Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I need a little help.

A new category has just been created in the Canadian vintage motorcycle championship. For my greatest pleasure, the 916 and the 748 are part of it.
Of course, motorcycles must be built with parts available during this time. Here it's maximum 1996.
The point I particularly want to know is when the first radial front brake pump was available. The furthest I have found is on the 748R in 2000 and in the 2001 ducati performance catalog ( 2001_superbike.pdf ).
Would anyone know if it was already available in 1996?
In any catalog, at any price, it just has to be available to the public.
it can also be an aftermarket part, as long as it was available in 1996.

Many thx in advance for your help.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
This is my 1996 Ducati 916 Corsa. It was raced in AMA superbike during the 1996 season and won two rounds. Here is a pic where you can see the radial brake master on the front. It was available and many teams ran them. Hope that helps.

274BF029-A983-43FB-848B-A94473FDFAC9.jpeg

·
Registered
731 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, Ducati streetbikes didn't have radial pumps as standard equipment until the 749/999 series.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, Ducati streetbikes didn't have radial pumps as standard equipment until the 749/999 series.
That's my recollection as well.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The first that I found was the 748R in 2000. But that doesn't mean it wasn't possible to buy them from the ducati performance catalog before.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx and yes, a lot of teams used them, but I can't find any evidence that the public could also buy them, not just the racing teams.

This is my 1996 Ducati 916 Corsa. It was raced in AMA superbike during the 1996 season and won two rounds. Here is a pic where you can see the radial brake master on the front. It was available and many teams ran them. Hope that helps.

View attachment 987915

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
the 748r didn't have one oem. there's an old 851 race bike out here that bob brown ran and it has an old brembo radial master on it. clutch one as well. would have been early 90's. if the factory race teams had them then you could buy them.

this one certainly has a radial clutch master, hard to see the brake one. another of phil's galleries shows fallapa's bike with a brake lever that looks like this one and it's on a radial.

and fitted to a 95 916 corsa here - 1995 955 Corsa - 955C - 001 - Phil Aynsley Photography

·
Matt
661 Posts
Radial master cylinders didn't come standard on the 916-era street bikes, but they were available via Ducati Performance (or through any Brembo source) from the beginning of the 916-era (and maybe before, I do not know the prior generation very well). They were standard on the race bikes, as Sherpa noted. Here's my unridden 1995 916 Corsa which is stock...the radial masters were standard. Again, this is a race bike and not a street bike...but many of the race bike upgrades, including radial master cylinders, were available via the Ducati Performance catalog.

Reactions: vtwin

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Many many thx for your help, I hope I'll have enough evidence with that.

Cross your fingers for me lol

·
Registered
373 Posts
As others have said, I am only aware of the 916 era racers being fitter with radial master cylinders and when the 999 era started radial master cylinders became standard.

If there is an issue with being elligible to use radial pumps that were only accessories, you migh consider this alternative.

My Bimota Furano has been fitted with a pair of AP Racing master cylinders. Originally, the Furano had the same braking set-up as the 916SP and 996SPS (i.e. identical
conventional
Brembo's top and bottom and cast iron discs). The AP Racing units are still conventional master cylinders that also happen to be adjustable for both span and lever ratio and as a bonus, they are from the correct era.

In my view the AP Racing braking is a match in both feel and power to the radial 999 master cylinder I fitted to my 996R. In both cases, the upgrade radiacally improved the braking expereince (but not my skills)

Andrew...

·
Premium Member
5,108 Posts
There were magnesium radials available to Ducati in the 80’s. Trying to find a link but can’t 😡

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,872 Posts
Radial masters were available before the 916 (not equipped on production bikes though). Got an AP Racing and 3 of these Brembos. Not for sale though, as a pair will be going back on the Adamo 851.

Oh yeah, these are reversible. Not really optimized for the clutch side, but you flip it over and swap the banjo and bleeder.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Radial masters were available before the 916 (not equipped on production bikes though). Got an AP Racing and 3 of these Brembos. Not for sale though, as a pair will be going back on the Adamo 851.

Oh yeah, these are reversible. Not really optimized for the clutch side, but you flip it over and swap the banjo and bleeder.

View attachment 988244
A few treasures there, Adam, well done to hang on to them and thanks for sharing. They will look fantastic on that beautiful ol’ girl.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,872 Posts
A few treasures there, Adam, well done to hang on to them and thanks for sharing. They will look fantastic on that beautiful ol’ girl.
Thanks. The AP clutch master and one of these Brembos was on the 851 when I got it. My first priority was to get everything operating well, but eventually I'll swap the modern RCS masters out and get the original, period-modified tank repaired and back on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts