Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my 06 999s last Thursday night, and was finally able to go for a decent ride yesterday. Of course I can't feel the full power of the motor because of the 6000 rpm limit till after breakin. I went down some curvey roads and was impressed on how stable the 999s is when leaned over. I didn't want to get to aggresive but the 999 was basically laughing at everything I threw at it. I am itching to get back and go at it some more. :)

·
Administrator
12,443 Posts
It just gets better and better. Your body will break in to the bike and the bike will break in to you ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Scott,yea I can't wait till after breakin when I can lean on the motor and hear that great V-twin sound.Plus after the breakin I am having the exhaust put on so that V-twin can breath alittle better. My Aprilia had Brembo brakes but they weren't the radial Brembo's that are on the 999 and wow those radial brakes have a strong intial bite. My wife thinks I'm crazy because I told her that I could just get a chair and sit out in my garage and just look at my Ducati. I think my wife is worried because I keep looking at all the stuff I can get for the bike in the Ducati catalog.

·
Premium Member
8,730 Posts
Any changes on the 06 model?

Congratulations on the new ride.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Congrats :)

Enjoy the Duc and once the breakin is done and the racing exhaust installed, it will be a whole new bike :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
roadrash194 said:
I think my wife is worried because I keep looking at all the stuff I can get for the bike in the Ducati catalog.
When I got my 999S, I spent so much time in garage those first few weeks my wife named her "the red bitch"...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks John, MV 999R, I don't think there are any changes to the 06 999s compared to the 05. Mine has the Ohlins forks with the radial brakes and rear Ohlins shock. The same setup as the 999R. I am pretty sure the 05's where the same. The bike sounds pretty plugged up right now MV 999R, so I am pretty excited about getting the exhaust put on. I think next week I am going to take a day off so I can put on the 600 miles as fast as I can, and of course I live in Florida so weather isn't an issue. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Awesome! I am trying to get over the break in period myself. If my bike hadn't been in the shop for so long I would have hit it by now. :cool:

·
Registered
929 Posts
The break in period needs to be followed closely to what the factory says is what i'm hearing? That is another big difference between the twin ducs and the inline4 imports. Nine out of ten mechanics say not to break them in softly (imports). 600 miles of wanting to let errr rip, and another good reason not to buy a demo? They never told me to take it easy and I did'nt on my demo run.

Don

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea keef95 I think my wife understands (its a guy thing) she says that I 've either been hit in the head to much (crashing) or not enough she doesn't know which. :D Psychor I hope everything is ok now and you won't have any more interuptions on putting miles on your Ducati.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
congrats. i was out all weekend riding wondering about how i would be will 999 power.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I too am in the break in period, just got my 749 last week and because of weather have only put about 100 miles on her.

I did though today order a zard exhaust system and can't wait to install it.

Tell me why would you wait for the first service before putting on a new exhaust?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey stucatz, well the dealer said that they will have the bike apart when they service it anyway, so money wize you get more bang for your buck. I know some racers that heat cycle the motor a few times and its wide open on the track,but my dealer did not recommend that and suggested that I wait till my first service till I have them put the exhaust on.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Were you aware that the 06's do not come as a single seat on the 999 or did you notice it later. Thats why i'm leaning towards an 05. I was at Motocorsa in Portland yesterday and they have both

roadrash194 said:
I picked up my 06 999s last Thursday night, and was finally able to go for a decent ride yesterday. Of course I can't feel the full power of the motor because of the 6000 rpm limit till after breakin. I went down some curvey roads and was impressed on how stable the 999s is when leaned over. I didn't want to get to aggresive but the 999 was basically laughing at everything I threw at it. I am itching to get back and go at it some more. :)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Congrats on your new bike! I always find the break-in period for a new bike/car to be very difficult. Keeping the revs down takes all the self-control I have. I hope your new bike gives you many miles of smiles.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The dealer I was at did not have any regular 999's. He had a 999R and a 999S on the floor, and I bought the 999S which is a single seater. On a different subject, today I was running a few errands with the bike,so as I was getting on my bike at one of my stops a young guy in a car passing by says "nice bike to bad it doesn't have a motor". I guess if you don't have a million hp you have a weak motor. I don't care I love my 999S,and it is everything in a bike that I want.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Ooops I forgot you had an "s" . No motor? just jealous people.

Congrats again

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Break in???? You guys kill me! I am of the school that you break it in the way you want it to run. I took both my bikes and rung them out from day one. Don't get me wrong, I didn't abuse it but I wasn't scared to use it (or exceed 6,000 rpm) There's tons of support out there for both methods and you can call me crazy if you want but I've never had a days problem from running them good from the get go. The intent of the break in period (as I have been taught) is you don't want to red line it for hard long periods until the rods "stretch" but you don't want to baby or "lug" the motor neither. That's actually worse. But, to each his own I guess.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea Galaxy, I have heard the same thing, and you might be right,and I think lugging the motor is worse,but the way I look at it taking it easy for 600 miles ain't going to kill me and its not going to hurt the motor either. Its not like I puppy the motor, I mean I still will get on it but I try to stay around 6000rpm like the factory says.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts