past several months I've just left it in Urban unless I'm out in the country cutting it loose.

Oh yea, I have a Givi E55 top box that pretty much stays on all the time, so that adds quite a bit of weight way out back and I'm sure doesn't help keep the nose down.

Edit:
Its the times that I get caught off guard with a wheelie that I dont like. It almost always happen when I'm paying more attention to the cars around me than my control of the bike. Something like....keeping an eye on someone I see driving too agressive or distracted by the GD MF'n cell phone and I punch it to move ahead and away from them....and up comes the front. I probably look kinda like a squid but oh well.

One more thing, it really depends on what rpm you are running also. If you are putting along at 3k or so, its not much of a problem. Hitting the throttle at closer to 5k-6k and there's a decent chance your looking up at the sky.

·
Registered
15 Posts
DTC intervention?

I haven't read up too much on what the DTC does or doesn't do when the front lifts off?

Front hoists easy and quickly in 1st gear in Touring and Sport. Even comes up ok in Urban. 2nd gear - same thing in Touring and Sport albeit less abrupt.

Obviously DTC does allow one to wheelie (or just dog slow to kick in :D), but at what point does DTC start affecting the power delivery? Any one know?

I guess I could turn off DTC and see what happens - anyone done this to determine the difference?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeah, yeah, yeah! Seen a guy do ine with a heiffer riding bitch. No biggie when inertia joins forces with weight distribution!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
165 Posts

not long after getting mine I pulled out (turning left) from a parking lot uphill into heavy traffic going about 50mph. I gave the wrist a little flick to get up to the speed of the traffic and ....... you guess it the front came up while I was leaning into the left turn. Needless to say it was unexpected.

the best wheelie is when you have it laid over a little whack the throttle and the front comes off the ground while laid over

·
Registered
293 Posts
the best wheelie is when you have it laid over a little whack the throttle and the front comes off the ground while laid over
Thats EXACTLY what happened to me, b/c it was totally expected the pucker of my ass would have kept me glued to the saddle no matter what happened. Now when it happens I'm not as surprised so its not such a big deal, but the first time was a real shot of adrenaline.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Yeah, yeah, yeah! Seen a guy do ine with a heiffer riding bitch. No biggie when inertia joins forces with weight distribution!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
My passenger on Friday was barely 120lbs (far from a "heifer") and my front end came up very unexpectedly, I'd say while pulling at about 60% what it normally takes. I think having any passenger at all puts the front end up very easily.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I haven't read up too much on what the DTC does or doesn't do when the front lifts off?

Front hoists easy and quickly in 1st gear in Touring and Sport. Even comes up ok in Urban. 2nd gear - same thing in Touring and Sport albeit less abrupt.

Obviously DTC does allow one to wheelie (or just dog slow to kick in :D), but at what point does DTC start affecting the power delivery? Any one know?

I guess I could turn off DTC and see what happens - anyone done this to determine the difference?
The first time I wheelied on the multi the DTC kicked in and as it started dropping the front I slowly wound on more throttle until the front touched down. Once the front wheel spun up the engine roared into life and immediately threw up the front again, barely missing my teeth.

After cleaning the stain off the seat I have got a bit better at it.
A decent wheelie can be performed with DTC on and the revs around 5k in second gear. I find that the there is a definite fueling step at around 4500 rpm which is not good when at balance point so I start my wheelies over this to keep it smooth and under control. I find a decent length wheelie can be held as long as you hold the throttle reasonably steady, so a slight incline helps. As soon as you chop the throttle and attempt to wind it back on DTC stutters in to play and sabotages control.

I usually reserve wheelies for the Hypermotard which has much better fueling and control.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts