Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
'99 ST2, '06 1000ss
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
On the pipe color, are you running race fuel [leaded?] Cam 2, Purple and Blue will give you a light grayish to white pipe color when the mix is right.
I'm running pump gas but the prior owner said he was running oxygenated race gas, I can't remember the brand. The pipe color looked a nice light grey when I got it, probably from the race gas and good mix. It just seems like it's getting lighter.

I'm very much leaning toward the CPS failure as being the culprit here. I've got some tapered feeler gages coming in tomorrow I think so I can check the gap. I have shim stock on hand and can make my own shims to place it wherever I want within .001" so perhaps even moving the one that's there closer might do the trick.

I called DucShop today and spoke with their M197 guy at length and he agrees that it sounds like an electrical problem and like the idea of cleaning/lubing all the electrical connections and checking the CPS air gap and the CPS itself. They're out of stock of the M196 cables so I'm looking around to see what I can find.

·
Registered
'99 ST2, '06 1000ss
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Interestingly. I learned, that SS and Superbike forks tend to be 720-740 mm from top to center of axle (888, 848, 749) while Monster (900, S4RS) tend to be shorter at 700-705. And yes, Monster's are very low.

One of the guys I share my workshop with does have a 1000 SS – if he comes in, I could measure that.
Excellent - Please measure from the bottom of the top clamp to the axle though. I have aftermarket clamps and I have no idea how their thickness compares to OEM. Measuring from the bottom of the top clamp eliminates that variable.

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
Did you check the “ Dimensions “ and “ General Specifications “ sections in the Workshop manual. Sometimes they include things like overall length of the forks.

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Another consideration about ride height / fork length: I'm also using an Ohlins shock with a longer eyelet. My shock length (measured off the bike) is 355 mm - probably 25 mm longer than most suggest.

The thing to remember about geometry is that there are lots of variables. My objectives in setting my bike up was to get more weight over the front, steepen the head angle/reduce trail, and increase ride height for clearance and "flickability". As you embark on your geometry journey, think about your objectives, take lot's of measurements, and make changes slowly.

Fwiw, I started a post on this several years ago here:

900 SS carbie chassis set-up | Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
I’m short si don’t like to raise the rear, and lower the front instead. I make sure that if full compression occurs there will still be tire and fender clearance .

·
Registered
341 Posts
If I could offer my two cents : always keep things simple.
First regarding the running issue - go ahead and pull the fuel pump assembly out. Plan on replacing the fuel filter and inspect the hoses VERY carefully. It sounds like you're losing fuel pressure at high RPM and this could be something as simple as a split fuel hose. I've encountered it more than once.

Secondly regarding the geometry - don't get too caught up on 'how many lines are showing' and things like that. Get a little angle gauge and put it on the fork tube and see what the rake angle actually is. After you've got this number you can either calculate or measure your trail figure. You can use the same little angle gauge to get a swingarm angle and then you'll know your major starting points. Rake should be somewhere in the 24-25* range, trail approx 100mm-ish, swingarm angle around 11 degrees or so. As long as your measurements end up in this RANGE the bike should handle acceptably and then you can fine tune them based on how you prefer the machine to feel.

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
What do you use to measure rake and trail ? Anything I’ve tried seems vague.

·
Registered
'99 ST2, '06 1000ss
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Rake should be somewhere in the 24-25* range, trail approx 100mm-ish, swingarm angle around 11 degrees or so.
Just measured "as delivered" at about 23.6º rake and about 9º swingarm angle. I don't know the trail but it is a 30mm offset triple which apparently makes the trail the same as the 90's super sports

·
Registered
'99 ST2, '06 1000ss
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
So great news on the motor front - Checked the air gap on the CPS today and it measured out to "more than .8mm" as I was able to fit a .85mm feeler in there. It was tight but it's right at the limit.

I pulled the shim out and it's a 1mm - quite corroded or should I say, it had a nice patina being brass and all. I went to lap it but as you could guess, lapping brass is slow going and I probably took maybe .001~.002" off the thing at most. I was using a good mic and basically I took it down to 1mm, it was a bit over before.

For giggles, I went for a test ride after and everything is fixed!!! Tach works. No dropouts, no rough running, lots of smiles from me and dirty looks from the people watching me ride by at 35mph at 7k+ in first gear :p.

Since it's clearly right on the edge of functioning, I'm going to order a .8mm shim tomorrow and put it in to make sure we stay in range.

Thank you Ducati.ms Hive Mind!!!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts