Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys

I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to take the new V4 S for a ride this past Saturday. This bike is an animal! Handled very well, smooth power (extreme power...) delivery, fantastic brakes. The DQS is friggin amazing; it even blips the throttle on downshift (when needed).

A few criticisms: the windscreen is too small; even in a full tuck you still have a bit of buffeting. Also the S (without an aftermarket pipe) doesn't sound all that great; I was expecting a little more MotoGP and less V twin (fully muffled, it sounded more like a V-Star as opposed to a Duc'). And the kickstand is really hard to kick up while your in the saddle and very difficult to find when you want to put it down.

Lastly, I'm a short guy, I have a 28" inseam and I was way concerned about coming to a stop (On my old 998 the shop was able to lower the bike with the ride height adjuster enough that I felt comfortable coming to a stop).

I asked the sales guy if they can adjust the height and he said he didn't know enough about the bike to give me his opinion. He couldn't see a ride height link but he did look at the rear shock and there was about a 1/4 inch of thread showing (where the spring is). He said compressing that down would help and also shaving the seat. He also mentioned that the reason the V4 is not so loud is that on the stock pipe there's a "flap" to keep the sound down at idle. I've never heard of that.

I'm not much of an expert, but it would seem that if you're spending all that dough, the bike should be able to be lowered without ruining a seat or making it so stiff that my fillings fall out. AND it should sound like a Ducati.

What's the consensus..

Do you think they can get the bike lowered where I don't have to alter the seat?

Do you think with a proper pipe this bike can sound like the $39,999 of purchase price (I'm leaning towards a Speciale)?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Hi Guys
I'm not much of an expert, but it would seem that if you're spending all that dough, the bike should be able to be lowered without ruining a seat or making it so stiff that my fillings fall out. AND it should sound like a Ducati.

What's the consensus..

Do you think they can get the bike lowered where I don't have to alter the seat?
This bike wasn't designed to fit everybody. I heard the new Supersport is a nice bike

·
Registered
466 Posts
This bike wasn't designed to fit everybody. I heard the new Supersport is a nice bike

My initial reaction was along these lines, but on second thought realized that these bikes were not designed for the tiny minority who can take advantage of all of the bike's potential .. not sure how many mid-forties professionals (which I imagine the vast majority of buyers are) come close to using all of what a 214 hp superbike with perfect geometry can do.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Tom, I'll figure it out. I'm on the list for a Speciale and it's got the Akro pipe. I'm hoping it sounds better. As far as the kickstand goes, I think I'll just lay it down in the grass when I come to a stop, like a Schwinn Sting-Ray

·
Registered
289 Posts
This is pure speculation, because I haven't seen or ridden one of these bikes yet, but if they are like most modern motorcycles they have to pass both emissions AND noise tests, including a "drive by" sound test. My wr250r, for example, came geared from the factory about 6 teeth too small on the rear sprocket so it could putter by at low RPM for the noise test. I also was able to remove (no exaggeration) 15 pounds of emission and exhaust control junk... The result? The bike feels like it has 50% more horsepower but it's much louder.

Edit: This Website explains the sound test. It's even worse than I thought. No bike I own would pass.

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Some dealers wont be able to see through what you want, but it can absolutely be fixed!
Working in one of swedens best dealerships one of our main selling points was exactly this, set the bike up for the customer no matter what.
We lowered hightened mapped and did everything, and its still the most appreciated dealer nationally because of this flexibility.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Some dealers wont be able to see through what you want, but it can absolutely be fixed!
Working in one of swedens best dealerships one of our main selling points was exactly this, set the bike up for the customer no matter what.
We lowered hightened mapped and did everything, and its still the most appreciated dealer nationally because of this flexibility.
We have the same problem here. Dealer and/or young mechanics who can’t or won’t think outside the box. The amount of times I’ve been told “you can’t lower a superbike because.....”
In defence of the dealer I can understand why thing won’t get changed. Litigation I believe is the main. “I crashed because the bike was altered from its original design.” etc. Trust me, it happens. My sandblaster got sued (and lost) because the HD oil tank should have been cleaned out by him, not the painter or mechanic, because he let it get in there. Sign an indemnity. Nope. If you knew there could be a problem, even though the customer asked you to do it, you should have known better. “I lost my job because you knowingly fitted an illegal tail light/numberplate holder and those points I lost......” You have to be sooo damn carful.

·
Bon Vivant
11,719 Posts

Do you think with a proper pipe this bike can sound like the $39,999 of purchase price (I'm leaning towards a Speciale)?
No I dont think it can be lowered enough to give you a safe feeling without altering the geometry and affecting the handling.

No, I dont believe a pipe will change the Vtwin sound of the new pani. it will just make it louder. The firing order of the new duc makes it sound like two twins while other V4 bikes have a different firing order and thats why they sound like a Ferrari...

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
There’s no reason you can’t get 25mm lower both ends. If the forks are narrower under the clamps or thicker under the bars it maybe difficult. And no, if done properly it won’t compromise the handling apart from a little ground clearance. But let’s face it, how many of you are going to be dragging pegs and fairings on the street? How many of you can even do it at the track?

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Buster Saunders. Aussie SBK rider in the 80’s

Did quite well.
The only picture of him getting of the line are in my head when I started behind him.

·
Premium Member
4,377 Posts
Thanks Tom, I'll figure it out. I'm on the list for a Speciale and it's got the Akro pipe. I'm hoping it sounds better. As far as the kickstand goes, I think I'll just lay it down in the grass when I come to a stop, like a Schwinn Sting-Ray
I think the Akro is still Euro4... so it'll be pretty quiet.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts