Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Robin.
I am currently 16 years old and will be purchasing Ducati 1098 as a first car/motorcycle after receiving the motorcycle license.

Would it be a better choice to buy a car or would motorcycle prove to be better?

I'll only be using it for getting to places and going to school Therefore, decent mileage (reason for purchasing motorcycle) and good price (under 10k) were the main reasons for this purchase, not to mention its performance and beauty of course.

Any comment will be highly appreciated.
Thank you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thats alot of bike for 16. I wish i had the opportunity when i was 16. Respect it for sure is my advice or any other bike for sure. Make sure you always wear gear!

As a parent though i would suggest getting a car first though. I know if i was 16 i wouldnt want to hear that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Obviously a car would be more practical than a Ducati, esp. a 1098, there is no way to argue otherwise. BUT, practicality is an ugly compromise that should be resisted when you're 16. Someday, making the wrong decision won't be an option, but when you're 16, it certainly is and you should revel in it.

But, honestly...you're 16, never owned a bike and are going to buy a 1098 to ride to school...who are you? Props buddy.

Also, invest in frame sliders. No disrespect, but everyone, EVERYONE, crashes their first bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for the suggestions. a car would be much safer and suited to 16 year old...but also much more expensive. Not to mention the difficulty of finding a good mileage these days. it really is bit...no...TOO bold to ride 1098 to school but i don't know..
i'm just an average student, nothing fancy as i'd, or everyone, would like to be. studying to become an anesthesiologist.

with all due respect, please don't judge me as a typical teenager who wrecklessly drives, drinks booze, and hang out with random chicks. I assure you, i don't get my emotions or sudden urges to cloud my judgements. with that in mind, would 1098 be very difficult ride for 16 year old like me? I can't imagine such experience would be like...

low612, seeing that you own your very 1098s, could you tell me the feel is like when you ride?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hmmm.

A 1098 is like a Ferrari. It isn't an ideal choice for anyone who is not a very experienced rider. A Hyper or the Small Monster is still quite a handful. It's too easy to get way over your head before you even realize it.

Statistics bear out that people who start out their MV career in a car -- even for just a couple of years -- end up being less likely to end up in a bike accident. There is a lot going on when you are first taking to the road and you are more likely to be involved in an accident, period. And on a bike you stand a greater chance of that resulting in serious injury or death. Even if it isn't your fault, there are lots of bad drivers out there and you need some serious experience behind the wheel so you can recognize those dangers and predict them.

Moreover, the 1098 isn't that frugal on fuel (get on it and your mileage is down in Corolla territory) and maintenance and insurance costs are significant. The 1098 is a theft target as well.

You posted into a sportbike forum on a high performance bike site, so most of what you get will be biased in favor of -- you guessed it, sportbikes. I'm trying to play the other side of it, perhaps to help you gain a broader perspective. You sound like a sensible person, so please consider making the reasonable choice and sitting in a cage for a couple of years, basic, economical transportation that will afford you some protection as you gain some motoring experience.

But if you absolutely must do a bike now, please get an entry-class bike that is lighter and easier to handle, that won't find you emptying your bank account to change belts or replace body panels when you drop it -- which is very likely as you're learning. And that won't pitch you off because you accidentally grab a bit too much throttle or brake lever.

Spend some time reading stats -- google will give you lots to read.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
uzziah, thank you very much for your thoughtful answer and suggestions. as you recommended, i will learn to handle a car very well at first and maybe in the future, hope to get a slice of the sportbikes. To be honest, I myself thought that I shouldn't be too rushing on such investments, both financially and for life sake. Thank you.

thread closed:.

·
Registered
336 Posts
You best check with Batman, I don't think he'd approve of the 1098 :abduct:

·
Ducati Ambassador to the Vatican
299 Posts
If you are not a troll, you are stupid!
And your parents or who ever gives you the money to buy a 1098 are even more stupid to allow you a purchase like this.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
If you are for real and get a 1098 you will never make 17, trust me on this one.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Ahhh. Reminds of the rich couple that bought their 16-year old son a brand new Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_GTO> for his birthday. Due to his lack of driving experience, and the high performance of the car, he promptly went out and wrapped it around a tree. Result: dead kid and grieving parents that will regret their bad decision for the rest of their lives.

Moral of the story: get either a POS, or one level above POS car, 'cause they're cheap and nothing is going to stop you from probably doing something stupid. The car will get you there and back and if you happen to do something stupid, at least you'll be a hell of a lot more protected in the car than you would be on the bike. One day, when you finally have actual driving experience under your belt, and you are able to predict with regularity what others might do around you, then you can go out and get a lot less powerful steet bike to start with. Somethin' to think about.

If you think everything I've just said is a bunch of crap, then look on Ebay or Craig's list and get that Duc.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Nothing wrong with being 16 and wanting to ride a bike on the street. I got my licence literally the weekend of my 16th birthday and was on the road immediately thereafter - albeit on a Maxim 400. And I've never driven a car in my life (I'm 40 now), nor had a accident, ever (done stupid things to crash, yes, but never on the road LOL).

However, if my first bike back then was a 1098 or a GSXR750/1100 for that matter, I'd most certainly be dead before I hit 17...ditto if I'd not taken the Canada Safety Council Course:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dear brust60, i really was not trolling at all...the 1098 was offered by my uncle for 10k since he owns an motorcycle shop but lives too far for me to practice driving. In addition, the 1098 was cheaper compared to the most cars, especially one i was willing to buy instead of 1098. Also better mileage.

But regarding the safety issues, I do admit that I'm getting chills thinking about it. However, I won't driving like a maniac or any 16 year old posers wanting to show off by a wheelie or like. Just clean and quiet driving, no fancy scheme about it.

dear shawngibson, was it hard to obtain the license?
and also, would it be same measure of safety if i was to ride 1098 at normal speed as any other car, 60 on highway, 30-40 o street, or whichever the road sign tells.

·
Registered
956 Posts
It's not about intent which in your case seems fine I've no doubt you'd be respectful. It's about skill which takes time to acquire. Do the best musicians start by writing concertos? No. They start with scales and more to the point here they develop their motor skills. There is really no denying that the best intensions will inevitably go to hell the moment you grab too much throttle on a 1098.

Licensing is different in Ontario now. It's graduated. But as always a good course right off the bat will make you much more ready for any bike.

Shawn

dear brust60, i really was not trolling at all...the 1098 was offered by my uncle for 10k since he owns an motorcycle shop but lives too far for me to practice driving. In addition, the 1098 was cheaper compared to the most cars, especially one i was willing to buy instead of 1098. Also better mileage.

But regarding the safety issues, I do admit that I'm getting chills thinking about it. However, I won't driving like a maniac or any 16 year old posers wanting to show off by a wheelie or like. Just clean and quiet driving, no fancy scheme about it.

and also, would it be same measure of safety if i was to ride 1098 at normal speed as any other car, 60 on highway, 30-40 o street, or whichever the road sign tells.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts

Take the MSF if you are serious about riding a bike. A 1098 is way too much bike for a 16 yr old. Your uncle is not doing you a favor by offering it to you. It's more like he's giving you a death sentence. If you can't take us seriously then go ahead and kill yourself.

I can't believe you can't find a decent car for 10k. Jeez. You're 16...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Nothing wrong with being 16 and wanting to ride a bike on the street....QUOTE]
You're right. There is nothing wrong with being 16 and wanting to ride a bike on the street. The average 16-year old probably falls into this category. However, asking rhetorically, what street experience do you have?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts