Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I can remember so many times how at that first race of the year everyone’s bikes are so perfect after being prepped all winter. You don’t want to be that guy that trashes everything that first day. :)

(Yes I’m already making excuses for being old and slow. :) )
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
I do know of a number of experts who have crashed in both pit out and the warm up lap. One class champion was on the warm up lap and about 90% destroyed his (shops) race bike. brand new rear magnesium wheel and frame included. Never turned a lap in the national where he should have fought for a top 10 , every one can make mistakes.

·
18,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
A guy in our club that won two novice class championships last year just moved up to expert for this season. Last weekend he was practicing for this race at a Trackday and crashed hard. Had to be lifelighted out. I haven’t heard how he’s doing yet. He has my prayers.

But it happens. Cold body and brain remembering how fast we were last year, cold weather and track. It’s a bad combination that can bite. I’ve done it too.

It’s 38 degrees here this morning and it’s time for me to start loading up the trailer. Brrrr. :)

·
Super Moderator
26,132 Posts
I was once That Guy - toasted a beautiful paint job on a new GSXR750, matching leathers and Gerard Design helmet last practice of the morning, first race of the season.

Go Get 'Em, Mike...but compete safely! Us Old Guys are living vicariously through you!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
A guy in our club that won two novice class championships last year just moved up to expert for this season. Last weekend he was practicing for this race at a Trackday and crashed hard. Had to be lifelighted out. I haven’t heard how he’s doing yet. He has my prayers.

But it happens. Cold body and brain remembering how fast we were last year, cold weather and track. It’s a bad combination that can bite. I’ve done it too.

It’s 38 degrees here this morning and it’s time for me to start loading up the trailer. Brrrr. :)

ONE POINT ONE FUCKING DEGREES cee. FAAAARRRRRKKK that’s cold.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
/------/

Go get 'em Mike, but be safe...take it easy.

I'm glad I'm not loading up this morning, it was 24 degrees F on my back porch at 0630.
But gonna be 50 by 1pm, going to 53 today!

·
18,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It was 50 here for first practice buts warming up nicely. We just finished practice. First session was ok but pretty slow. Running 2:10s. Second session I started gaining confidence in the tires and cold track and went 2:05s.

Whew. The butterfly’s are starting to settle in my stomach now. My race is at about 11:00. Only one today. So far so good. :)

My son has to flag today but he will be riding tomorrow.

·
18,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well, I did it and didn’t crash. Just finished my race. Wow was that hard. I barely finished without pooping out and made a lot of mistakes braking on the last lap. :)

I started 9’th and finished 7’th out of 12 riders in the novice group.

Best part is our buddy and pro rider JC Camacho started in the first wave 30 seconds ahead of my group And he didn’t lap me. :)

Got my lap time down to a 2:01.8

I’ve got such an adrenaline rush going my hands will shake for hours. :)

·
18,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks. I appreciate all the support and good vibes. Just got the boys bike loaded up for tomorrow. Haha. I got more practice than him. Fart will still probably beat me.

·
18,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Day two is starting warmer but thick dense fog. Practice is starting about an hour late. I’m not even going out but the son is going out just for a warm up. Tons of people have already crashed. It’s going to be a long day.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts