Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a 2008 848 when I went to go start it up and let it warm it died twice (old fuel?) Been sitting all winter what should I use to clean out the fuel system? Idle is 1400-1450 w/ Termi slipon.

Anyone else think its weird that if you hold the grips closer to the center of the bike and you go to full lock it smashes your hands between the upper fairing? WTF? :mad:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bet your right thanks that's an easy fix. Is it possible the dieing issue could be the battery? I show 12.1V with engine off key on and 14.1-14.2V with engine on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
How was it store? (example I store mine in my underfloor heated garage) Full tank with inhibitor or some fuel and nothing to stabilize the fuel? it could just be all gum up...is the fuel filter the original one.....ect I think its fuel related but then again its hard to guest...

·
Registered
2001 ST4, 2002 M750S, 2008 848
264 Posts
I bet your right thanks that's an easy fix. Is it possible the dieing issue could be the battery? I show 12.1V with engine off key on and 14.1-14.2V with engine on.
Voltage is right where it should be...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How was it store? (example I store mine in my underfloor heated garage) Full tank with inhibitor or some fuel and nothing to stabilize the fuel? it could just be all gum up...is the fuel filter the original one.....ect I think its fuel related but then again its hard to guest...
Just garaged with a charger on the battery. I don't know exactly because I bought the bike from someone else recently. What should I run through the fuel system to clean it out?

·
Banned
523 Posts
they all do that...my 1198 handles hit the fairing when turning all the way. you get used to it quick though, it's not that bad. it's somewhat of a poor design, but this bike was designed with track and racing in mind, not streets and parking :D

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just garaged with a charger on the battery. I don't know exactly because I bought the bike from someone else recently. What should I run through the fuel system to clean it out?
To clean the fuel system out you should add new fuel.. In other words, drain the bad stuff out and fill it up with a good grade of high quality fuel....

I'm not convinced that you have a problem with your fuel though, give us a little more information with respect to EXACTLY what is happening when the bike dies. Does this happen only when it's idling? Is it hard to re-start? Is it happening while you're riding and you're getting on the throttle? you get the idea....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To clean the fuel system out you should add new fuel.. In other words, drain the bad stuff out and fill it up with a good grade of high quality fuel....

I'm not convinced that you have a problem with your fuel though, give us a little more information with respect to EXACTLY what is happening when the bike dies. Does this happen only when it's idling? Is it hard to re-start? Is it happening while you're riding and you're getting on the throttle? you get the idea....

It happens when I first start the bike for the day and letting it warm up. It will start and idle fine for a few minutes then die. If I go to restart the bike after it dies once again it fires back up with no issue and will continue to idle for another minute or so then dies.

I don't have any problems with it killing itself when I am riding the bike or sitting at stoplights, stop signs for a short time with the engine at idle. The bike feels strong under hard acceleration and no hesitation in throttle response. It is very sluggish under 3K rpm and doesn't like it at all but I figure that's normal.

·
Registered
264 Posts
It happens when I first start the bike for the day and letting it warm up. It will start and idle fine for a few minutes then die. If I go to restart the bike after it dies once again it fires back up with no issue and will continue to idle for another minute or so then dies.

I don't have any problems with it killing itself when I am riding the bike or sitting at stoplights, stop signs for a short time with the engine at idle. The bike feels strong under hard acceleration and no hesitation in throttle response. It is very sluggish under 3K rpm and doesn't like it at all but I figure that's normal.
Given all of that I'd say it's probably just fine... might need a little tuning to richen the fuel mapping but probably nothing more than that.... add a bottle of your favorite fuel additive (seafoam, startron whatever you fancy), ride the hell out of it and repeat....

It's possible there's an issue with the automatic throttle advance but I highly doubt it....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for you help I really appreciate it. I just went and started it again while the engine still had some heat in it and didn't see any issue whatsoever. I will clean out the fuel and hopefully that will resolve the issue. Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts