Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
So, I'm finally planning on making it to the Pocono Track Day on Aug. 8th; my first. I'm wondering how people handle their lights? Do you tape them or pull the fuse? What is the best tape to use? I run high-end HID's so I definitely don't want the tape to melt. Any other suggestions from the track veterans? I've been riding for many years so I don't need any suggestions to take a class blah blah blah. I don't plan on acting like an idiot on the track. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey All,
So, I'm finally planning on making it to the Pocono Track Day on Aug. 8th; my first. I'm wondering how people handle their lights? Do you tape them or pull the fuse? What is the best tape to use? I run high-end HID's so I definitely don't want the tape to melt. Any other suggestions from the track veterans? I've been riding for many years so I don't need any suggestions to take a class blah blah blah. I don't plan on acting like an idiot on the track. Thanks for the help.
I'd suggest pulling the fuse or, if you have stock brake lights, the bulb. Some of this depends on the track day provider as well. Out here, on the Left Coast, some promoters require you to tape over your headlights to minimize the plastic on the pavement when you crash even if you have the fuse pulled. Others will have you remove your mirrors, or tape over them. My point is that the rules vary by promoter, so check the web site for them and what else you can expect at the event (lunch provided, electricity available, covered pits or garages for rent, etc.).

Since you have expensive HID headlights, see if you can just pull a fuse to meet their requirements.

Other suggestions?
1. Give your machine a good "once over" and clean it thoroughly so any "issues" can be easily spotted before you head to the track.
2. If your promoter requires it, swap out the anti-freeze for a coolant without ethylene glycol (like Kool-Aide).
3. Fresh tires (or damn near "new")
4. Get a good nights rest before your track day (go to the expense of renting a hotel instead of driving right in ... unless you live near the track)
5. DON'T forget your key if you are hauling your machine to the track (many people have done this).
6. Fill the tank and bring plenty of fuel (depends on displacement, but 10 gallons should be more than enough), unless you don't mind contributing to the track in the form of higher priced racing fuels. I will buy at my favorite tracks just so they get a few more dollars from my visit.

These are answers to just a few "easy one's" I can think of this morning (Left Coast time). Sure there are plenty of other folks around here who can offer more.

Have fun,

·
Registered
39 Posts
My suggestion.... RIDE WITHIN YOUR MEANS! I instruct/marshal for a race organization called 2-Fast and the mean thing we teach new track riders is to ride YOUR own ride and not the person your following or chasing.

Remember, getting faster will be a BY PRODUCT of good hard SAFE practice.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I've been riding for many years so I don't need any suggestions to take a class blah blah blah. I don't plan on acting like an idiot on the track.
Really?:rolleyes:

3M blue or green masking tape and pull fuse.

Do a thread search, there are many on this subject.

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
Do yourself a favor.
Try to get all of your stuff sorted well in advance.
You can just pull the fuze. You still have to tape it all up also.

·
Registered
371 Posts
My suggestion.... RIDE WITHIN YOUR MEANS! I instruct/marshal for a race organization called 2-Fast and the mean thing we teach new track riders is to ride YOUR own ride and not the person your following or chasing.

Remember, getting faster will be a BY PRODUCT of good hard SAFE practice.
This is easy to get caught up in. The important thing is to notice it BEFORE you get to the corner as it may be too late then.

Our tracks require lights to be taped up and recommend pulling the headlight fuse so it doesn't melt to the light and make it harder to remove the tape. Taillight must be taped and fuse pulled so that no brake light is visible. I had to unplug both of mine as my lights share a fuse with other needed stuff, like the starter.

I also recommend taking off the mirrors and blinkers so if you do go down, they get spared. I lowsided my last track day, and the 10 minutes it took to take those off saved me a good chunk of replacement parts money as the left mirror and blinker would have been toast.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I havent been to poconos, but i HAVE heard A LOT of bad things about it.
1. narrow track
2. bad run off. Basically if you run off the track, you are going to fall because of bad deep ditches.

The fact that you are in NYC, you should try NJMP. it's only 2 hours away brand new and very very good track, specially thunderbolt.

which team are you riding with? how are you getting to the track? riding there? make sure you get to the track early to get the bike ready.

make sure you have good tires?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Just like dirt bike jumping...

When I go to a track day i look at the track with the first run or two going at a speed slow enough to see the track, but fast enough I don't get in anyone's way.

Next, step by step, understand each of the corners. In dirt biking its the jumps. I take the jumps slow, landing on the table tops, and progressively I accelerate getting a little more air each time. This allows me to have control over the speed and air more and more each time. Track riding is similar because you want to BUILD your understanding of the track memorizing the turns and bike placement in and out keeping in mind your speed.

The worst thing you can do is compete or push yourself against a lap time. The key is to be SMOOTH all the way through. Trying to go fast in the straight-away and slam on the brakes right before turning will cause you to crash (often happens because you just want to go fast). Think SMOOTH.

The throttle and braking is the key to your success-- SMOOTH on and SMOOTH off. If you focus on this, each lap will get faster and each turn will continue to get smoother without you realizing it.

I'm sure you know about apex. It's easy on tracks because usually the best line has the most rubber down. Focus on your apexing and see the turns before you get into them.

Oh, and remember as serious as this is, have fun too!

Taping lights - I use a good masking tape and I always bought a color that matched the bike. Removing bulbs is easy as well. Looks like you have a 1098, so you can pick up the light caps. They cover your stock front lights. Easy to install and easy to remove. Something like this...

http://www.advancedmotorsports.com/product-p/96983107b.htm

Tires, spend the money on a good set, they can make or break your good session!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I havent been to poconos, but i HAVE heard A LOT of bad things about it.
1. narrow track
2. bad run off. Basically if you run off the track, you are going to fall because of bad deep ditches.

The fact that you are in NYC, you should try NJMP. it's only 2 hours away brand new and very very good track, specially thunderbolt.
I may go there on Aug. 1st.

which team are you riding with?
STT.

how are you getting to the track?
Riding the morning of. Leaving about 5am.

make sure you have good tires?
My tires have 3500 miles on them. Stock.

On the website it says you have to drain the coolant and put in non-glycol but a friend I spoke to said he's never had to do that and he's riding the same bike as I am.

I just plan on taking it easy until I get the feeling for cornering at high speed. My top speed on the straightaway is 165 but it's a lot different when you have to turn.

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
My tires have 3500 miles on them. Stock.

On the website it says you have to drain the coolant and put in non-glycol but a friend I spoke to said he's never had to do that and he's riding the same bike as I am.

I just plan on taking it easy until I get the feeling for cornering at high speed. My top speed on the straightaway is 165 but it's a lot different when you have to turn.
Drain your coolant and put in water. or a non glycol. if you drop the bike and leak coolant all over the track not only will you ruin your day but everyone else that is trying to ride that day.
Also 3500 miles is a done tire for me. If you do not have these items sorted the tech inspectors will turn you away and then you will have to waste your good track time trying to get your bike to pass tech.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Alright I'll say it. Take a class, use a rental bike. FWIW most of the crackups I have seen have been first timers on superbikes.:eek:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bring some basic tools, a rear stand, a lawn chair, water, gatorade, food/snacks, ear plugs.

No need to go balls out on your first day. Best to just stay in 1 or 2 gears and just get to know the track, get to know the lines. It already takes a lot of concentration to just learn the lines, when to turn in, when to apply throttle...and that's even just having the bike in 1 gear the entire time. Once you start throwing in shifting, braking, etc...your mind starts to go crazy trying to translate all that into body motions. Don't worry about going fast....you're already going faster than you'd normally would on the street....and don't worry about faster riders; they'll always be someone faster than you. Remember, once you go down, your day is pretty much over; you wouldn't want that to happen. Like someone else said, try to have an instructor, you'd be surprised at how terrible your body position and style is.

Have fun...you are sooooo going to be addicted. Add another thing to the checklist to have to save up for.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey All,
which club will be there 8/8? I am interested in going that weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
1st track day

+1 on tires. Check your fasteners! If you can afford, buy yourself a gopro. The day will be a blur. You can go back and look at how you progress during the day and you can even learn a few things later. It is a good memento.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My top speed on the straightaway is 165 but it's a lot different when you have to turn.
Tape over your speedo. Lots of Rookies will focus on how fast they are going and completely miss their braking point.

Don't try and be fast, try and be smooth and fast will come.

Don't ride in the same group as a friend. You will eventually end up trying to go faster than them and bin it. Or watch them bin it and follow suit.

Remember to breathe.

I like to wiggle my fingers from time to time to avoid gripping the bars too tightly and developing arm pump.

Drink lots of water and sit and relax during your off track time. You will be amped up and waste alot of energy pacing and walking around.

Have a good time and post your impressions of the track and trackday organization.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Right from STT website

Bike Preparation
1) All bikes MUST pass technical inspection prior to admittance to the track. If your bike DOES NOT pass tech inspection, you will NOT receive a refund.

2) Tires and brakes must be in good condition. Tires should be at least 75% of new condition. Any tires that are bluing from excessive wear will be disallowed. Slicks are allowed in 85% plus condition. We will have on site tire service at each track day, so if your tires don't pass, you will have the opportunity to put on replacement tires to pass tech.

3) All glass, headlight, turn signals, and plastic lenses must be taped over or removed. Side mirrors must be removed for the advanced group and at least taped over for all other groups.

4) We recommend, but do not require removal of center stands. No bikes with center stands will be allowed in the Advanced/Racer Group due to the ground clearance issue.

5) All machines must have an operational handlebar mounted kill switch/button and self-closing throttle in good working condition.

6) Advanced and Intermediate group riders MUST use water or water wetter or a non-ethyl glycol based anti-freeze/coolant. Approved Poly Glycol brands are: Evans, 7th Gear, Liquid Performance, and Engine Ice. NO AUTOMOTIVE ETHYL GLYCOL BASED COOLANTS ARE ALLOWED.

7) All valve stems must have caps.

8) Wheel balance weights must be well-secured.

9) License plates must have bolts taped or be removed.

10) Added for 2009 season: Advanced riders are required to safety wire drain plugs and oil fil caps if possible. Minimum requirement is RTV silicone on both. We highly suggest securing the oil filter as well. NOTE: If you spill oil on the track your day is over.

Seeing as this is your first track day, if you are trailering your bike in, try and have your bike ready for tech PRIOR to getting to the track and try and get to the track early so you can find a place to set up your gear, go through registration and tech, relax and enjoy the environment.

Make sure you bring plenty of food and "good" drinks (water, gatoraide, etc). If you own one, a POP up for shade and a chair are great to bring with you.

NUMBER ONE RULE... RELAX AND HAVE FUN

NUMBER TWO RULE... If you have a question, need help, need a tool, want some advice, ASK SOMEONE. Track day people are awesome always willing to lend a hand.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I'm not a first timer on a Superbike.
So this isn't your first trackday? Then I guess we all misunderstood. Sorry.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts