Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally made it to the track on my 848. As with doing anything the first time I'll never forget this experience. I consider it a success because I learned a lot, didn't drop my bike, and noticed a significant improvement in my riding by the end of the day. I got my pucks scuffed up (first one was a surprise), and even scuffed the side of my right boot once (even more of a surprise)!

I was surprised by the number of crashes though. There were three or four before I even got on the track and by the end of the day a total of about 7--one of which was a guy in our track orientation class (big highside and lots of bike parts all over the place). He was fine though, just an injured ankle.

I definitely look forward to the next track day!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Congrats, and welcome to the sickness!

The track is incredibly addictive, and may very well change how you ride on the street.

Track day crashes are an odd thing. Sometimes there aren't many (like my first track day), and other times there are a bunch (like my last track day).

When you go next time, make sure you have tires with good grip. Your times will continue to go down, and good grip will be paramount to you staying shiny side up and having a good, confidence-inspiring time. I failed to heed this advice and spun up my rear tire on a corner exit, resulting in a low-side. Due to axle sliders and track bodywork, damage was minimal, but it was the hard way to learn the lesson. Don't skimp on track tires!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Glad you enjoyed it mate, I also got back into it recently.. I just drive with the same mentality I do on the street. although there is a lot less going on, it's always still good to stay very aware what others are doing, stay well with in what you know is ok and try different things, A slow smooth progression will get you going a lot faster than the people that seem to go out chasing everyone.

Always take it easy on the first lap, I know a lot of people don't and give a little more %less after the lunch break and first session on a second day. I've only done one so far in recent times but did a lot when I lived in the UK and Deutschland, and It seemed there was this pattern for relatively new trackers.

at my recent VIR event this chap took it off on a very slight corner down the main straight on the first hot lap. seems he just tracked out a little early then maybe got target fixation.. http://ifraggle.com/2009/07/13/track-weekend-virginia-international-raceway/

I'm thinking of another VIR day on Aug 10th(if I can sneak out of work) and maybe a barber day in August.. I love riding on the roads, but track fun has a completely more addictive flavor. :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
congrats

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Easty, what is it you kept tapping with your thumb on your left handlebar?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'll answer it this time around. :D

He is trying to turn off the signal indicator. Street habit on the track.
You know I'll be watching for that on my next track day more than I will for that rapidly approaching tight corner.

You know it's funny, I wonder if I did that all the time when I was tracking at home. I never filmed from that angle so don't know.

After 12 or so years riding and I couldn't tell you how many miles I, guess some things just get ingrained.

·
Registered
72 Posts
preventing damage at the track...

Congrats on your first track day man....
I am also a new rider and just got my 1198 a couple of weeks ago. I am taking a riders class so I can get my license and will register for a track day in Austin (Harris Hill Road)...since there are many experienced riders in this forum, I wanted to ask what are the best parts/upgrades I can get to protect my bike in case of a slide or fall?
Cheers

·
Registered
23 Posts
the bug has bitten.. i never thought I'd get onto the track until I did an advanced riders course (after a street slide) to get confidence back and it was done at a track! it wasn't about lap times but more about mastering the perfect corner lap after lap.. oh what a feeling!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
what are the best parts/upgrades I can get to protect my bike in case of a slide or fall?
The first things I would do are front and rear axle sliders, and bar end sliders. Upgrade your clutch cover to something billet and beefy. I've heard that stock covers can burn through pretty quickly.

Next, track plastics. Possibly under body frame sliders.

I've done it all but under body sliders. I had a low side on my last track day, but only had to order in a new brake pedal, replacement slider caps and right upper fairing stay. A little refurbishing to the clutch cover, put the street clothes back on, and you can't tell the bike was even down. Yes, crash protection parts are a good investment!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You know I'll be watching for that on my next track day more than I will for that rapidly approaching tight corner.

You know it's funny, I wonder if I did that all the time when I was tracking at home. I never filmed from that angle so don't know.

After 12 or so years riding and I couldn't tell you how many miles I, guess some things just get ingrained.
I found myself using the turn signal a few times entering and exiting the track. Also, I caught myself trying to look into my mirrors (which were removed) during the first couple of highspeed brakings.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Congrats on your first track day man....
I am also a new rider and just got my 1198 a couple of weeks ago. I am taking a riders class so I can get my license and will register for a track day in Austin (Harris Hill Road)...since there are many experienced riders in this forum, I wanted to ask what are the best parts/upgrades I can get to protect my bike in case of a slide or fall?
Cheers
I added front and rear axle sliders, and underbody framesliders (Speedy Moto). Track plastics will be my next upgrade.
One thing I would recommend before going to the track is to read Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch. I just read it again after my track day on Saturday and much of the material is really starting to sink in. I did improve throughout the track day, but after re-reading this book and mentally going over how my riding compared with what I should have been doing, I realize I was making a lot of mistakes.

·
Registered
235 Posts
They are very addicting. Go do more, and just remember it is much safer to learn your skills on the track then on the street. VIR is the chit.:cool:

·
Registered
235 Posts
I found myself using the turn signal a few times entering and exiting the track. Also, I caught myself trying to look into my mirrors (which were removed) during the first couple of highspeed brakings.
That's funny as hell. I used to beep my horn as I was passing people. Completely a squid like thing to do, but who cares, I was having fun.:D

·
Registered
111 Posts
You know another term for riding an RC-51 on a track?

Pig Wrestling! :)

(Don't get all bowed up, I think the RC-51 is one of the coolest bikes ever built.)

This is me at Road Atlanta a couple of weeks back on my 848.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You know another term for riding an RC-51 on a track?

Pig Wrestling! :)

(Don't get all bowed up, I think the RC-51 is one of the coolest bikes ever built.)
Sir. I am in complete agreement with you. I have done 5 years of track days on this ole girl, around 50-60 TD's I believe, and I am convinced it is the most stable track bike I will ever have, but holly crap it is hard to get it to turn in the tight stuff sometimes, talk about arm-pump.

But based on the picture below, it looks like I am doing an ok job, right? ;o)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yup, you're showing the old girl who's boss.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts