Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, so I finally got my Duc back together, (I took the exhaust off during the winter and polished the pipes) It's an 04 749R, After exhaust back on, battery charged, started right up. Washed and Waxed it, went for a ride about 30 mins after and then this happens.

I went about 5 blocks, stopped at a few stop signs, everything seemed smooth, then it just loses power and the engine shuts off. When I say loses power I mean in the throttle, the engine didn't just shut off right away, i could feel it in the throttle losing power, and then shut off. Took about 10 seconds from going good to coasting down the road with the bike off.

Luckily I was able to get off the road, and wasn't on a major street or intersection. So then I tried to start it again, lights were still on, battery seemed okay, but the starter just kept going and going with no response, after about 20secs of trying to start each time the starter would just shut off, if i didn't shut it off first( It was annoying the hell out of me)

After about 5 minutes of this the bike started again, and I was able to ride again, I kept it on the few blocks around my place at first in case it did it again i was gonna walk it home. But it rode fine.

I didn't go for a long ride, rode for about 10 minutes, stopped and got something to eat, then rode home. On the last 500metres to my house, i noticed again it was acting up, same thing as first but not as bad, after a turn i gave it some juice and it went about 50% of what it should have done.

If anyone can make some sense of this, let me know

Oh and if there are any questions about what happened(maybe I explained poorly) just ask and I can clarify it.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and I had a similar problem last year, and posted about it. Most guys said change battery which I did. So I'm running the new battery now and same problem, however I'm gonna go down and check the battery now and see its status, maybe I bought a faulty one or not having it used all winter screwed it up

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would check the coils. Sometimes they only act up when the engine is hot. I have read a few posts on this forum with this issue.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, I Charged the battery, put it in, ran the bike for a while on the rear stand, seemed okay, shut it off, put my fairings on, tried to start, wont start..same thing, starter just goes and goes..

I took the battery out, put it on the charger and it was dead.

Is there something that could be making the battery die that fast or is it the battery?

If battery, can anyone recommend a good one available in Canada?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Doesn't seem like a battery issue, my guess would be a fuel issue, have you checked your fuel line to make sure they are clear?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
210 Posts
I second checking the coil. Mine did something similar once after washing. Water got into the horizontal coil and made a film on the spark plug connection. A wire brush and never washing it again cured it:) (now I only clean with spray quick detailer or the like)

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Doesn't seem like a battery issue, my guess would be a fuel issue, have you checked your fuel line to make sure they are clear?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
You said it's your 1st ride of the year. How long has the gas been sitting in the tank? It could have gone a bit stale, got a little condensation in it, etc.
There is a way to check if your fuel filter is the culprit, it involves putting an amp tester on the fuel pump leads.....IIRC if the fuel pump draws more than 7amps it's working too hard....but I can't be 100% sure of the amp drawage..... double checl that. However I would 1st dump all the gas, replace with new, then replace the plugs and see what happens.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Have you checked your regulator and stator, seems strange the battery was flat.

I had the same problem on my Daytona a few years back fully charged battery would let the bike run for approx 10 to 15 minutes then it would cough and splutter and die.

Check your regulator first, then the stator

1 - 11 of 11 Posts