Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whew, what a long strange road it’s been. First real race since... about 1984 or so. The end of this month I’ll be 68 years old.

I’m actually a little nervous. :)

Bad part is not riding all winter and I think Saturday morning we get maybe 15-20 minutes of practice then race #4 is 500 Sbk combined exp and nov. Talk about being thrown into the fire!

Sunday is two races, Prov Nov and 500 SS. HOPEFULLY the nerves will be calmed down by then.

The goal is to just finish and not crash, try to have fun, and heaven forbid not fuck someone else up. Problem is even if I start at the back I know I’m good at starts and will be in the middle of shit in the first turn. If in doubt close eyes and send it. :)

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Next week I'll be 61 and thinking I'm too old for that race track shit. :LOL:

Have fun, don't crash seems like the first priority.
Take pics for us. (y)

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Go, Go, GO!

You can do it and have fun, no I do not yet as I am not yet retired but once I am old enough to not care anymore I will. And they do say wisdom helps a little so I will pass on some from older racers/track riders. All are from my recollection and as I get older... well you know.

"I don't know if I should ride on the track or race as I am too old" - from a 50 ear old who will likely never know.

" I have come to the decision that I need to stop riding on the track" from a mid 70 year old who could not rein in his 17 year old brain who would chase any bike that passed him no matter how much better a rider was on the bike. Like a dog after a car it was out of his control to give chase because we are all that 17 year old inside. This was a slow realization as it took him a few decades of falling yearly chasing people on much more powerful bikes and doing a very good job of keeping up. In the end he decided to switch to a safer sport - downhill mountain biking.

Another 70 year old racer who crashed about every weekend and seemingly never got hurt (could not say the same for his bike) ran for a good decade against racers who were half a century younger and beat many of them. it was finally when I saw a photo of hi racing that some of the crashes were explained as his knees were so shot he could not get off the bike and still carried a great amount of lean angle, there was no saving those slides and there also was no fear.

My mentor wanted to race vintage 750cc class and you needed a modern bike license to quallify and be allowed. so he races modern bikes just long enough to get the proper license. He did this by not pre- registering every weekend so he was gridded at the back of the grid, each race he would wait until he was clear of turn one and the craziness and then he would pick his way through the pack often up to a podium. He cared less about winning and more about safely collecting points and by missing the first turn after the start he had no issues with a hot headed teen ( or 40 year old) .

I see many safe racers who have a great time and are not caring about winning so they get to play the game for a long time. Only you know if you are going to be satisfied with your position as much as simply getting out there and showing the rest of us how it is done. I think you are already in a good popsition wither the small bike class you might look at vintage as there are quite a number of good (modern to me) bikes and vintage is not as cut throat.

You will be fine so just have fun, you will quite likely not be the slowest or most out of control person out there so enjoy the day!

·
18,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please don’t rain. Please don’t rain. Please don’t rain. Please don’t rain. Please don’t rain. Please don’t rain. Please don’t rain. Please don’t rain. Please don’t rain. Please don’t rain. Please don’t rain. Please don’t rain.

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
18,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m planning to get a spare set of wheels to put rains on. I’ve been told it makes a huge difference.

·
Official Retired Person
7,300 Posts
Go have fun. Isn't fun what racing should be about? At least for the mature rider anyway.

If I remember correctly (there's that mature factor) you now have a really good bike for this. Enjoy the ride!

Oh, and get plenty of pictures please.

·
18,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Go have fun. Isn't fun what racing should be about? At least for the mature rider anyway.

If I remember correctly (there's that mature factor) you now have a really good bike for this. Enjoy the ride!

Oh, and get plenty of pictures please.
Yes sir, the baby Ninja is cocked, locked and ready to rock. There’s always a track photographer there but I’m not posting any pictures until I scrape up my knee pucks.

There may not be any action photos this time. :)

·
18,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

If I can just beat one other person I’ll be doing my happy dance! Lol. :)

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
First race since 1984??? The tyre technology since then will blow your away. Have fun mate.
Here’s some inspiration...

·
18,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’ve ridden since then. Just not raced. :)

Back then the hot DOT tire was.... I think called something like a Dunlop 391, no that’s not right. But It was like the DOT race rubber of the time.

I know now days a set of PR5’s would probably smoke what we had back then.

Right now I’m running a set of BStones R11. The race version, requires warmers. That’s why I’m praying for warm and dry. :)

Oh, and the video. That’s exactly what it’s like. The big bikes blow by you on the straights and then park it in the turns. But it’s so much fun riding around the outside of them when you get the chance. :)

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Lol, great video..

Nothing like it when you have been hounding a big bike and they give you "the wave" to signal for you to go by ....And then are anoyed that you can't as you have already been pinned in top gear the whole time and have no more to give. I had a instructor waving me by on a straight once and IIRC we had a good long conversation by hand signals that I would go faster if I could go faster but sorry sir this is all I have right now. we had a great laugh about it in the pits afterwards.

It might be my age showing but I do not think there is any more fun than chasing the impossible and focusing on getting the maximum out of what you have. Tilting at windmills on two wheels.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Tilting at windmills on two wheels.
Maybe I should get a small bike that could not do 150 MPH+ going into turn 8 at Willow Springs. Eeek.
The handful of track days I did, that was the only track I really liked.

Well, the CA Superbike School at Laguna Seca circa 1990? But that hardly counts.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts