Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for a first ride on the new-to-me 851 after doing a timing belt change (with Ducati belts). It has two issues:

1. While de-clutching to shift gear, there is a noticeable squeak, if I let out the clutch quickly. No noise if let clutch out slowly.
2. The bike came with no gas, and today I topped off gas for the first time. There is a continuous drip of gas out the overflow tube running to the bottom of the bike. Slow, but continuous, drip drip drip.

What are some explanations?

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
There are several explanations for #1 but #2 sounds like you overfilled it. The fuel swirls in that tank with the pump and can expand a bit with heat. To be safe, you should make sure you fill the tank with the bike on the side stand and leave a finger or two of space below the bottom of the neck of the filler.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,370 Posts
I remember my clutch making a squeak similar to what you describe. I took the pressure plate and springs off, cleaned it all up, and put it back together. The squeak was gone. I think something was just rubbing. Don't forget to position the pressure plate correctly when reinstalling.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I sucked out two gallons of gas from the tank and the leak stopped. I think I will put some back tomorrow to see when it begins to leak.

As for the clutch thing, I need a work shop manual first. Any pointer of where to get one?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I sucked out two gallons of gas from the tank and the leak stopped. I think I will put some back tomorrow to see when it begins to leak.

As for the clutch thing, I need a work shop manual first. Any pointer of where to get one?

you will likely find the overflow drain has split or broken inside the tank, access is through the top, remove the filler cap assembly and then the "sump" which is located with grub screws, when you take it apart i would advise you replace the fuel filter and all the hoses (use in tank fuel hose!) as well as the drain which IIRC runs from the sump to a barb on the bottom of the tank and then to the ground with a barb on the outside of the bottom of the tank. There's a white plastic degasser in there that you don't need to replace, just refit the old one (this is all a good idea as you're in there and who knows how long since anyone was....) I would also buy a new sump O ring and use rubber grease liberally when reinstalling it.

The clutch is a very easy job, just lay everything out in order, clean it and reinstall in the reverse. check for wear of your basket, hub and both driven and driving plates. The "squeak" is likely dust and/or wear but a good clean will make a difference, even if you reinstall it and use it until you can get around to replacing anything worn out.
Basic hand tools will get the job done for the clutch disassembly, until you need to replace the basket.

Cheers
Paul.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
when you are reassembling the clutch the screws need to be torqued to the correct value.
5nm from memory but that will be in the manual.
when I did mine I did not have a torque wrench that went that low and due to time of day could not borrow one.

I used a hex wrench (L shaped) and a suitcase weighing scale.
Worked out how many kg to pull at 10 cm, the length of my wrench/key, required to provide 5nm or whatever it was torque.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, so I found the fuel leak. It turns out the hose clamp is just loose so I tightened it up and refilled the tank and it is not leaking. Great. BUT...

In the process I had to remove the top bezel and now it won't fit back anymore. No amount of lubrication or shoving will get the bezel to push down to its seat. The last time I did this on a Paso 25 years ago, I seem to remember having to get a new green oring. Or, is there a new trick?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
O ring has swollen. You may eventually get it in another couple tries. Or, it might take until about 5 minutes before the UPS guy shows up with the replacement. If you don't mind having the tank 'open', let it dry and shrink for a day or two.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
O ring has swollen. You may eventually get it in another couple tries. Or, it might take until about 5 minutes before the UPS guy shows up with the replacement. If you don't mind having the tank 'open', let it dry and shrink for a day or two.
maybe put in the freezer for a few?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, one issue is resolved. After waiting a day, the green O ring fits again. It was a lesson in Italian design to fit the simple tank cap on the tank while keeping TWO orings / seals in place without popping one off. It was like "what would Jesus do?" and the correct answer was "Jesus would not have done what the Italian engineers did."

No more leaks at least.

The clutch squeak is still there after the cleaning. I can hear it now by pulling on the lever without running the bike. I wonder if it would be worthwhile to lube the basket edges and the ends of the 6 springs? Or just bite the bullet and replace the clutch pack?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts