Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The last CMRA race of the season is coming up the end of this month. My son and I are planning to do the licensing class that weekend so we can start racing next year. The Q3+ I’ve been running are getting a little tired so I decided to go all in and put on a fresh set of DOT race rubber. This should be interesting. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
364 Posts
I ran the S20 for years and absolutely loved them. The R11 are suppose to be their updated version, so they should be very nice. Hopefully I’ll see you on the track next year, at CMRA. I done this year due to other things going on and I crashed the 300 a few months ago and haven’t repaired it yet.

·
19,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool! Hope to see you there. :)

·
19,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope it’s my latest creation cause I’m afraid of crashing the Monster. :) Besides, the little 400 is faster. :) The Black one is mine and the green one is my kids. :)

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Besides, the little 400 is faster.

So clearly you are not talking drag racing. :laugh:

You are talking keep the revs up there, and cornering speed. Enjoy. >:)

·
Registered
415 Posts
The last bike I raced on before I retired from racing was a 300 Ninja. I've been out for a couple of years and haven't raced since the R11's hit the market, but I have to wonder how they compare to to gold standard of Pirelli SC's. The R11's gotta be real tempting based on price.

·
19,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The last bike I raced on before I retired from racing was a 300 Ninja. I've been out for a couple of years and haven't raced since the R11's hit the market, but I have to wonder how they compare to to gold standard of Pirelli SC's. The R11's gotta be real tempting based on price.

I don’t have any experience with the SC’s. I know the R11 is in the same category of DOT race tires. Around here, in this class, everyone runs the SC’s or the new Dunlop slicks made for the MotoAmerica Junior Cup series. In the past I’ve liked BS tires and just wanted to try something different.

On a super grippy track like Jennings, Fl the Q3+ is more than enough tire for me. At our local track in Houston they are slidding in all the tight turns. Very greasy making me think I can use something with more grip. We’ll see. :)

·
19,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Besides, the little 400 is faster.

So clearly you are not talking drag racing. :laugh:

You are talking keep the revs up there, and cornering speed. Enjoy. >:)

Yes. Corner speed is way different. Way different. :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
On a super grippy track like Jennings, Fl the Q3+ is more than enough tire for me. At our local track in Houston they are slidding in all the tight turns. Very greasy making me think I can use something with more grip. We’ll see. :)

I’m going to go back to the bridgestones. I went with the Q3+ this year and although I loved them on a cold and hot track, but when they got wet, they turned to snot. :frown2: I do believe that’s why I crashed. It rained on half the track and I went down taking it beyond easy. :frown2:

·
19,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A cold track is bad enough. For now when it rains I stay in the pits. :)

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
When you are in contention for that MotoGP championship you might change your mind.
Like that will happen outside your dreams. :laugh:

I don't roll out if it's raining. Did get caught in a downpour a few months ago.
The "waterproof" Joe Rocket Survivor suit turns out to be more water " resistant".

·
Bon Vivant
11,571 Posts
This was my tire experience at the track:

Street tires over heated and greased if I used warmers, without warmers they heated to temp in about a half a lap and stayed stable.
Race tires were slick when cold and I couldnt ride hard enough to bring fully up to temp without warmers. With warmers they worked great and never greased up, but if I didnt ride full-on aggressive the whole time they would cool off and get slick again.

For my level of aggression street tires without warmers worked best for me for track days. But if I was racing I'd run race tires and warmers.

Sounds like you were over heating the street tires, if you use warmers on the street tires that could be part of the problem... But make sure you use warmers on these new tires.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Level of aggression, LOL.
That's why I decided I had enough track days.
I did not feel the need to push the envelope much.

Others felt the need to ride like complete jackasses. Apparently.
If I am not pushing, why am I on track?
So, I mostly fly solo on back roads. Freebird. :wink2:

·
19,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
At the last track day I got in one and a half 30 minute sessions before the great flood came and ended the fun. I was using warmers on the Dunlop Q3+. They worked amazingly well. Better than going out cold. I set pressures as recommended by Dunlop at 35f/26r after warming for an hour at 180 degrees. The first lap out was so much better than going out cold. But it was also better for the entire session. When I came in and checked the tires (after maybe 100 yards of slow riding back through the pits) both tires were at 190 degrees and pressures were at 36f/28r.

Besides being able to ride fast on the first lap out I think this consistency in temp and pressure are the major advantages of using warmers.

Dunlop recommends 33f/24f when going out cold. Only 2 psi difference! If, and I mean if, you start at this pressure and are able to get the temps up to 190, on a 90 degree day, you would be at about 43f/34r. So why not start out at a lower cold pressure? You can’t. It would destroy the tire very quickly.

Tires are truly black magic. :)

PS, this Dunlop Q3+ was the control tire used by MotoAmerica in the Liqui Moly junior cup series prior to switching to the new slick they came out with this year.

·
Registered
364 Posts

Rain has never bothered me. Hell, it’s a good reason to slow down a bit and really work on your line a s such. No one is out there, so might as well make use of a clear track. That particular time, I went out dry and had rain at the other end of the track. I got through it once and the track was dry again. I almost pit, but figured I have done this several times and they don’t stop for rain in CMRA, so this will be good practice. I got back to the rain area (the launch and keyhole at msrh) and slowed way down. Coming out of a turn (the keyhole), the bike hit the ground. I was fine and the bike looked pretty good till I noticed the left rear set ripped out of the frame. :frown2: that was a short day.

I ran cota in the total wet/down pour on the Hyper. For a sucky day, I had a ton of fun and passed a ton of people. >:) one of the instructors was also on a Hyper and we were laughing about how much fun we were having. >:)

Attachments

·
19,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hear you about actual racing. If I ever get to the point of being able to run up front and really running for points I guess I’d just have to suck it up and learn to ride in the rain. I have zero wet weather experience and it scares me. Maybe if that day ever comes I’ll get a spare set of wheels and put some PP5’s on them. :)

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I hear you about actual racing. If I ever get to the point of being able to run up front and really running for points I guess I’d just have to suck it up and learn to ride in the rain. I have zero wet weather experience and it scares me. Maybe if that day ever comes I’ll get a spare set of wheels and put some PP5’s on them. :)
You never got caught out in the rain on a ride? Or never did a track day in rain?
None of the track days I did were wet, but caught a big downpour a while back.
Was not thrilled about riding in Freeway traffic, but figured at least there are no traffic signal for people to run.
I am not so worried about traction as visibility, and my foggy shield, riding in the rain.

·
19,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh no. I’ve toured many miles in the rain. I don’t think I’ve ever crossed the Florida Georgia border without being hit with a downpour. :)

I’ve ridden the Dragon and crossed the Cherohala Skyway many times in the fog and rain. But that’s way different than trying to go fast on a race track when it’s wet. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts