Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've done the Gold Wing and HD Road King thing, and for the last year a Duc Multistrada S. The fun definitely got better with the performance of the bike - my riding skills too, I hope.

After a test ride on a 999 at a dealer open house I couldn't get the awsome feeling of connectedness with the bike out of my head. Last Saturday they got in an 05 999R with full Termis and all kinds of trick parts as a trade-in. Yesterday I called the owner, checked details and price and I'm going to pick it up on Saturday. :)

Now, of course I know that this bike is way over my riding experience and skills, but I am ready to take it slow to go fast and I am excited about the challenge.

Any morsels of wisdom from members who've been down that road are more than welcome.

I'll be back with photos when I get her home...

Btw, I am keeping the Multi for 2-up and trip duty for now. We'll see how the two get along in the garage.

Peace,
Geronimo

Attachments

·
I'm NOT an AAAAA-d-m-i-n
210 Posts
I can ride it for ya....:D

That's all I got.

Where abouts are ya in the DFW area?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I think you are smart that you aren't just diving into a bike like this. Obviously you have riding experience, so riding and balance won't be foreign to you, just know that the bike you are sitting on can flat out scream. Just take it easy and it will come to you. I would say there is nothing about the bike to be nervous about.

A word of Caution, Just get used to when you let off the throttle, the bike winds down really fast, esp. if you let it snap back, it WILL jerk you forward.

Also, if you try to "Wrap" the throttle, the motor will cut out on you...be smooth with the throttle.

Lastly, as I am sure you are aware, the mirrors suck, so just be preparred to have your head on a swivel.

Other than that, the thing handles wonderfully, just get used to how it reacts. I have 500 miles on my 999 "S" and I am learning more and more each day, and feel that my riding is improving each subsequent time I hop on.

Anyway, best of luck

·
Registered
610 Posts
Can you say "SICK"......

all I ask is that you actualy ride it! I've seen to many of these high end bikes with no miles on them! Get out there and show the world how sweet being a Ducati owner is.

Oh ya one more thing, the dry clutch set up is a liitle tuf at first. Most people like to swap out the clutch master slave cylinder to ease the pull....upto you!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
AMS Ducati track days!....closed course safe surroundings to be able to get a feel for the bike without distraction...and Control Riders to give you tips to help you out!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SeanFromTX said:
Where abouts are ya in the DFW area?
North Richland Hills

BHakaLa said:
Just take it easy and it will come to you.
Thanks for the tips.

StavesacredarK said:
"all I ask is that you actualy ride it! "
No worries there, The HD had 15k miles (3 years), the Multi has 8.5k miles after 1 year, I intend to get my money's worth by enjoying the bike on the road...

zooom said:
"AMS Ducati track days!."
The pic in my first post on the Multi is from the last AMS trackday end of April.

Thanks everyone!
Cheers,
Geronimo

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
You'll be fine. You've been to the track fer crying out loud so you're not a squid.

This is my advice and this pretty much applies to everything...

Don't disrespect it and it won't come back to bite you on your ass!

Have fun.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
level7 said:
Don't disrespect it and it won't come back to bite you on your ass!

Have fun.
That's about the best advice I've seen.

A 999R is really too dangerous, if you like at the June AMS track day I'll ride it for you ;)

·
Premium Member
8,765 Posts
You lucky dog

·
Registered
128 Posts
WoW....Lucky You!!!!!Ducati is passion.....So ride it with passion....Lean it in turns and accelerate fast out of turns...Thats when you know your having fun in a 999R...

·
Registered
396 Posts
As mentioned, you sound like the perfect [future] 999R owner. Most times, its a case of trying to convince a new rider that hasn't ridden before that the latest R1 isn't for him.

Welcome to Ducati superbikes and enjoy! :yeah:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Maybe this wasn't such a crazy deed after all. As with most my major (life changing) purchases and decisions, I will know in 6 months...

I'll keep you posted once I got some saddle time. I hope the purchase dance and suspension setup on Saturday will leave me with enough time for a couple hundred miles initiation ride afterwards.

Peace,
Geronimoo

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
New to you 999r

First thing I did was to get my bikes suspension and geometry set up correctly for me. The stock rear shock spring is set up for someone 150 pounds or less. Check your sag numbers and see where you are and then go from there. A new rear shock spring is like right at $100.00 or so. I had mine done at Section 8 and they had to revalve the rebound due to the heavier spring. I would have Section 8 do your shock work just because they did a good job for me. Give them a shout and see what they can do for you.

·
Registered
132 Posts
new ride

I too came from a Multistrada to a 999, not a R but a 999- sold the Multistrada! I can't get off the thing, I love everything about it. I spend 6 to 8 hours a session with no problems at all, I'm 59 yrs. old. The mirrors are useless but Ducati makes an after market mirror that's a little better, at least you can see cars coming up from behind, they have the turn signals in them and they cost about $70.00 a piece. If you are like me, you'll get a rush just looking at the thing, but better yet, you get to ride it too! Just respect the machine and be safe, they are a joy to ride at any speed.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.