Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
spent 2 days at chuckwalla valley raceway earlier in the week with my new '15 multi. these were semi private coaching and learning days with rickdiculous racing (http://rickdiculousracing.com/); working on technique and lines. for me it was an opportunity to learn a bit more about my new bike and of course get some feedback from the coaches (ken hill and team).

the only change i made to the bike in preparation was to remove the center stand; so stock pegs and kept the pirelli angel gt tires on the bike; as the goal was to learn more about it in the set up i'll be riding it the most; on the street. i'd say ground clearance was a concern so just hung off a bit more :).

it was definitely a challenge riding the multi on the track in a way that i'm used to; but after a few sessions i started to get to know where i could push it and where i needed to respect the type of bike this is and play to it's strengths.

it was a ton of fun, and now that i've done a few days i'm looking forward to taking it back as now i have a better feel for the bike in this environment. rather than write a long post about what worked and what was a challenge; feel free to ask and i'll be happy to share my perspective.

overall i'd say if you want to just go and enjoy a track day and don't care about lap times, the multi is more than capable.

some photos...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Great photos, looks like you've got a lot more room to lean the bike over to me though... Ever run the Multi link app? If so, what lean angles you getting?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
not sure "alot more room" is accurate, my foot was inches above the ground in most of the photos and i scraped more than a few times, that is the point of keeping the bike upright with good BP, to NOT scrape the pegs! yes i have the app, i did not have my phone in my track suit for obvious reasons but here's a screen shot from a ride i took in the canyons today, max lean angle of 49%.

i doubt i was running less at the track lol. i'd send you a photo of my tires but since they are sport touring tires again you have to be careful running too much lean angle, but i can assure you the rear was ridden to the edge and the front literally had less than a 1/8" of un used tire, so not sure where you think i should have gotten more lean angle, love to hear where...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
49% is pretty bad ass lean angle on a Multistrada I'd say... My max lean angle recorded stands at 46 degrees, and I'm calling that the end of >my< comfort zone.

Pictures don't do lean angle justice I guess. It just looks like your riding way off the bike... I can't imagine how much work you're doing repositioning for each turn is the reason I comment... Not picking or correcting anything, just observing. I should also say that I applaud you taking your Multi on the track... I won't take mine, just in case that temptation to go just a little faster were to ever come up.

·
Registered
665 Posts
To me you're doing more than fine. Took my Multi(2011) also a few times to the track. I learned to maximize the lean angle, better body positioning, and build confidence in the bike and the tyre. (Angel GT). And some point you just have to stop going faster, because there's no more ground clearance and things can go wrong at that point. I even installed some higher footpegs for the trackdays ones.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Nice pics! A friend of mine tracks his 2009 Multi and keeps trying to get me to do a track day with him. He is enjoying the track so much that he picked up a Triumph Daytona just to do track days on.

I found the stock tires to be a bit of a hindrance to really attacking corners... I had the Pirelli Scorpions though. I put Michelin Pilot Power 3s on my bike and I'm pretty happy with them. I have no intention of ever taking this bike off-road. I would like to do a track day on it though.

Funny, when I took the Scorpions off my bike at 2500 miles I sold them on Craigslist to some idiot with a 1098. Guy said it was his first bike and he had it less than 3 months. More money than brains I guess. I tried to tell him what kind of a bike the Multistrada is and that the tires were designed for on/off road use. He was more concerned that they would fit than if they were an appropriate tire for a sport bike.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Great post! I have never done a motorcycle track day. Happy to hear the multi is up for it, I can see the slipper clutch, lightness and simplicity of the bike (mine is an 1100) helping. I say light as my other bike is even less suited, an air-cooled r1200r that I just got.

What brake fluid did you use?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ecoyne, i AM riding way off the bike. which i explained in my post was necessary to keep the pegs off the ground and maintain a respectable pace and a reduction in lean angle based on the ground clearance of the stock pegs and the fact that i suspect ducati did not build the multi thinking it would be at the track on a regular basis by a majority of it's buyers. that and it was my first time at the track on this bike.

there may be some lean angle room to explore next time i take it to the track but considering my boots and pegs were touching at certain corners, and i was on the angel gts, there probably is not much room, and like i said, the tires were literally run to the edges; even the front suprisingly (i've never used that much front tire before, 1/8" at most was clean), and that's why i was hanging off as much as i was.

now granted, i tend to use alot of BP in general to mitigate risk regardless of the bike; as that is what the pros teach; and i've had alot of coaching candidly. good bp reduces lean angle for the same pace and thus less lean angle; we've all heard it before but it works. by way of example, here's me riding my 2012 honda cb1000r at the track and one on an fz1.

49% is pretty bad ass lean angle on a Multistrada I'd say... My max lean angle recorded stands at 46 degrees, and I'm calling that the end of >my< comfort zone.

Pictures don't do lean angle justice I guess. It just looks like your riding way off the bike... I can't imagine how much work you're doing repositioning for each turn is the reason I comment... Not picking or correcting anything, just observing. I should also say that I applaud you taking your Multi on the track... I won't take mine, just in case that temptation to go just a little faster were to ever come up.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
not sure "alot more room" is accurate, my foot was inches above the ground in most of the photos and i scraped more than a few times, that is the point of keeping the bike upright with good BP, to NOT scrape the pegs! yes i have the app, i did not have my phone in my track suit for obvious reasons but here's a screen shot from a ride i took in the canyons today, max lean angle of 49%.

i doubt i was running less at the track lol. i'd send you a photo of my tires but since they are sport touring tires again you have to be careful running too much lean angle, but i can assure you the rear was ridden to the edge and the front literally had less than a 1/8" of un used tire, so not sure where you think i should have gotten more lean angle, love to hear where...
Yes, thats about he max lean you can get before breaking your gear lever. To get more you will need higher pegs and diferent setup on the gear lever.

Nice riding

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looks like fun, thanks for sharing!

I just picked up a new/leftover 2014 Multi a few months ago, and it's my first ever long-travel suspension bike. I've done a bunch of track days on my '12 Street Triple R and am trying to translate what I've learned there over to the Multi. Love the new bike :) but am definitely still getting used to it, just about everything (braking, leaning, BP, tire/suspension feedback) feels different once I'm pushing it a bit.

I'd be really interested to hear more details about what you find the key differences are between the Multi and a more traditional standard/sport bike. Any lessons/tips from the instructors on translating "regular" bike experience to the Multi?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
348 Posts
now granted, i tend to use alot of BP in general to mitigate risk regardless of the bike; as that is what the pros teach; and i've had alot of coaching candidly. good bp reduces lean angle for the same pace and thus less lean angle; we've all heard it before but it works.
I spent six years as an on-track coach for one of the largest track-day and track-school providers in California. In my estimation, your body positions looks perfect. I also concur with your opinion: given the tires you were using and the proximity of your footpegs to the ground, I doubt there's anything (other than trouble) to be gained by leaning further.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks fubar, much appreciated. there's nothing like good coaching to take a rider like me with very little natural ability and help them at least be "capable" and safe out there. i'm turning 50 this year and purchased my first bike/passed my road test at 44 so unfortunately i'm late to the party....but i plan on sticking around for a while now that i have the addiction..

the track and coaching in general has always been for me about learning to ride better in the environment i ride the most; street. i do a lot of touring and weekend rides on the tightest and most technical roads i can find so no better place to gain control of your bike and mind than the track....unless ur in a parking lot with lee parks...that's pretty humbling too. again, thanks for the feedback :|

I spent six years as an on-track coach for one of the largest track-day and track-school providers in California. In my estimation, your body positions looks perfect. I also concur with your opinion: given the tires you were using and the proximity of your footpegs to the ground, I doubt there's anything (other than trouble) to be gained by leaning further.

·
Registered
181 Posts
+1 on the body position. I see too many people all twisted up when trying to lean off the bike.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
A day on the track is worth years on the road. It WILL save your bacon someday, when you go into a corner too hot or need to avoid someone who decides their cage belongs in your space. Your muscle memory will kick in and you'll wonder how you just did that.

Looking good out there. Now if I can just convince the wife I NEED another S1000RR :grin2:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lucky, hmmm...well without getting too granular i'd say a few things make the multi a bit more challenging to ride on the trak than a smaller naked bike, namely:

ground clearance, weight, suspension, front end feel, bike height, engine character, ergonomics.

that being said, as you can see from the photos, i rode it the same as i ride any bike at the track. the principles still apply no matter what bike you're on; good BP, throttle/brake control, eyes, nothing abrupt, timing, etc. so i guess it's just about getting used to the new bike and trusting the skills you've learned to carry you through. oh and you can always slow down to be safer on a new bike; something i think alot of people forget :). hope that helps.

Looks like fun, thanks for sharing!

I just picked up a new/leftover 2014 Multi a few months ago, and it's my first ever long-travel suspension bike. I've done a bunch of track days on my '12 Street Triple R and am trying to translate what I've learned there over to the Multi. Love the new bike :) but am definitely still getting used to it, just about everything (braking, leaning, BP, tire/suspension feedback) feels different once I'm pushing it a bit.

I'd be really interested to hear more details about what you find the key differences are between the Multi and a more traditional standard/sport bike. Any lessons/tips from the instructors on translating "regular" bike experience to the Multi?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Looks like you had a blast sir.

How did the Angels hold up to repeated laps? What did you think of the brakes and suspension overall?

I found after upgrading to M50's from my 1st to 2nd track day on the multi I was able to overload the front on the bumpy sections under braking, but never wanted or needed more brakes, and fatigue was drastically reduced. I was able to run competitive novice times on my multi on Q3's. I watched the race out there this weekend and based on times I could probably place top 5 in a race on this thing. The big issue is it's so tall, you really have to plan your passes well.

I'd never do it but to see the times I was able to run on a Sport Touring bike I was impressed.

How were all the electronics working for you?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
fastrob, i'd love to see photos of you on the multi at the track if you have them. sounds like you were haulin pretty good.

my track days were coaching days so i had an instructor working with me doing "lead/follow" then going in and watching it, working on stuff, then going out for more laps. so it was less about speed and more about technique and refining some problems and challenges i have. we all have them don't we!? i was not crawling around out there don't get me wrong but it was my first time on the multi at the track so it was definitely an adjustment and took me some time to get comfortable. mostly i was working on lines, vision, turn in rate, and brake timing. all that being said, i'm looking forward to taking it back for sure and ringing it's neck a bit more :surprise:

the angel gt tires were very, very impressive for a sport touring tire. i rode them to the edges in the back and literally almost no un used tire in the front, and they delivered. back never got out of alignment, but i did keep in mind that they are not high performance tires so was a bit more cautious i'd say, but just the idea i could be out there dragging a knee on them and getting around pretty good says alot about the tire for sure.

what are "M50's?" by the way lol.

ok, as for the electronics, brakes, and suspension i was again impressed overall. only suspension change i did to sport mode was to change the front from default to "harder" for compression/rebound and that helped the front "stick" a bit better on corner entry. but the skyhook, cornering abs, tc, wc, and dynamic nature of the suspension were really impressive. the brakes are unbelievable; those are some high quality, confidence inspiring brakes! i trail brake a ton and the brakes have amazing feel and power of course. super impressed there.

all for now..

Looks like you had a blast sir.
How did the Angels hold up to repeated laps? What did you think of the brakes and suspension overall?

I found after upgrading to M50's from my 1st to 2nd track day on the multi I was able to overload the front on the bumpy sections under braking, but never wanted or needed more brakes, and fatigue was drastically reduced. I was able to run competitive novice times on my multi on Q3's. I watched the race out there this weekend and based on times I could probably place top 5 in a race on this thing. The big issue is it's so tall, you really have to plan your passes well.

I'd never do it but to see the times I was able to run on a Sport Touring bike I was impressed.

How were all the electronics working for you?

·
Registered
987 Posts
fastrob, i'd love to see photos of you on the multi at the track if you have them. sounds like you were haulin pretty good.

my track days were coaching days so i had an instructor working with me doing "lead/follow" then going in and watching it, working on stuff, then going out for more laps. so it was less about speed and more about technique and refining some problems and challenges i have. we all have them don't we!? i was not crawling around out there don't get me wrong but it was my first time on the multi at the track so it was definitely an adjustment and took me some time to get comfortable. mostly i was working on lines, vision, turn in rate, and brake timing. all that being said, i'm looking forward to taking it back for sure and ringing it's neck a bit more :surprise:

the angel gt tires were very, very impressive for a sport touring tire. i rode them to the edges in the back and literally almost no un used tire in the front, and they delivered. back never got out of alignment, but i did keep in mind that they are not high performance tires so was a bit more cautious i'd say, but just the idea i could be out there dragging a knee on them and getting around pretty good says alot about the tire for sure.

what are "M50's?" by the way lol.

ok, as for the electronics, brakes, and suspension i was again impressed overall. only suspension change i did to sport mode was to change the front from default to "harder" for compression/rebound and that helped the front "stick" a bit better on corner entry. but the skyhook, cornering abs, tc, wc, and dynamic nature of the suspension were really impressive. the brakes are unbelievable; those are some high quality, confidence inspiring brakes! i trail brake a ton and the brakes have amazing feel and power of course. super impressed there.

all for now..
My wife took a ton from the first track day we did, sadly the last track day It was just us 5 so pics were limited. My buds did get some video so ill link that off youtube tonight when I get home.

I'll get the first runs off my wife's camera and post some up as well.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Sounds to me like you missed an opportunity to see just how well that Ducati Traction Control works ;) I have to admit: I've spent so long learning to be smooth on the throttle and the brakes that I just can't bring myself to grab a handful of throttle or brake just to see how well the TC and cornering ABS work.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts