Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All in all I was pretty impressed with the bike. The stock suspension was ok once I got it dialled in as best as I could. Front springs will need to be replaced as was pretty much on full preload (im about 100kgs with gear).

I bought the bike with pretty good S20 Batlax on it, probably only with 1000klms. When I unloaded the bike at the track I noticed a nail in the back tyre. Didn't feel comfortable plugging so had to fork out for some new pirelli super corsas (not a bad thing!) They had no 170 rears in stock at the track but the 180 felt fine to me, and super sticky.. nice tyres... (If any one in oz wants some sheap S20s that can be plugged let me know..)

By the third session I was riding it much harder then I would take my old Superlight around that track (very gentle with the old girl these days) and it seemed to cope pretty well and felt quite strong.

The only two issue that popped up were:
1. Between turns 5 and 6 the bike seemed to bog down and feel a bit starved for fuel. Only there for some reason.
2. After the 4th session there was what seemed to be a bit of an oil leak from the filler cap. I tightened it up, as well as snicking up the case bolt above filler cap, cleaned it up and then after session 5 same thing, I could actually see a little bit of oil bubbling through between the cap and case... weird... never seen that on any of my ducs. Retightened and came in after one lap of session 6 to check and same thing so didnt want to risk it and called it a day.

The hose run under the seat with filter for oil breather seemed to work. I used clear hose so I could see if any oil was travelling up there butg all clear.

Next step is suspenssion service, breather overflow reservoir, single seat, open clutch (probably machine the orginal) and more track time....

cheers

ps... whenever I change my sig to include the 98 900 it doesnt stick...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Lucky bugger. Sounds like fun. :)

Re your sig - I think you're only allowed two lines now, unless you're paid up.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
You may want to rethink the open clutch if you track the bike in anger. The adage is not IF you crash but WHEN. A right hand lowside with an open clutch will often break the spring perches for the pressure plate ending your day unless you have a spare[once you get it back to the pits].
You can vent the periphery of the cover with a few holes to release heat and dust but you don't need to swiss cheese the thing. On my SS I welded a 3/16 piece of aluminum plate on the face of my cover with two one inch holes in the bottom of the cover. It has survived a couple of not so soft lowsides with nothing but some scratches.

·
Premium Member
5,165 Posts
lol.... I always fall for the 98 bikes being different everywhere but the USA. Its a fuelie !!!

You might disregard the part numbers for the breather box and hose as they may be different.

Yes the fuelie is a great track bike (better out of the box then the carby), with a few mods the bikes do very well in our local club race series. super corsas are great track tires they stick very well and handle well on these bikes. Longevity, cost and wet performance are the weak points to using them, you should have a 5.50 inch rear wheel if you do then the 180 is the size you wanted anyway, the 170 will turn quicker but the 180 is the tire 5.50" wheels were designed around 170 or 190 are +- size. If it is a 4.50" then no you really want a 160 not a 170 or 180.

1. Between turns 5 and 6 the bike seemed to bog down and feel a bit starved for fuel. Only there for some reason.
Not familiar with the track enough to know, someone who does can probably help more but what rpm/throttle angle and gear are you at in that spot?
2. After the 4th session there was what seemed to be a bit of an oil leak from the filler cap. I tightened it up, as well as snicking up the case bolt above filler cap, cleaned it up and then after session 5 same thing, I could actually see a little bit of oil bubbling through between the cap and case... weird... never seen that on any of my ducs. Retightened and came in after one lap of session 6 to check and same thing so didnt want to risk it and called it a day.
A couple things could cause this so lets go down the list.
1. bad cap seal and o-ring, I only tss this with aftermarket caps so it is possible but less likely.
2. Oil pressure sensor leak, This happens plenty so inspect the sensor around the base of it as well as disconnect the sensor wire and look down inside, if it is wet change it. These are high pressure leaks so it will push out oil quickly when bad especially at high rpms. On our track bikes we often eliminate them by plugging the sensor hole, if you are worried about pressure just check it once a year. most of the time the light stays on it is either a bad sensor or it is telling you your motor was done about 2 turns ago, 90% of the time it is a bad sensor.

3. base gasket leak, look at the vertical base gasket right near the right rear corner. this is the top end oil feed passage and is also hi pressure so of ten if it leaks it fills the pockets in the casting here.

4. Layshaft seal, under the belt cover the center pulley has a seal behind it that is a common leak point. This is Not high pressure but will weep and run down to the area you describe, next time the belts are off pull the pulley and see if the case is wet behind the pulleys.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, really helpful info... cheers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi vjc,

Good on ya for getting a 900SS for the track....I've also got a once road-going 900SSie (2001) which I've set up the track. I love it.

I'm guessing you're riding at Eastern Creek? It's 20 years since I've ridden there but it's uphill between turns 5 & 6 isn't it? I was just pondering the bogging down issue you experienced. What gearing are you running and what rpm do you see exiting 5?

I used to have what was possibly a similar problem with my bike at one specific section of Baskerville Raceway here in Tas. A change to the gearing helped, (14-41 now) and more importantly Brad Black reflashed the ecu.

Are you able to ride the Brabham layout of the circuit? Looks like fun...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts