Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First track day on the Hyper down at the new Ridge at Motorsports Park in Shelton, WA

It was windy, wet, and a little cold! No rain tires either so had to take it pretty easy but it was a lot of fun. Third session was better but my GoPro had fogged up pretty bad. Here's a couple laps of my 2nd session....

·
Registered
237 Posts
Eeurgh! Cold, wet & all that standing water is ideal to trash your bike with:eek:. Nice way to start the season - it can only get better! Circuit looks like it'll be good & pretty quick - in the dry... Be a bit prettier too when some grass has grown.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
I think the paving contractor should have to go out for a few hot laps when the track is wet. I've never seen so much standing water on a freshly paved track. Very pretty scenery, maybe they'll stock the turns with large mouth bass? I've done wet track days in cars that aren't much fun, but never seen a track that's held so much water in all the braking zones. Thanks for sharing the video and glad you enjoyed the day.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To be fair - it had rained very heavily about 30 minutes before that session. The track conditions were actually not that bad considering the weather.

Regardless, yes....the ridge is a great track. The video does no justice to the change in elevation. Turns 2 and 3 are a steep climb and coming down off turn 13 is like going down the cliff at Laguna. I got to do a few laps in my M5 before the morning sessions started - it's a great track. Can't wait for some dry laps over the summer.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I think the paving contractor should have to go out for a few hot laps when the track is wet. I've never seen so much standing water on a freshly paved track. Very pretty scenery, maybe they'll stock the turns with large mouth bass? I've done wet track days in cars that aren't much fun, but never seen a track that's held so much water in all the braking zones. Thanks for sharing the video and glad you enjoyed the day.
Depends on the asfalt you're using. Here in the Netherlands, we use porous asfalt(tarmac), which has excellent grip in the wet compared to normal asfalt, but does have a bit less grip when it's dry. From what I've heard, most tracks use ultra sticky asfalt, which should be good in the dry but I'd have my doubts in the wet.

What worries me more is that the tarmac is already tearing, or they've been really sloppy when laying down the new layer of tarmac.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
I've been in the Development and Building industry most of my life. The Asphalt has nothing to do with standing water. I've never met a Municipal, State or Federal inspector that would have signed off on that job. They always come out after a rain and that's not what they want to see. I've had to tear out a few streets that looked like that. Hopefully they were riding on the binder and the top coat is yet to come, as it appears they've got a few things to do to finish. It's situated in a beautiful setting and sounds as if there's lot's of elevation.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pretty sure the track won't be getting another layer of tarmac, but don't quote me on that. They're still adding a few curbs and small things, but for the most part the main track is complete. The facility itself has a long way to go (drag strip, extensive pit facilities, improved landscaping, etc.) To be honest I think the video might make the conditions look worse than they are. It was dumping rain all morning and actually dried out fairly quickly and continued to improve throughout the sessions.

I've done track days on four wheels at a few locations, and this is by far the best tarmac I've been on, even in the wet. I'm no contractor, but I had no complaints aside form the weather.

Motorports website is here: The Ridge Motorsports Park

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are some fly by's and a quick walk around the new Panigale 1199S at the end.

·
Registered
307 Posts
On a better note....at least you have no use for a lap timer. The position of the Sun should narrow it down to the nearest hour. :)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
On a better note....at least you have no use for a lap timer. The position of the Sun should narrow it down to the nearest hour. :)
lol :D

JCM5, thanks for sharing both videos. Hope you get better weather next time. It´s definitely more fun in the dry.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Great video. So is this a brand new track? If so, thats great news! How did you like the Hyper for a track bike? I know you weren't "pushing" it but I would still like to hear your thoughts. :)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great video. So is this a brand new track? If so, thats great news! How did you like the Hyper for a track bike? I know you weren't "pushing" it but I would still like to hear your thoughts. :)

Yeah the track is pretty new but there are already regular track events on the main circuit. The developer is building a pretty extensive motorsports park, and when it's complete it's going to be awesome. You'll be able to rent pit storage units / garages, there will be full amenities, a 1/4 mile drag strip separate from the main track and some other stuff. Less than 2 hours from downtown Seattle. The elevation change is my favorite feature.

I was definitely going easy - I don't have rain tires and really don't want to lay my bike down. 4 guys crashed that day, (one of them crashed twice). But the bike is still a blast and I cannot wait to do some hot laps on a dry day. Even then, I'm no speed demon, but it will make a big difference. I'm going to buy a dedicated track bike for next summer that I don't have to worry about scuffing up. My hyper is too special to me to take too many chances on :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts