Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing my first valve adjust (6k) and had a simple question.

For my 749:

Openers should be .007-.009" and closers .005-.007"

3 closers at .008" - they need to be adjusted.
5 closers at .007"
1 closer at .006"

6 openers at .009"
2 openers at .007"

So my question, 11 of my clearances are at the high end of the operational clearances. Leave them or adjust to the minimum clearance?

Thanks in advance,

V-Man

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Ducati changed the Testastretta specs a couple years ago and made it retro-active for all Testastretta motors. The new specs are...

ALL Closers = .002"-.004"
ALL Openers = .004" - .006"

Don't know where you got your numbers as the specs prior to these I listed here are per the service manual at...

ALL VALVES, Openers and Closers = .004" - .009"

As far as what you think needs adjusting, you could make the argument that technically, all your valves are within spec using the old stuff. Also depends on how you use your bike. And last but not least, (and this is the critical part) also depends on how anal you are!!

If you want my recommendation and want to know what I'd do, I'd adjust them all within the new specs I gave you. But most of that is because I'm anal, and my bike is a track bike that gets whaled on regularly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. Both my Desmotimes manual and a PDF I have of the 2006 749/749Dark Workshop Manual have the specs I listed above.

Is there anywhere to find the bulletins Ducati sends out to deals when the change specs on something like this?

·
Banned
11,256 Posts

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Interesting. Both my Desmotimes manual and a PDF I have of the 2006 749/749Dark Workshop Manual have the specs I listed above.

Is there anywhere to find the bulletins Ducati sends out to deals when the change specs on something like this?
DesmoTimes manual doesn't count as those are his recommendations...good one's I'll add, but not factory.

I just went and checked my factory shop manual again for ya...it and the sticker on the airbox on the bike say the same thing! All valves, .004" - .009" Actually, they say .010 - .025mm, which converts to .0039 - .0098, but you know what I mean:)

Like Tye said, no reason to be close to .009. If they're inside .009 I might could live with it if it was a closer and a pure street bike. Openers are a piece of cake to change. Just be glad you don't have a S/R.

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
DesmoTimes manual doesn't count as those are his recommendations...good one's I'll add, but not factory.

I just went and checked my factory shop manual again for ya...it and the sticker on the airbox on the bike say the same thing! All valves, .004" - .009" Actually, they say .010 - .025mm, which converts to .0039 - .0098, but you know what I mean:)

Like Tye said, no reason to be close to .009. If they're inside .009 I might could live with it if it was a closer and a pure street bike. Openers are a piece of cake to change. Just be glad you don't have a S/R.
What was the difference on the S and R again? I read this when I first got into the Ducs a year ago, so my understanding was little to none.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Vman749,
You might as well go ahead and adjust since you have got the bike all apart then you won't have to do it for a while. Keep in mind, openers/closer clearances tend to get tighter/looser over time, respectively, though I haven't tracked this for my 749s yet, but true for the 900ss.

DPG,
Not sure if you are asking for all the differences, but when it comes to the valves, the '05+ 749s' and R's have smaller diameter valve stems (6mm) and use the pressed collet retention vs half-rings for the closers - a real PIA to adjust the those!

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
Not sure if you are asking for all the differences, but when it comes to the valves, the '05+ 749s' and R's have smaller diameter valve stems (6mm) and use the pressed collet retention vs half-rings for the closers - a real PIA to adjust the those!
You normally need to remove the heads to adjust those, though some people claim to have found away that obviates that (but don't say how).

Tom

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
You normally need to remove the heads to adjust those, though some people claim to have found away that obviates that (but don't say how).

Tom
Yea...I'm skeptical (sp) of anyone claiming to be able to adjust closers without removing the heads. I know how it's supposed to be done and there's no way to do it that way with the head on the motor.

We have a memeber who just took his S to a very very reputable shop which claimed to be able to do just that...but when they got in there and found some closers that needed adjusting, guess what they ended up doing? Yep, took the heads off!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts